Corp for Public Broadcasting gets $100 million cut in funding | Golden Skate

Corp for Public Broadcasting gets $100 million cut in funding

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I have a full text version of the NY times article on my blog....

This is really unfortunate because it will directly affect programs like sesame street.

Hey, Liz,
Thanks so much for including the complete text of the article on cuts in public broadcasting in your BLOG. (BTW, love the way your BLOG changes colors and music. Co-uhl!) Unfortunately, I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm still PO'd!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!!??

First thing I'll say is that by the time I was in my early '20s, I thought that it this was truly going to be "public" broadcasting, it should include both liberal and conservative views. I'm a raging liberal myself, but public is public and why not include conservative programming as long as it's subject to the same editing as liberal programming. Of course I want to see compelling, edgy programming on both sides and if that means a program on how the Mormon church came to believe Joseph Smith was visited by an angel who told him that Jesus lived in America after he was resurrected in Jerusulem, fine. Just as long as I get to see a program on how the American Atheist movement got started.

Those are just two examples but since cable and the networks only give us "The Liberals Scream at the Conservatives and Vice Versa Hour" then I'd LOVE to see a program where both sides discussed the issues of the day without screaming at each other--or at least without much screaming.

But instead what do these doo-doo heads do? They cut the funding for everything. "Sesame Street" promotes tolerance, says one side. Can't have that, says the other. It makes me sick.

Instead the market place will (and already has) take it over, which gives us Fox "News" (hardy har har) and crazy Nancy Grace on I forget what ultraliberal she's on. Some people might say, "Well, then, the market system is working." I say no. Without a group attempting to bring balance to the programming, it's like major league baseball and steriods. Anybody with half a brain just had to look at Mark Maguire's "Popeye" arms when he broke the home run record to know that steroids were a factor in all this and should at least be investigated. But everybody got so caught up in the home run race that nobdy did a damn thing.

The sad thing about Public Broadcasting is that with 500 other channels or thereabouts on TV, PBS is just lost in the shuffle. Will we have to depend on cable channels such as Ovation, HBO, Independent Film Channel, and Sundance, among others to bring us great series such as "Brideshead Revisited," "Upstairs Downstairs," "Nicolas Nickelby," "Mystery," or other great classics, to name just a few? Or will the cost/profit ratio be enough for even these "art" channels.

So, Liz, do you know of an e-mail or regular address we can write in order to make our feelings known (I know, like that does as much good as trimming my fingernails). Still...

Great post, Liz. BTW, how goes it with the cute intern;)

Rgirl

Buzzz

Final Flight
That really bites! I love PBS! They have some of the best stuff on. I wish they would reconsider. :no:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Rgirl,

I'm glad to see that other people were as appalled by this as well. Truth be told I saw some fall out coming... PBS and the annenberg association had not disclosed all of the funds they paid to liberal lobbyists. These lobbyists were not exactly in good favor with the republican legislature, so when this became public a few weeks ago it pretty much tapped the nails into the coffin that they would receive some cuts in funding. But to loose 25% overal and 50% of what is alloted for educational initiatives was SHOCKING.

To e-mail a letter to the editor, write to [email protected]. You may also send your letter to:

Letters to the Editor
The New York Times
229 West 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036
fax: (212) 556-3622

I would also consider writing the editorial board in your local market, if they didnt pick this story up off the ap wires today... it is likely they will run a piece this weekend.

Aloft04

On the Ice
This is just plain maddening. These people purport to want "No Child Left Behind" and then hamstring some of the best children's programming in the entire world.

Someday they'll have to ask themselves what it is that they fear from multicultural open-mindedness.

The way this country is headed, Big Brother will be blasting Voice of America and the Far-Right Fundamental Christian network to us round the clock. This will serve them well in keeping with the Neo-cons successful ideology of repeating lies often enough make them truth and keeping our countrymen fearful and suspicious of change and diversity.

Sad times in this country....

emma

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
Hey, Liz,
Thanks so much for including the complete text of the article on cuts in public broadcasting in your BLOG. (BTW, love the way your BLOG changes colors and music. Co-uhl!) Unfortunately, I can't say I'm surprised, but I'm still PO'd!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE!!??

First thing I'll say is that by the time I was in my early '20s, I thought that it this was truly going to be "public" broadcasting, it should include both liberal and conservative views. I'm a raging liberal myself, but public is public and why not include conservative programming as long as it's subject to the same editing as liberal programming. Of course I want to see compelling, edgy programming on both sides and if that means a program on how the Mormon church came to believe Joseph Smith was visited by an angel who told him that Jesus lived in America after he was resurrected in Jerusulem, fine. Just as long as I get to see a program on how the American Atheist movement got started.

Those are just two examples but since cable and the networks only give us "The Liberals Scream at the Conservatives and Vice Versa Hour" then I'd LOVE to see a program where both sides discussed the issues of the day without screaming at each other--or at least without much screaming.

But instead what do these doo-doo heads do? They cut the funding for everything. "Sesame Street" promotes tolerance, says one side. Can't have that, says the other. It makes me sick.

Instead the market place will (and already has) take it over, which gives us Fox "News" (hardy har har) and crazy Nancy Grace on I forget what ultraliberal she's on. Some people might say, "Well, then, the market system is working." I say no. Without a group attempting to bring balance to the programming, it's like major league baseball and steriods. Anybody with half a brain just had to look at Mark Maguire's "Popeye" arms when he broke the home run record to know that steroids were a factor in all this and should at least be investigated. But everybody got so caught up in the home run race that nobdy did a damn thing.

The sad thing about Public Broadcasting is that with 500 other channels or thereabouts on TV, PBS is just lost in the shuffle. Will we have to depend on cable channels such as Ovation, HBO, Independent Film Channel, and Sundance, among others to bring us great series such as "Brideshead Revisited," "Upstairs Downstairs," "Nicolas Nickelby," "Mystery," or other great classics, to name just a few? Or will the cost/profit ratio be enough for even these "art" channels.

So, Liz, do you know of an e-mail or regular address we can write in order to make our feelings known (I know, like that does as much good as trimming my fingernails). Still...

Great post, Liz. BTW, how goes it with the cute intern;)

Rgirl

MoveOn.org is also generating a campaign to have this funding restored...they have petitions and ask that you contact your representatives.

heyang

Record Breaker
Great :no:

While the loss of money does not affect Sesame Street, I'm sure it will affect a great number of other quality programs. LeVar Burton's Reading Rainbow almost went off the air due to lack of funding. I noticed that Barnes & Noble is now a sponsor of the show.

I'm not a huge PBS watcher, but it does put on shows that the networks wouldn't go near. I loved the Anne of Green Gables books and thought the Canadian special that was broadcast on PBS was wonderful - even bought all 3 DVD's (although the 3rd was not very good.) I've also enjoyed Rick Steve's travel series and other shows.

I wonder if this will affect the fate of The Electric Company. I thought they read that it is being brought back.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
About the only time PBS has anything on worth watching is when they are having their pitches. I hardly ever see anything worth watching. I know most people like those British comedies but I can't understand them. They used to have a skating show on every year but they don't even have that now. And it sure isn't commercial free. About the only thing I watch is the antique show.

JOHIO2

Medalist
If anyone ever wonders who's watching PBS, they should hear my story. Yesterday I was walking into a store while a man and his young daughter were walking out. I was wearing a t-shirt with the logo of the local PBS station on the front. In that second of seeing my shirt, the little girl (couldn't have been more than 5 or 6) asked me, "Are you on TV?" Shows me that little ones are not only watching PBS, they recognize the local station's logo!

Longhornliz

Final Flight
When I was in college in Austin PBS was pretty much the only network my peers and I watched. Its so popular there that there are 2 networks... klru and klru2. One of pbs' best contemporary shows "austin city limits" is syndicated in most markets, are any of yall familiar with it, its a live music showcase.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
The plot thickens....

I have another NY times article in full text on my blog if you are interested.
Sounds like there have been some conflicts of interest on both sides of the aisle in regaurd to who they are hiring as advisors.

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Public Broadcasting Names New President
AP - 1 hour, 49 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - The Corporation for Public Broadcasting, already embroiled in controversy over allegations of a liberal-leaning bias in PBS programming, chose a former Republican Party co-chairman Thursday as its president and chief executive. Patricia S. Harrison, the assistant secretary of state for educational and cultural affairs, was selected following three days of closed-door meetings by the corporation's board of directors.

JOHIO2

Medalist
So what else is new?

Was watching a program last night about colleges and students and the so-called "social contract" that allowed many poor people access to a college education over the past 50 years. What's happening to the college experience and students and faculty; what's happening to "teaching;" and what's happening to the whole idea of a social contract that puts people into education. Now we are seeing a developing chasm between the deluxe "haves" education at universities and small colleges and the "havenots" education at the community and junior colleges. Guess we can kiss that kind of analysis goodbye. The "free market" system and the conservatives would never fund or air such a "liberal bias" program. How sad.....