Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Johnny Weir's new music

Sk8m8 - I agree, the cuts of the operas, symphonies, and ballets are what makes those tired old pieces of music interesting. I enjoyed Sasha's and Klimkin's Swan Lakes and both were different. Emily Hughes had a very good and different cut of Sleeping Beauty. I also like Navka and Kostamarov's cut ofTosca. Otherwise those tunes get on my nerves with the standard cuts.

Yes, I am so into the GPs this year. The competitions in all divisions are so tight this year, predictions are impossible.

Hopefully, Lieberstraum brings Johnny a few GP medals.

Joe

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=JonnyCoop]
    What I am actually dying to know is -- what's he gonna WEAR?? Why am I picturing, for the short, some variation of Ann Patrice McDonough's "Swan Lake" costume from a couple of seasons ago? Or him covered almost completely in silver sequins and white feathers like something from Muppet Show: Arctic Circle Edition??

As long as he doesn't molt on the ice, he'll be fine I would love him in something simple and elegant. He has such a great line. I tend to like his short program costumes and dislike what he wears in the long. Some of the outfits are too "busy" and distract from what he is presenting through his artistry.

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu

As long as he doesn't molt on the ice, he'll be fine
    See, this is exactly what I'm picturing. There's this old Ginger Rogers/Fred Astaire movie wherein they're dancing very fast and Ginger is wearing either a very large feather boa or a feathered gown, and you can see while they're dancing the feathers just flying off everywhere. For some reason I'm just picturing Johnny shedding white feathers all over the place and them blending into the ice and all you can do is pray for whoever has to come out and skate after him.

Custom Title
    So I just read something interesting...to me at least: on the U.S. figureskating board, a poster named Colette67, in a thread discussing Weir's music choices for next year, mentioned that the choice of The Swan is really fitting for him as a double kind of tribute: to Baiul whom he has said he admired greatly and to his coach who apparently skated to it in 1976 (i didn't even know she was a competitor...geez). I just thought tha was neat.

Quote Originally Posted by emma
    So I just read something interesting...to me at least: on the U.S. figureskating board, a poster named Colette67, in a thread discussing Weir's music choices for next year, mentioned that the choice of The Swan is really fitting for him as a double kind of tribute: to Baiul whom he has said he admired greatly and to his coach who apparently skated to it in 1976 (i didn't even know she was a competitor...geez). I just thought tha was neat.
    Priscilla HIll was second to Dorothy Hamil at US Nationals.
    Oh how soon they forget the entire podium. It's like naming vice presidents, although Cheney will not be forgotten easily.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Oh how soon they forget the entire podium. It's like naming vice presidents, although Cheney will not be forgotten easily.

Joe
    LOL! although, for the record, my first memory of watching skating was Dorothy Hamil's olympic LP (I was maybe 8 or 9 at the time)...so, I'm thinking I didn't even see or know about that nationals before it, so technically i didn't forget it

On my best behavior
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyCoop
    As to Bauil's The Swan -- I always thought was from Swan Lake, and not the Saint-Saens piece. Was I incorrect?
    Swan Lake (black costume) was her short - The Swan by Saint-Saens (white costume) was her exhibition program.

average opinionated skate fan
    The Swan by Saint-Saens (white costume) was her exhibition program.
    Indeed, it was! In fact, that very program inspired an interesting thread on "flaps" in a swan program....Who flapped best, who flapped worse, who we didn't give a flap about, etc....

As for Mr. Weir molting down the rink, shedding feathers as he executes his straight-line (assuming that's what he goes with) footwork...a couple of points

While Weir is a fashion forward hipster, I don't think he'd risk his chance at an Olympic medal in favor of making a fashion statement.

Also, he seems like a pretty "tree-hugging, never tested on animals products, fur is dead" kind of guy. I'm quite sure that no Egret should fear for it's life in the process of Weir's quest for Olympic glory.

Custom Title
    Johnny's new Q & A is now up on the Johnny Weir A Rising Star website. He talks some about music and costume.
    Mary

In my heart, I'm actually Canadian....
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz

Joe
    Actually -- according to the USFSA Media Guide -- Ms. Hill was 3rd in the 78 Nationals behind Linda Fratianne and Lisa-Marie Allen and 2nd behind Elaine Zayak in '81.

Thanks for the correction, Johny Coop.

Joe

I think any music will be a bit of a let down from last years whichwas though very overused, absolutely phenomenal when Johnny did it.

Custom Title
    I don't know if that program is going to go well with the judges we'll see

Tripping on the Podium
    I think he's gonna do two great programs. The music pieces suits him very well. It's very beautiful music and he has very beautiful moves, so it kinda goes together...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3