• To watch Ladies championships only

Votes: 20 9.5%
  • To watch Men's championships only

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • To Watch Only Pairs

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • To Watch Only Dance

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • To watch all disciplines (My reason below)

Votes: 139 66.2%

• Total voters
I started out just following the career of one particular lady skater (guess who?) But as I learned more about the sport I became interested in other skaters and other disciplines.

Right now, I think the men's division is the most interesting, with Plushenko trying to hold on to his dominant position against the challenge of the "new wave" -- Joubert, Lambiel, Buttle, Weir, etc.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I watch them all, but I prefer mens, then ladies, then pairs, then dance (except for Tanith and Ben - love them :) )

CDMM1991

Medalist
sk8er1964 said:
I watch them all, but I prefer mens, then ladies, then pairs, then dance (except for Tanith and Ben - love them :) )

I love Tanith and Ben too! They have sort of brought me back into being interested in dance, which I wasn't so much since Bourne and Kraatz retired. So now I can say that I really do enjoy all disciplines, truthfully.

patsue1947

Rinkside
25-years ago my answer would have been all of the disciplines, with dance being my least favorite, but I still watched. Heck, even 15 years ago. But now I am only staying on for one particular female skater. I detest CoP, I think judging is going in the wrong direction. Maybe I'm just getting too old, lol, or tired or something. I've pretty much lost my love of the sport. Part of me is hoping a skater will come along and jump start my waning interest!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always enjoyed figure skating, but my great interest in it came with "The Battle of The Brians" in 1988. I really like all four disciplines, but I'm still most attracted to the guys - Paul Wylie, Brian O, Todd, Elvis, Kurt, Takeshi, & Jeff Buttle in particular.

I "voted" to watch them all. I like particular skaters in all 4 disciplines better than others, but don't terribly dislike any of the skaters. I love the beauty and grace of the ladies...love the charm and tricky footwork of Kurt Browning, the power of the men...the excitement of the "tricks" in the pairs...and I've even come to like dance more than when I first started watching skating. There is just so much to enjoy in all the disciplines that I really can't pick a real favorite over the other.

Kasey

Medalist
I voted for all. I have "favorite" skaters in each discipline, either because I like their style, or just like THEM, who they appear to be as a human being. I don't want to "root" for someone who comes off as a classless skank! My most favorite, always, has been men's. The other three disciplines kind of jockey for second place, depending on who is competing. But right now, I would say interest for me is men's, then dance, then pairs, and ladies last.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm definitely a fan of all disciplines. I enjoy all skating, synchronized skating too (though I rarely see it!) :)

K-Mo

On the Ice
I voted for a particular lady, although following her career has me keenly interested in other aspects of skating, which is very cool. While I love the ladies' events the most, I have growing interests in the other athletes, which will make i fun to follow for a long time!

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I chose "all", because it was the nearest. As I started to watch figure skating I loved to watch ladies and pairs, and felt a bit bored towards men´s skating. Later as John Curry came onto the scene, I got very, very interested in that also. I have never been really enthusiastic about ice dance although during the years I have had several favourites in that discipline, too.

Now as the Olympics are approaching again, I´m really eager about ladies, men and pairs event. I don´t have one particular favourite in any of those events, I enjoy watching really many of the skaters. Well, maybe pairs is different, there my special favourite is the pair Shen & Zhao.

Last edited:
I like all the disciplines but my interest lie in close or interesting contests in any given season.

this is not a prediction list for 2006 Olys: (just an interest post)

For Ladies - I don't see much competition for gold, but if Irina falters, I see Carolina coming on strong. The final podium will be interesting. Of course, afterwards who will leave skating? who will go to Worlds? and which upcoming skater(s) will stand out?

For Men - I don't see much competition for gold, but if Plushenko falters, I see Joubert battling it out with Lambiel. It will be interesting to see if Johnny or Jeffrey squeeze in a podium spot. Those not making the podium will hang around for another go at it.

For Pairs - Very highly competitive contest between the top Russian Team and the top Chinese Team. This will probably be a 'hold the breath' contest for the fans. I'm also interested in that German Team, and hopefully bring about more interest in rapport in Pairs.

For Dance - I don't see much competition for gold and the podium will become obvious during the GPs. Where will they put the Kerrs?

Joe

WeirsAngel

Rinkside
First I was just watching michelle kwan and evgeny plushenko...but then I started to watch the other ladies and brian joubert, and then the pairs and Johnny Weir...and Now I watch everything :rock:

emma

Record Breaker
I voted for all, but I have never even seen synchro (but want to) and watch dance the least....partly a time issue, partly when I do seem to catch dance they don't tend to show all phases of the comp and that frustrates me, partly because it's what I know least about (although the sheer skating - edge work, footwork etc, is just soooooooooo utterly amazing to me).

I always seem to have favs in the various disciplines, but really do love watching them all (wish we could actually see more of any given comp), and especially love when the fields are deep and the performances are good...the tension of it all makes me go crazy! And, I guess what I love most about skating is the combination of athleticism and artisic creativity...(i do kinda just love sports though, and can never decide if I like team sports or more individual sports better....swimming rocks, but so does basketball...I just follow few other sports as avidly skating - again time/have to make tough choices; so with basketball, for example, I just watch the end of the season...go Pistons!!!!!).

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I love all of the disciplines. I rank them a little differently depending on whom is skating in any given year, but I feel as strongly about my favorites in each.

Skatehappy

Rinkside
I voted for all. Just when I become disenchanted with a particular skater, someone else comes along. It is great to see talent rise through the ranks, and watch how skaters mature in their technique and presentation.

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
I voted for all, because my option wasn't up there. In order of preference I like Mens, Pairs, And Ladies. I detest dance. Always have since childhood. In my opinion, it is not a sport. I refused to learn it as a child or an adult. I find it a great time to wander, see the sights, etc when I attend Nationals and Worlds. The only exception to this was Klimova and Pomonoranko (sp?).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I watch all disiplines. I barely understand dance, but I love it anyway. I have favorites in all disiplines as well as all different countries.

I have been a fan for 17 years! I was 3 when I saw Scott Hamilton skate (LIVE) and I've never stopped watching the sport. I don't know what draws me into it. Maybe it's because they are, for the most part, a bunch of down to earth athletes, or maybe it's because I freaking cant skate at ALL, or because it's a beautiful mesh of art and sport. I really don't know. LOL. Isn't it sad that after 17 years I still don't know what draws me in?

And I've grown to love it even more since watching the US Nationals LIVE... O.M.G. There is nothing more exciting...

and hey the other fans ain't too bad either! ;) :rock: