Fox launching skating reality show | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Fox launching skating reality show

emma

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Condoleezza Rice was for sure a competitive skater for several years (ice dance). I don't know of anyone else.

Does anyone know more about her record, which years she skated, her partner, etc?

Skating reality show: i'm having a hard time imagining a free style comp with jumps...but maybe i'm just projecting my own inabilities???? regardless: i'd watch it at least once!

Jhar55

Medalist
When I opened the link there wasn't much info. So when does the show air?
I love reality show unless they are eating gross stuff. (fear factor)
Any way I am there guess I bought that DVD player that records at the right time.

Katya

Rinkside
Okay I'm a little confused about the basic concept, what is it?

What is sounds like to me is, well known skaters would partner with a celebrity and teach them how to perform a program. When I read the article I was actually thinking it would probably be pair skating, since that seems to be what the "Dancing with the Stars" show is like (I haven't watched it), a team dancing for the judges. Each week one of the teams gets eliminated. It might be singles skating however.

So far they are casting for the show, which was why it was in Variety. No news yet on a projected launch (air) date. I know I'll watch it, and I suspect there will be plenty of :rofl: moments!

k&gskate

Rinkside
skating with stars

There are a lot of actors like who play hockey. {Denis Leary, Keanu Reeves & Tim Robbins} Any of them could probably learn a simple dance like the Dutch Waltz. I for one would love to teach Keanu Reeves the Fiesta Tango!! I also remember a SNL skit where Tom Hanks was a figure skater in a skit and one of the cast was Dick Button it was really funny but he looked like he really could figure skate. The ones I listed would never go on a goofy reality show but their are probably a lot of has been actors that can skate also.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Okay, I've got a guaranteed ratings grabber -- pair Tonya Harding with Evander Holyfield. And he's already put in a few weeks training in ballroom so let's hear it for boxing, er, I mean dancing on ice! :rofl:

IDLERACER

Medalist
Fox's six-episode Skating With Celebrities series will feature six celebrities paired up with well-known professional figure skaters. Like "Dancing with the Stars," "Skating With Celebrities" pairs will compete in weekly elimination performances.

Well, if nothing else, this will certainly guarantee Tara Lipinski a few weeks of employment...That is, assuming she doesn't get paired up with Dom DeLuise or something. :p

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, I've been trying for a week and I can't read the article (and can't be bothered registering... :scowl: ). Any real details besides the fact that there will be a new show on FOX?

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
The format

This show has a possible cute format for a 6 week long event. Probably, the stars of the show will be the celebrities. The celebrities will have different levels of basic ability in different disciplines. For example, Buffy The Vampire Slayer may be a good, amateur ice dancer, while Neo (Reeves) may be good at amateur single skating. The stars will attract the audience, and professional skating will get exposure through the professionals, who will hopefully perform brilliantly. The celebs will skate whatever they can be good at doing.

What will probably happen is 3 women and 3 men will be interspersed with 3 professional men and women skaters to form male-female teams. Both partners will skate, the pros longer numbers and the celebs show numbers. The judging will be lenient and based on beauty and clean programs.

The world will see how skating is very difficult, and pro skating may get a boost in the arm. I hope it is fun and works out well. There are many beautiful venues to choose from, including a new one in So Cal. Danny Kwan interested?

sloopie

Spectator
""If it's interesting to see celebrities master ballroom dancing, it's going to be incredibly interesting to see if they can master a double axel and a spin," Fox vice president Mike Darnell told Daily Variety. "Watching a celebrity try to master something this intricate is going to be compelling to watch. We expect a lot of falls and a lot of nerves."

I hope they have lots of insurance.

Spins, maybe, if the celebs were good skaters and have been on the ice in the past decade. Double axels? What, are they crazy?

Assuming Mr. Darnell is deluded, and they'll stick to simple moves, it will be interesting to see who they can get.

CDMM1991

Medalist
Yeah I'm pretty sure it sounds like he hasnt had any previous figure skating experience himself which means he would have no idea the extent of the effort and training a a double axel takes to achieve. (Working on it myself ughhh) But then I think he was mostly made as a general statement ... like at that point he wasnt exactly sure what kind of moves they would be doing and stuff and that was the first skating move that came to his mind. Im thinking more along the lines of single jumps, maybe double jumps if they are all going to be people with figure skating backgrounds, simple spins, and some field moves. No matter what, I think this wacky idea has pulled in skating fans everywhere, we'll see if thats good enough for the ever-important "good ratings".

Speaking of that, how do you think the show will do in the ratings?