Help with boots | Golden Skate

Help with boots

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I’ve decided to start skating again after a very long break (like 12 years!). I’m not currently affiliated with anyone or a club and for the time being, just want to get my feet under me. However, the current boots I have, have long since worn out and with all the new boots out there, I could use some help. :biggrin:

I’d be considered somewhere between Adult bronze/silver in testing and hope to be competing early next year. I have all my single jumps and my axel is back with some regular consistency. Spins are a bit week as is foot work. I’m finding that my ankles are not supported well in my current boots b/c they are so old (I have a custom pair of Klingbeils).

I need a lot of ankle support and tend to naturally pronate outward when I walk. (The outsides of my heels are always worn down). I know blade placement has a great deal to do with this as well. I’m also a fully grown adult (emphasis on “fully grown”). Oh, and I have wide feet.

Can anyone suggest some of the boots that are good? I know the major manufactures but their labels are a bit confusing. What looked “good’ (based on their info and knowing what I like and need) were the Riedell Silver Star 355 or Gold Star 375 (I like the cut out in the back Achilles), Harlick Competitor Plus or High Tester (although I’m not thrilled with how high the boot fits in the back), Sp Teri Super Teri CL.

Any comments?

Thanks
Darby

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Darby-welcome back to skating! I just came back over a year ago from a 8+ years of no skating. I had to buy new skates too and went with Grafs Richmond specials. I was more interested in comfort so I went with the Grafs that were more comfortable then my old SPTeri's. Good luck in finding the right skates.

sk8rmom97

Rinkside
Your post doesn't say if you're a man or woman, but I have several female adult skater friends with wide feet to whom it was suggested to buy men's skates in white in order to get the width they need without having to pay for custom skates.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
dwiggin3 said:
I’ve decided to start skating again after a very long break (like 12 years!). I’m not currently affiliated with anyone or a club and for the time being, just want to get my feet under me. However, the current boots I have, have long since worn out and with all the new boots out there, I could use some help. :biggrin:

I’d be considered somewhere between Adult bronze/silver in testing and hope to be competing early next year. I have all my single jumps and my axel is back with some regular consistency. Spins are a bit week as is foot work. I’m finding that my ankles are not supported well in my current boots b/c they are so old (I have a custom pair of Klingbeils).

I need a lot of ankle support and tend to naturally pronate outward when I walk. (The outsides of my heels are always worn down). I know blade placement has a great deal to do with this as well. I’m also a fully grown adult (emphasis on “fully grown”). Oh, and I have wide feet.

Can anyone suggest some of the boots that are good? I know the major manufactures but their labels are a bit confusing. What looked “good’ (based on their info and knowing what I like and need) were the Riedell Silver Star 355 or Gold Star 375 (I like the cut out in the back Achilles), Harlick Competitor Plus or High Tester (although I’m not thrilled with how high the boot fits in the back), Sp Teri Super Teri CL.

Any comments?

Thanks
Darby

Klings...you already have a pair, and they already have your last. They are a good company and this is nothing to mess around with. If they worked well for you before, I recommend getting them again.

backspin

On the Ice
Reidells fit narrow feet better than wide feet. Jackson is known for fitting a wide foot.

I'd second the suggestion of going back to Klingbeil, if you've been happy w/ them.

If you do like the fit of Riedells, I think the silver star would not be enough boot for you based on the jumps you're doing/going to be doing.

Last edited:

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Thanks for the advice. I'm female and I unfortunatly, don't think I can afford a new pair of Klings...hmmm...fortunatly, the purchase is sometime away, so I can continue to keep looking, trying on etc.

Thanks!
Darby