Greatest American? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Greatest American?

mpal2

Final Flight
I voted for Lincoln and King and then had a hard time choosing the 3rd one. I ended up with Franklin.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Since I've been flapping my lips about it, I figured I ought to actually go there and vote. I went for George, Ben and Abe.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Ronald Reagan did more for our country than Washington or Lincoln? I must have been in all of the wrong history classes.....LOL!

4dogknight

Final Flight
BronzeisGolden said:
Ronald Reagan did more for our country than Washington or Lincoln? I must have been in all of the wrong history classes.....LOL!

I was going to quip, "And in the wrong country", until I accessed the site and saw that Regan did win and he is now called the 'Greatest American'.

So all I'm going to say is, "that dime better not be touched and who's got the Pepto Bismol?"

4dk

JOHIO2

Medalist
Bogus. And you thought all those conservatives didn't watch educational-type tv! Or maybe only young people who know nothing about history voted?

sk8m8

Final Flight
You're right, Johio...I mean, Benjamin Frankiln was the first Millionaire in America. That's the equivalent of being Bill Gates now.

Thom Jefferson sure did a few neat things, but he dipped his quill in too many ink wells.

Abe Lincoln held the Union together and authored modern progressivism...crazy family, knocks you out evertime.

FDR, MLK, JFK...too idealistic, I suppose,

Now I get it, to be a great American you must have acted in a movie with a monkey. That's it!!! It's what seperates dear Prez Reagan from all the rest. Then there's Death Valley Days, but hey, that's just icing on the cake! :banging:

From Mike79's post:
RealtorGal said:
Who won [the Canadian one]?
Mike79 said:
Tommy Douglas, the man who Canadians consider to be our 'Father of Medicare', i.e. our universal healthcare system. He was a pretty good selection, as was Terry Fox who came second.
Americans, take a HINT! With the exception of Clinton, since 1980 every administration and congress has treated healthcare as if it's just another part of the marketplace economy. You get chronic, lifelong catastrophic illness or get in an accident that results in catastrophic chronic injuries, hello poverty!--about $550 a month plus, foodstamps, which max out at about $160 in New York. Oh, but people have family to take care of them. Talk to the people I used to work with--and that's when things were good.

Speaking of family, have a child with a catastrophic illness, good-bye everything you've worked for, good-bye educations your other children may deserve, and most of the time, good-bye marriage.

But don't get me started. As long as people think Ronald Reagan is the greatest American, this country is headed for the pits.

I voted for Lincoln, Martin Luther King, and Eleanor Roosevelt, although I'm very much in agreement with Hockeyfan and could have changed MLK and especially Eleanor with Washington, but given the times and the way she affected FDR, plus my desire for a woman in the top three, well, it's not the best reason, but Washington's place is solid. BTW, my write-in votes would have been Alfred Kinsey (seriously) and Bill and Hillary Clinton for trying to do something about healthcare, but they did it so badly, they took themselves way out of the race.

But apparently these people doesn't rate up there with Oprah--and you're right, Longhornliz, certain people on this board say I'm not in my right mind.;) Oprah is a great capitalist, an extremely popular talkshow entertainer, and mediocre actress who would have been nothing without Lincoln, MLK, and Eleanor Roosevelt. She is indeed "a successful icon [for the success of her show, buying it out, and an incredible PR machine], role mode[for diets and losing and gaining weight, though now--the earth holds still--her weight is healthy and under control]l" and I'll also agree with you on "philanthropist"--good for her, but so is every other close to being a billionair on the list of those alive today. But as an advocate, the only thing she ever took a serious controversial stand on that could have hurt her career was beef because of the possibility of mad cow disease and by all reports, including her protégé, Dr. Phil, what freaked her out was the lawsuit the beef industry brought against her. So when it DID threaten her career, Oprah shut-up about beef.

I'm sorry; I don't mean to diss someone you respect, but Oprah irks me to the nth degree. As for Michael Jackson--puh-lease!

Rgirl