View Poll Results: Supreme Court makes Medicinal Marijuana a federal crime. Do you agree?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! Marijuana is too dangerous to allow even for medicial use.

4 10.00%
  • No! Let the states decide.

14 35.00%
  • Hey, let's just legalize marijuana alltogether and call it a day.

20 50.00%
  • Who cares?

2 5.00%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court makes Medicinal Marijuana a federal crime. Do you agree?

Supreme Court makes Medicinal Marijuana a federal crime. Do you agree?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/06/sc...ana/index.html.

Personally, I'm outraged at the hypocrisy. They keep saying the states have a right to, say, regulate fire arms, yet apparently growing a patch of marijuana and smoking it to relieve pain caused by extreme form of cancer is a threat to the country! I honestly don't get it - there are many prescription drugs out there that are rutinely stolen and used for evil purposes; we don't outlaw use of them for the ill, even the damage caused by many of them is far greater than the harm caused by pot.

I find it very interesting to see which 3 judges descented - O'Connor, Reinquest, Thomas. O'Connor is always unpredictable (interestingly enough, she made it very clear in the descenting opinion that she was dead set against medicinal marijuana). Reinquest, admirable, really voted his conscience here - he's always believed in states' rights, and wasn't going to compromise just because of the White House pressure. Thomas, frankly, I find surprising, as he has repeatedly touted conservative principles over anything else.

Anyway, I'd like to har what others have to say on this issue.

Custom Title
    Medincal use means medicine for treatment. Can you cite any significant medical evidence that cannabis works? After weighing the benefits, and risk of THC, are people better off using cannabis, are there alternatives out there that can treat pain, and nausea, or appeptite stimulation better than THC with less risk. IMHO this is an issue of medicne, has nothing to do with supreme court hypocrisy. There are people who steal FDA apporved medications for evil purposes, but that is a separate issue. For a medication to get FDA approval, companies have to provide evidence that the med work, so why should those meds be outlawed? However if there is post market evidence that these med is too dangerous e.g. cisapride, or terfenedine, then the meds are yanked out ot the market by the FDA.
    There are case reports here or there that THC is drug of choice for some, there are some studies here and there, but are there any significant research and studies?
    Last edited by gezando; 06-06-2005 at 06:10 PM.

I suppose they do need to test them for market but there are so many that say it really works I would allow it medically. I am so tired of that bunch of gun mongers that won't allow them to use it. It's just plain disgusting.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Grgranny
    I suppose they do need to test them for market but there are so many that say it really works I would allow it medically.
    Case reports of people who claim that THC works does not equate to THC is an effective medicine with benefits > risks. So far none of the medicial or pharmacist national organizations are endorsing THC.

In reality people who wants to use cannabis will continue to use it. The medicinal MJ co op will continue to dispense it. Personally I don't care, if the people who want to smoke it are paying the cost themselves.
    Last edited by gezando; 06-06-2005 at 06:21 PM.

Of course, it's dumb but there is more to come from this conservative government. Onward Christian soldiers! and let the meek lose its inheritancy.

Joe

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Of course, it's dumb but there is more to come from this conservative government. Onward Christian soldiers! and let the meek lose its inheritancy.

Joe
    :banging:

This website has some information.

I guess this particular example just struck a cord because of the hypocrisy - let's consider states' rights as more important than the federal ones except for when it goes against "conservative" principles.

Custom Title
    It's easy to see how this happened:
    The Conservatives wouldn't want anything to cut into big pharmaceutical company profits...after all, these are very big providers of moo-law for electing the yahoos who make these high court appointments.

So let's send SWAT teams out to raid cancer victims' homes. Round 'em up and prosecute 'em. It might take the attention off the deplorable state of the USA right now, and that illegal war and general lack of any concern at all for the suffering. Unless, of course, they're rich and suffering. Then we give them a tax break.

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
    I don't have any specific medical evidence, but a friend of mine got very aggressive cancer of the uterus when she was 17, and the ONLY thing that would dull the pain was pot. She survived, thankfully, and now helps other cancer victims by supplying them with marijuana.

I find it appalling that this is now a federal crime.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    Notice that two out of the three dissenters have or have had cancer. Who knows what got into Thomas.........

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Here in Canada, at least in BC, marijauna is allowed for medicinal reasons; however, tbe "healthy" general public who also use the stuff are pushing for its being leagalized period. Personally, I don't agree. My husband and I don't see eye-to-eye on this issue. He thinks if the stuff is made legal it will clear the courts and they can get on with more important cases. I am not so sure. I figure, where do you draw the line? What about people who use it and drive? Is that not as bad as drinking and driving? What about minors? We have so called "safe houses" here for drug addicts to do their thing, but I don't see that helping the issues either. What we need are programs to help people kick their drug habbits, programs to help them get educated and back on their feet and there is a desperate need for housing. I don't think making it easier for them to get their drugs very helpful at all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    This website has some information.

I guess this particular example just struck a cord because of the hypocrisy - let's consider states' rights as more important than the federal ones except for when it goes against "conservative" principles.
    I am not sure whether it is a conservative principle or sound medical practice principle. The link you provided was published in 1999, and just from a cursory read, the evidence supporting the medical use of cannabis is not robust. The national medical and pharmacy associations are not supporting it because of the lack of solid hard science.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz

Joe
    I happen to be a Christian, but I voted to make it legal in my state for people who had medical reasons (for glaucoma, cancer, and other medical conditions it helps with) to be able to use it. It passed in Montana.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloft04
    It's easy to see how this happened:
    The Conservatives wouldn't want anything to cut into big pharmaceutical company profits...after all, these are very big providers of moo-law for electing the yahoos who make these high court appointments.
    If cannabis has solid science and evidence supporting it as an effective medication, then the pharmaceutical companies will be lining up to extract then make big $$$$ dont you think? Afterall the pharm companies are manufacturing synthetic amphetamine like stimulant medications e.g. methylphenidate for ADHD, and narcolepsy. They are manufacturing synthetic opioids for pain, opiates detoxification etc. .

I actually want to see more research on this, since THC is legal in other countries, e.g. Canada, it shouldn't be too difficult to get some double blind, placebo controlled randomized studies going. Preferably there should be some studies head to head comparing THC and the golden standard medications already on the market. .
    Last edited by gezando; 06-10-2005 at 05:25 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by katherine2001
    I happen to be a Christian, but I voted to make it legal in my state for people who had medical reasons (for glaucoma, cancer, and other medical conditions it helps with) to be able to use it. It passed in Montana.
    Interesting, what kind of medical data did they give you to convince your vote? Just curious

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast