First Tropical storm of the season?? | Golden Skate

First Tropical storm of the season??

Figureskates

On the Ice
Here we go....

Something developing off the coast of Honduras and is slowly moving to the north. Over the next several days it will drift into the Gulf of Mexico and strike somewhere between Pensacola and New Orleans. Water temperatures only now wouls support a strong tropical storm or weak hurricane before landfall. And.....there is something forming in the lower Bahamas that could also be something tropical over the next few days....

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Figureskates said:
Here we go....

Something developing off the coast of Honduras and is slowly moving to the north. Over the next several days it will drift into the Gulf of Mexico and strike somewhere between Pensacola and New Orleans. Water temperatures only now wouls support a strong tropical storm or weak hurricane before landfall. And.....there is something forming in the lower Bahamas that could also be something tropical over the next few days....

Great! :rolleye: If they say it'll strike anywhere near P'cola, it'll turn and come my way. I wonder when I'll get my first hurricane day. :party:

Figureskates

On the Ice
This morning many of the computer models are coming around to the idea of a tropical system moving into the Gulf of Mexico then north to make landfall near of slightly east of New Orleans. There is still some disagreement as to timing of landfall. One model has Saturday morning, another has Sunday morning. No one is talking strength, but I ran my own algorithms and I see maybe 55-60 mph in some of the heavier squalls near the northeast portion of the storm.

Also looks like Florida could get drenched as this system will bring tons of moisture north with it so while they may not get the wind, they could get rain, lots of it too, along with strong and numerous thunderstorms.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Figureskates said:
Also looks like Florida could get drenched as this system will bring tons of moisture north with it so while they may not get the wind, they could get rain, lots of it too, along with strong and numerous thunderstorms.

No hurricane day but lots of rain? Bah! Like we need more rain! It's thundering as I type. More of those daily "sea breeze" showers that nobody can prodict and everybody but me seems to love. Yeah, I really want to get drenched on my way home from work. Grrr!

I wonder if the local low lying areas will flood again this year. :sheesh:

heyang

Record Breaker
The experts predict 70% likelihood of higher than normal tropical storm/hurricane activity this year.

Figureskates

On the Ice
The system will be upgraded to Tropical Storm Arlene at 8am.

The system is still somewhat disorganized but it will continue to strengthen slowly as it heads north. Best bet for landfall is sometime very late Saturday or early Sunday on the very western tip of the Florida Panhandle. Top winds in my estimation will be 50-55 mph by then with immediate impact along the coast only. The big story early next week will be the big rainout from the Southeast up through New England. Somebody is gonna get rains of biblical proportions...talking Old Testament.

Arsenette

On the Ice
Hellooooooooo summer! Hope we don't get creamed this year and we have a bunch of storms that curve back to sea and not hit land.. Praying for a good summer... :yes: