Hope you will ROOT for us this weekend! | Golden Skate

Hope you will ROOT for us this weekend!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
We are leaving for our first dog show of 2005 way too early tomorrow morning.

Our Kimba (currently 19 months old) will be going for her first "big girl" trial on Saturday called the "AD." (that's an abbreviation for something in German) It's an endurance test where she will go 12 miles along with person on a bike. Thank God it won't be ME on that bike, because I couldn't make it 12 miles. ;) I couldn't make it 2 miles. That test starts at 7:30AM on Saturday.

Sunday is the conformation show. This will be the first show for our young German Shepherd Ferguson who just turned 6 months old. We shall see. We're a bit short on training IMO. Kimba will also show in conformation in the 18 - 24 month age group. She won 6 for 7 last year, so it will be interesting to see what an the off season and further growth and development, relative to her peers, have done for her (or not) over the last several months.

I'm hoping that everyone at GS will take a moment to ROOT for my babies this weekend!! No matter the outcome, it will be a fun trip. Mr. Doggy and I are also sponsoring a Youth Handler Class which is a great way to get kids more involved in the sport. Kimba was a "volunteer" dog last year, and Ferguson is a volunteer this year - a 13 year old girl will be handling him. I'm WAY more worried about Ferguson than I am about her. :) In any case, it will be fun to go to center ring and help the judge give out the trophies. (It's cool - EVERY kid entered gets a trophy, and they are all the same size)

I know you are all sick of Kimba's Brag Page, but here it is again, in honor of the start of our show season. :) Thanks in advance for indulging me.

http://www.godtw.com/Mittelwest/Kimba/kimba.html

Ferguson has nothing to brag about yet, but here is a pic of Kimba (on the right) and Ferguson (on the left) together from a couple months ago.

http://www.godtw.com/Mittelwest/Kimba/DogsToWork.html

Ya, I've posted these links before but I just HAVE to brag on my babies before I shut down my computer and hit the road. :) Thanks to all of you who root for us over the weekend!!

DG

dwiggin3

Final Flight
I love dog shows! and since I volunteer with Springer Spaniel and Golden rescue, I get to attend them a lot....good luck!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks Emma, Petlover and Dwiggin...

For your positive wishes for us!! We left at 2AM due to heat concerns - traveled from the Chicago area to KY. We made it here in one piece which I guess is the first step. A long drive, but we really love these "getaway" opportunities to camp with the doggies.

Dwiggin, bless you for volunteering with the rescue organizations. That is such important work. I've never volunteered (but want to some day) but have provided homes to many terrific mutts and other rescue dogs. In our current pack, we have a mix breed of unknown species, and a rescued Beagle. It's fun that they all get along with the GSD's and we all love each other!

Will keep you posted with show result news over the weekend.

Thanks!!!! Fingers crossed..

DG

Root for us...

6.gif
Kimba, Kimba, she's the best!
Here's to the girl vom Mittelwest!

Zwei Pfennig, vier Pfennig, sechs Pfennig, Mark!
All for Kimba, sit up and bark!

Endurance no prob, a twelve mile hike?
Kimba comes back, she's peddling the bike!

Conformation, a piece of cake!
She won six for seven, now seven for eight!

Ferguson, our favorite pup,
He'll chew the competition up!

Shake it to the East, shake it to the West!
Watch our doggies ace the test!
6.gif

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
WOW Mathman!!

Your cheer WORKED for today for sure!! Kimba earned her AD. The judge has some discretion over how far they actually "run" with the biking human based on weather conditions. It's pretty hot/humid in KY, so they ended up going about 7 miles. She PASSED!!! YEAH!!! And the judge's only comment about her performance was that she "still had gas in the tank!!" :)

So she earned her first "real" title today. We are SO excited!

Tomorrow is the conformation show. We have all of our fingers, paws, and toes crossed for a good day, and really appreciate all the Goldenskate support! I showed this thread to Mr. Doggy and he smiled that we have so many people rooting for us (AND coming up with cheers for us MM!) all over the place.

Thanks, and we'll give an update on Monday and let you know how the conformation part of the show goes!!

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Kimba is 7 for 8!!!

Thanks again for all of your cheers and words of support!! We are now back home safe and sound. It was a rainy Sunday for a dog show, but Mr. Doggy and I actually enjoyed the muddy and wet experience once we were already muddy and wet!

Kimba won her class which was very exciting. Her "now" trainer brought her into the ring doing a bit of "show boating." :) and captured everyone's attention - LOL our Kimba knows how to make an Entrance!

In other news, Ferguson got his first rating as a puppy. He earned a "VP" which for puppies is the highest rating possible as "Very Promising." He was not in the trophies (top 3, just like FS) but we were happy to give a handling opportunity to a young girl who is enthusiastic about the dogs, while less experienced than "grown up" handlers.

Our next show is coming up around June 25. MM, we will save that cheer!! Thanks for your support and your responses for our Big Doggy Hobby!!

DG

Last edited: