Ever Purchased a Brand New Car | Golden Skate

Ever Purchased a Brand New Car

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I am in the process of purchasing a brand new Honda LX G sedan. What a trial it is indeed. My husband is making me do all my homework before purchasing. This includes finding the best deal, researching, pricing best insurance costs etc. I am ready to throw my hands up!!!

I have never owned a new car in my life. I hope it's going to be worth it.

CDMM1991

Medalist
I am sure it will be worth it. At least you don't have the trials of wrangling with making sure your used car is legit.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Oh Lad, I envy you. I would love to have a Honda, but my husband is set on a Nissan Murano. We even went car shopping two weeks ago, but couldn't come to an agreement, so we're going to wait until next summer.......Let us know how it turns out.......42

sk8m8

Final Flight
I have bought a new car and I know it's a royal pain. The last car I bought new was one I paid entirely too much money for. I'm a Carmax man now.

Keep your chin up LS...you're husband's right in one thing, by doing all the background check before you buy the car. It's hateful when you find out that you've paid too much money for a car, especially when those "cost" can be hundreds and thousands of dollars.

That being said, I had a friend that recently bought a car and used Consumer Report's car rating and information service off the web. She was very pleased because not only did she get all the "poo" on the car and what she should pay, she also got a guide on the "tricks" and such when dealing with the salesperson. I think it may have cost between 10-20 US $, but she said she said that much many times over by being "forearmed" before going into the dealership. Good lusk and happy driving...Hondas RULE :rock:

Last edited:

Jhar55

Medalist
Yes, just last year I bought my 1st new car on my own and let me tell you without a very caring salesman it never would have happend. My very 1st "new car" was a 2000 Mustang lost it in a wreck so had to get another car. All I can say is find a salesman you really trust.

Skatehappy

Rinkside
We bought a new Honda last year. We did extensive Internet reseach, such as Edmunds.com, and knew about all the promotions, including the hidden ones that the dealers don't tell you about. We worked the numbers and decided our bottom line. We went to all the dealers in town (small city), and had them all make us offers. We decided on one. It took all day at the dealership for us to get our price. We went up the food chain, from the saleman to the sales manager, plus a few others too. They kept insisting there was no way to meet our price. We whipped out the calculator and showed them how, and got our price. Take a folder, a stack of articles, and particularly a calculator. A calculator lets them know that you really mean business. The whole process, including research and dealership trips, took about two months. That included the trips to dealers other than Honda. Good luck!

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I'm saving up for a new car right now... this thread scares me because I have no idea what all goes into the process. I think my dad is going to be very helpful in the process, but I'm afraid even with him there I'll look like an easy mark.

heyang

Record Breaker
If you're a single gal, bring a guy with you. All he needs to do is sit there and you'll get less bs.

Make sure you do your research on all the promotions. Get a couple of prices via the internet. I'm not referring to invoice info, but actual price quotes from dealers. I think I used autobytel.com when I bought my 2000 Sebring Convertible. Let them talk price 1st before you show them the prices you get off the internet. Know how much you're willing to pay and don't back off - the longer the car sits on the lot, the more money they are losing (unless it's a hot model with a waiting list.)

I think I paid about $100 over my best internet price and I did that just to avoid going through the hassle again.

SingAlto

On the Ice
I'm driving my second Honda purchased as new. I bought my first one, a Civic LX in 1991 and it never let me down. I now drive a 2003 Honda CRV, and it's just as great. I love Hondas.

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
I've only bought new. The biggest lemon was the Honda Accord wagon. What a piece of junk. I bought my latest car, Toyota Rav 1V totally over the net. Never set foot on the lot until I went to pick it up. Compared prices at several dealers and got a great price that way> :clap:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
My first year in college, back in 1977, I bought a very used Opal Cadet wagon. I think I paid about $900. It got me around for about a year, then I bought a new Honda civic. Since then I have had a new car (Honda) every four years. Then I stopped working and had a new car every eight years. My last new Honda I bought was in 1996 and now my oldest son drives it. Last year I bought a used 2001 Honda Accord two door. I love it. It is red with tan leather seats. I did go and look at the new Thunderbirds-very nice, but too expensive and they are only a two seater.

Lad-if I could I would send you my husband, he is the best car buyer around. He's a salesmen himself so he knows all the tricks. He is so good at getting deals that his old boss took him along when she bought a new car.

brad640

On the Ice
mmscfdcsu said:
I've only bought new. The biggest lemon was the Honda Accord wagon. What a piece of junk. I bought my latest car, Toyota Rav 1V totally over the net. Never set foot on the lot until I went to pick it up. Compared prices at several dealers and got a great price that way> :clap:

Hi mmscfdcsu! I love reading your posts on FSU. Welcome to GS. :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
sk8m8 said:
That being said, I had a friend that recently bought a car and used Consumer Report's car rating and information service off the web.
Sk8m8, any web addresses for the consumer reports?

BTW, Good luck Lad.

Dee

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Thanks for all the great advice. So far we have been to two dealers and I have emailed four in total. We are doing a lot of driving and leg work, but my husband wants me to get the best deal. I like the idea of taking along the calculator.

I just found out today, that they won't take my poor old faithful geo - 1993 model for a trade because it is a rebuilt. The most I can get for "old bessy" is $100.00. There is a chap at work that may want to buy her, but nothing confirmed yet. Oh man, I think a trip to the dentist is less painful than this experience.

Skatehappy

Rinkside
It's also said that it's best to buy a car at the end of the month because if the dealership hasn't met its monthly sales quota by then, the sales manager will make you a better offer just to meet the quota.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Have you checked out Vehix.com? I see it advertised on the tv & they supposedly do all the research for you.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
heyang said:
If you're in the US, you can donate your car to a official charitable organization and you can deduct on your tax return. Here's link to one such program..

http://www.kidney.org/funds/kidneycars/index.cfm

Heyang:

Thanks for the tip, but the fellow at work is buying my car. The dealer backed out on trading it so I am selling it to a coworker. I am getting less than a thousand for it, but hey, I got my money's worth from the car and it has been reliable transportation for the last five years.