Hugh Jackman on Sunday Night CBS | Golden Skate

Hugh Jackman on Sunday Night CBS

It's the Tonys. There will probably be a scene from Spamalot which is the biggest thing on Broadway now.

But Hugh will steal the show. JMO

Joe

brad640

On the Ice
I hope Light in the Piazza wins some of the musical awards especially set design.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Well, I usually don't watch those shows. Of course, I have no idea who that guy is. :rofl:

bronxgirl

Medalist
Hugh Jackman is an amazingly talented performer on stage (especially musicals) as well as being in successful movies (The X Men). No to mention th efact that he is drop dead gorgeous to boot :love:

While I think the world of Billy Chrystal I could not accept him taming up with Hugh Jackman. The styles are so different and do not mesh easily. There was a lot scripted fluff between them.

Jackson fans - If you can get a hold of a tape of Oklahoma, his Curly in you will have a gem of an entertainer. It was taped in London and shown on PBS a couple of years ago. I was flicking the dials and saw Oklahoma and was about to flick again until I heard OH WHat a Beautiful Morning sung like no one else. I stayed the whole show.

Bronxgirl - It's a pity Hollywood can't find him something more than x-files.

Joe

sk8m8

Final Flight
Jackson fans - If you can get a hold of a tape of Oklahoma, his Curly in you will have a gem of an entertainer. It was taped in London and shown on PBS a couple of years ago. I was flicking the dials and saw Oklahoma and was about to flick again until I heard OH WHat a Beautiful Morning sung like no one else. I stayed the whole show.

Joe, Make sure you try and catch Inside The Actor's Studio with Jackman as guest. Lipton comments on the musical and Jackman replies that for the first 3 weeks of rehearsal for that production of Oklahoma that the director would only allow them to speak the lines to the song. He would not let them sing the lyrics until they had motivation for each and ever word and line in each and every song. Finally someone gives O. Hammerstein the reverance he deserved and it paid off handsomely in this wonderful production. It's one of the best I've seen and I doubt I'll see another one as wonderful soon or as Laurie so beautifully opines in this version..." Many a new day will dawn before I do" :rolleye:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Joe, you should absolutely get to see Jackman on that Bravo special. The director also provided more inspiration for that opening -- said that is the most important five words and sets the scene for the entire musical, so make it special. And if that recording shown on PBS (and it has been shown fairly recently) is an example, he must have always remembered that. You're not alone getting chills for that song rendition. Now I wish they'd show him doing the Peter allen (? okay, is that Liza's 1st ex's name?) show, where he was singing and dancing the entire show. He said it was exhilerating and then exhausting being the entire show.

And don't forget -- Wolverine came after that Meg Ryan film where he played a man out of the past. I forget the name of the movie, but he was drop-dead gorgeous in it.

PS, for those who didn't watch....he sang and danced to "I won't dance."

Thanks Sk8m8 and Johio for the Bravo tip. I'll be looking for it.

As to the Boy from Oz. He was incredible. One of Peter Allen's collaborator's said that Hugh did Peter better than Peter did. When you were on line at the box office people were claiming they saw it more than the next person. It was one upmanship. I hope someone made a tape of that show. It would sell big.

Joe

eliza88

On the Ice
Oh Hugh Jackman! I will have to be sure to watch the Tony's now!

He was amazing in Oklahoma! Well, actually the whole Oklahoma production is simply wonderful...I have it on DVD and whenever I need a Curly fix, ah, there he is! I never really cared for the "Poor Jud is Dead" song until I saw the actor in this production play Jud--wow, what a presence!

The movie with Meg Ryan is called "Kate & Leopold" and it's a lovely feel good romance. I believe the first X-Men came out before this movie. I enjoy the X-Men movies! Then again anything with Patrick Stewert and Hugh Jackman works for me!

eliza88

JOHIO2

Medalist
I knew my fellow GSers would serve up the titles I forgot! "Kate and Leopold" showed how handsome the man is. And I would dearly love to see him do "The Boy from Oz."

Joe, S8m8, & Johio,
The Trevor Nunn version of "Oklahoma" with Jackman and him on Inside the Actor's Studio is some of the best TV I've ever seen in my life. Later on I saw Jackman live on Broadway in "The Boy from Oz" and thought I might have to admit myself to the hospital--or lock myself alone with Hugh in his dressing room.

I saw a special on Peter Allen a while back, also called "The Boy from Oz," and one forgets that for all Peter's glorious talents, he wasn't the greatest singer in the world. His magic was in being a great, incredibly sexually appealing (to everybody) SHOWMAN. The great thing about Jackman is that he has almost everything Peter has plus an incredible voice. Of course, Peter invented it and himself and everythiing.

Thanks for the heads up about the Tonys. ITA with you Joe about Jackman and Crystal. Like salt and coffee.
Rgirl

sk8m8

Final Flight
Rgirl! Welcome back from vacation. I dedicate my 1000th post to you.

The Jackman performance that I'd love to see is his turn as Joe the Writer in ALW's Sunset Boulevard in Austrailia. I've seen that show and always thought that the role was undervalued and needed a "star lead" to counter Norma's character and add balance rather than just be a "Diva Driven" show. I am sure Jackman's turn at Joe must have been a wonder. He received his country's Tony award equivalent for this role.