Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Wearing Pants

Ladies Wearing Pants

Now, that we've had one season with the rule in place that female skaters can wear pants, what does everybody think? I personally think that some skaters took great advantage of it and looked great, like Fumie Suguri. Others, I wasn't a fan of. What does everybody think?

Custom Title
    I like it. I think Fumie and Irina looked great in pants, though I dind't think Irina's SP music was "suited" for pants...don't know why. Still her costume was really nice.

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Fumie absolutely gets the Class Act In Pants Golden Hanger Award for last season!! I thought that costume was lovely, and I still we she had skated at World's the way she skated at 4CC.

I also think pants suit Irina, which I actually found surprising. I think she looks better in longer skirt costumes than shorter skirt dresses because she's a little bow legged or something, and the longer dresses IMO make her leg lines more attractive. So I was surprised to find that I liked her leg line in pants almost better than the longer dresses.

Now, we should discuss which dance teams should start putting the lady in pants as MANDATORY depending on what lifts they do.

DG

Rinkside
    I have a question, if pants are newly allowed, how did Debi Thomas get away with it back in 86 or 87 Worlds?? Or didn't they call them pants??

On my best behavior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritz
    I have a question, if pants are newly allowed, how did Debi Thomas get away with it back in 86 or 87 Worlds?? Or didn't they call them pants??
    They changed the rules to prohibit pants after Debi's (in)famous unitard. I believe the rule change was in direct response to her costume, in fact.

Custom Title
    I personally am still a skirt girl but I do think the pants look great on Fumie and Irina. I also think they are great for Ice Dance where some of the moves can be a little revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl

I also think pants suit Irina, which I actually found surprising. I think she looks better in longer skirt costumes than shorter skirt dresses because she's a little bow legged or something, and the longer dresses IMO make her leg lines more attractive. So I was surprised to find that I liked her leg line in pants almost better than the longer dresses.

DG
    I used to think the same about the long skirts for Irina, but I also thought that she seemed lost in a sea of fabric. However, this season she was so fit that I thought the short skirst looked good (actually they were just above the knee, not as short as others, but good for her). And the pants really looked great too. It was a very nice outfit.

What other ladies do you think could wear pants. Maybe Carolina?? I think she would look nice.

Rinkside
    I agree with all the posters who said that Fumie Suguri looked the best in pants; they really suited both her physique and her programmes.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyora
    ...I also think they are great for Ice Dance where some of the moves can be a little revealing.
    ITA and would say the same for pairs.

Go NJ Devils
    I think Suguri would look good in some pants, but not the ones she wore in her Carmen LP. IMO, they were too tight and, being black, emphasized the flaws in her line. Had they been a little looser, they would have camouflaged her line breaks, a striking weakness.

They're not allowed in dance during competition, but the white pants Denkova wore in the Dortmund exhibition program were loose and made her look very streamlined.

Custom Title
    I think they're going to be allowed for the dancers in the od latin combo this coming season .
    I also think Albena and Maxim looked good in the white pants' they made their lines look good .

Custom Title
    I love the pants...Fumie's costum was beautiful, and Irina looked great (i agree with others that its almost surprising how much pants really suit her).

Pants are only allowed in singles, right? If they are allowed in pairs, I would say that Pang looks good in them (I don't like the halter top, but the pants in the exhibition they did look nice on her).

I'm with Doggygirl (welll spinning her words a bit here but...)...pants should be REQUIRED in Dance given many of the new lifts we are seeing....and I"m NOT trying to be a prude (just am, lol) but when you see the underside of the leotard that is MEANT to be hidden by a skirt, it is just distracting; what I mean is that, while I'm not a huge fan of gymnastics...we get those kind of views all the time in that sport, but they aren't distracting because the leotard is never hidden or meant to be...is this clear? Plus, I can imagine that a lot of the taller women would really be able to highlight their stretch/line with the right pants...

Rogue Leader
    Emma, singles and pairs are allowed to wear pants, although no pairs seem to have taken advantage of the rule change yet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilles
    Emma, singles and pairs are allowed to wear pants, although no pairs seem to have taken advantage of the rule change yet.
    oh right...didn't the woman on the russian team...urgh, I forget their names, but the one with the huge tricks but not enough polish...wear pants this year?

It's all about Plushenko.
    Julia Vlassov & Drew Meekins wore pants in their short last season.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I am from the old school of figure skating. We wore pants in the wee hours of the morning for patch (figures) then changed into our lovely dresses for free skate and ice dance practice. Of course, for tests and competition ladies wore dresses. I still like the gals to wear traditional skating dresses when competing. Pants are okay for practice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast