question about ice size | Page 2 | Golden Skate

question about ice size

NorthernLite

On the Ice
Professional ice hockey in Europe is played on bigger rinks (probably the Olympic sized surface?). That's why there's an adjustment for Euro players coming to the NHL, and vice versa.
I'm not certain what size *practice* rinks most European figure skaters use.

As others have stated, many/most elite NA skaters are training on NHL-sized rinks, or even somewhat smaller. And sometimes dealing with not-perfect ice for FS (e.g., hockey ice).

Someone at the Onyx told me that Callaghan makes sure the ice in the rink he uses is kept at FS temp. I'm not certain what they do at DSC - it's more of an FS facility, but also does have hockey clubs.

FYI The websites of many US rinks tells what surface sizes they have.

The ice conditions and rink sizes are just something skaters have to learn to adjust to, like touring concert pianists having to play on different pianos.

mzheng said:
It was said that in Moscow or Rusia during the winter, there is no need for Zombinie machine. When the ice surface melted, they just open the rink door, the ice will 'resurfaced', and the ice surface is much more hard than it is in US.
That doesn't really make sense. The Zam smooths out the ice. It wouldn't be very good ice if it just melted and refroze on its own. The only reason you wouldn't use a Zamboni is if you didn't have one.