Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Johnny Weir's new music

Custom Title

Johnny Weir's new music

In a message from Johnny on the Johnny Weir A Rising Star website, Johnny announced his new music. "I will be skating to "The Swan" by Camille Saint-Saens for the short program and "Liebestraum" by Franz Liszt for the free program."
    Last edited by mmscfdcsu; 06-17-2005 at 11:07 AM.

Tripping on the Podium
    This is disappointing news. I must say I do not find "Liebestraum" to be a compelling choice. Lovely? Yes. Perhaps a little dull? Alas, also yes. I had hoped this year's LP would have a little more "fire" to it.

Nonetheless, I love his skating and will anticipate a stunning program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndmark
    I had hoped this year's LP would have a little more "fire" to it.
    Me too. I was really hoping that we would see the "edgier" side of Johnny Weir - we know it's there - you just have to read his interviews.

That said, however, I look forward to seeing him in any form. I think he's fabulous (along with my Plushy and Eman of course). Ooooh, wouldn't that be a great Oly podium? Plush, Johnny, Eman

Medalist
    Saint Saens again. He already did Rondo Caprisioso last year. :sheesh:

Liebestraum is too soft and delicate, although it suits his skating style I was hoping he'll venture into something new. He did choose Unchained Melody. :frown2: Yes I know it was a lovely piece of program, I just hate the song. Why? Since Ghost hit the theater every radio station played that song and every old prunes sang that song in Karoake Bars.

Custom Title
    Johnny needs to pick music with more guts. I suspect the fine hand of Tarasova in these selections, because both are just more of the old chestnuts she picks for her clients.

Weir seems to relate to these slow, dreary numbers. He is a terrific skater, but his music is frequently a downer.

Go NJ Devils
    Two of my least favorite pieces of music. He might as well to an exhibition to Don Q pas de deux, to hit the trifecta.

Custom Title
    Well, Ilia Kulik had a great "Liebestraum" programme in 1996-1997 season. Besides winning men´s event in Japan Open, that programme was chosen as best performance from all disciplines.

I can see Johnny skating wonderfully to this beautiful, romantic music!!! Great choices for the Olympic season, in my opinion.

Go NJ Devils
    The Protopopovs and Mishketienok/Dmitriev (until the vulgar spirals at the end) had beautiful programs to Liebestraum as well. I think it's the worst piece of music having the most beautiful and memorable programs made to it! I very much hope that Weir's program will be in the same class.

I do think TT is a genius, but why does she keep choosing the same pieces of music everyone else has already skated to? Perhaps it's because audience relates to the known pieces better, but I still don't like it a bit. Let's see what she'll end up doing for Michelle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    I do think TT is a genius, but why does she keep choosing the same pieces of music everyone else has already skated to? Perhaps it's because audience relates to the known pieces better, but I still don't like it a bit. Let's see what she'll end up doing for Michelle.
    ITA - Those two old warhorses. She'll give him a great choreo, but for the Olympics? Evgeni only has to skate onto the ice as will Stephane and Brian.

I was hoping Johnny would be making a statement.

I hope she steers clear of Tschaikowsky for Michelle.

Joe

Go NJ Devils
    Tchaikovsky's preferable to Minkus...

In love with the axel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    ITA - Those two old warhorses. She'll give him a great choreo, but for the Olympics? Evgeni only has to skate onto the ice as will Stephane and Brian.

I was hoping Johnny would be making a statement.

I hope she steers clear of Tschaikowsky for Michelle.

Joe
    Hmmm - I don't think Stephane or Brian are a walk for Oly medals. Stephane has one world medal to his credit, and Brian imploded at this year's Worlds. Plus, Plushy has to get healthy, although if he is, I do think it would take a lot to have him miss the podium (let alone the gold). I think there's several men (inlcuding Stephane, Brian, Johnny, Jeffrey, Evan, Emmanuel, etc) who have a very good chance of being on the Oly podium.

After hearing Johnny's choices, I do think they are very "him". He seems to like the slow, dramatic stuff. I hated his LP music from this last year the first time I saw him, but he did it so well that I grew to like it. This year's SP music is rather , but I'll bet he makes it interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8er1964
    Hmmm - I don't think Stephane or Brian are a walk for Oly medals. Stephane has one world medal to his credit, and Brian imploded at this year's Worlds. Plus, Plushy has to get healthy, although if he is, I do think it would take a lot to have him miss the podium (let alone the gold). I think there's several men (inlcuding Stephane, Brian, Johnny, Jeffrey, Evan, Emmanuel, etc) who have a very good chance of being on the Oly podium.
    I think my humor was off. I was not making a prediction. I would never predict on the last skate I've seen. That's why I am waiting for GPs with baited breath.

Just trying to understand the choice of Johnny's top ten lite classical hits.
    Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 06-17-2005 at 11:01 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I think my humor was off. I was not making a prediction. I would never predict on the last skate I've seen. That's why I am waiting for GPs with baited breath.

Just trying to understand the choice of Johnny's top ten lite classical hits.
    Joe

I'm sure you will understand when you see the numbers. I expect great things from Johnny!

Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu
    I'm sure you will understand when you see the numbers. I expect great things from Johnny!
    I'm a very BIG fan of Johnny Weir, and I hope you are right.

Joe

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast