Johnny Weir's new music | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's new music

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yes, and as mentioned earlier here, Ilia Kulik used "Liebestraum" as 1996-1997 season´s exhibition number. It will be really interesting to compare it to Weir´s performance.

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
emma said:
It will be interesting to compare...that was one of my favorite LP's for pairs...just a question though...didn't they use it for LP 92 Olympics? I don't remember 91 Worlds so I could just be confused at the moment. Would anyone have a copy of M/D's Libestraum, or other skaters who have used it for comparison?

Also, is this the swan that Oksana B used for her olympics exhibition?

Yes, M/D used Liebestraum for the 92 Olympics and later at the 92 Worlds in Oakland, California.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I think my humor was off. I was not making a prediction. I would never predict on the last skate I've seen. That's why I am waiting for GPs with baited breath.

:yes: Ah, my bad. I thought that was a bit odd coming from you ;) .

While I am not crazy about the old warhorses, I think most skaters feel safer with them then branching off into Cage's stuff like Buttle did. So Malaguenas, Carmens, Don Qs, etc. are going to be around whether I like it or not. So I just watch the skater and see if he/she can bring something to it that I don't expect.

Johnny, may just do that with Lieberstraum But the music is going to remain corny to me.

Joe

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Well, the new pictures posted on the Johnny Weir Message Board site look great. He looks healthy and happy. Several shots of him working with TT. It seems to be going well. I can't wait.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Johnny, may just do that with Lieberstraum But the music is going to remain corny to me.

Joe, you may be right there. I would have to base my judgement on the cut and the arrangement. If it's the "lilting piano" version, I think you may be right. If he goes with a more orchestral balance it could be interesting. When I think of overused pieces of music, I tend to see how they are presented. In otherword, not all Carmens are created equally. :no:

For instance, I thought Plushy's Version of Carman was great, that is to say the orchestration he used. On the other hand Sasha's Carmen music sounded just like every other one I usually heard. That's not to say that she didn't skate well, she came in 4th at her first Olympics, which is still darned impressive. Just the cuts of the same music were so differnt.

Same thing with Kwan Vs. **** music of Tosca. I really don't like to compare Irina to Michelle because they are both great skaters in their own right, however comparisons of them seem like apples vs oranges. Just keeping in mind the music, I personally prefer Michelle's Tosca music to the cut Irina skated to.

I think if he and TT get together and have interesting performances of these pieces of music, they very well may be "classics." Liebestraum is truely a chestnut if there ever was one, however it didn't get to be well known because it wasn't catchy! :agree: I think there's the possibility of this being a great choice of a lyrical piece for a lyrical skater. As for The Swan, it's a little less overdone, but still in the mainstream and suits his style, IMHO.

I'm with you, Joe. I can barely wait for the GP to begin. I think the GP series is always more interesting the year leading to, and the year after the Olympics.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I also remember in M/D Liebestraum he portrayed an artist and she was his muse. They also used this program for Skates of Gold 93 aired in 94.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I don't have Plushenko's Carmen on tape. Did he use the Shchedrin's version, the onewritten for his wife, the great Bolshoi ballerina Maya Plitsetskaya?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm not a huge fan of overly mellow music for programs either, but I will say that Johnny has the interpretive ability to keep me interested despite frequently using music that would serve well as a sleep aid. (And by that I do not mean necessarily boring, these are both nice pieces of music, but to my rather hyperactive mind, they come off as rather la-la-la-mellow-mellow-mellow-ZZZZZ).
It would be nice to see him branch out and do something a little more "funked up", though.

What I am actually dying to know is -- what's he gonna WEAR?? Why am I picturing, for the short, some variation of Ann Patrice McDonough's "Swan Lake" costume from a couple of seasons ago? Or him covered almost completely in silver sequins and white feathers like something from Muppet Show: Arctic Circle Edition??

As to Bauil's The Swan -- I always thought was from Swan Lake, and not the Saint-Saens piece. Was I incorrect?

hockeyfan228 said:
I don't have Plushenko's Carmen on tape. Did he use the Shchedrin's version, the onewritten for his wife, the great Bolshoi ballerina Maya Plitsetskaya?
Unfortunately, I never saw the Plitsetskaya Carmen. It was choreographed for her by Alonso's husband. When Alonso was permitted to enter the US again in the seventies, she did perform it and it was quite an interesting version of Carmen.

Joe

Sk8m8 - I agree, the cuts of the operas, symphonies, and ballets are what makes those tired old pieces of music interesting. I enjoyed Sasha's and Klimkin's Swan Lakes and both were different. Emily Hughes had a very good and different cut of Sleeping Beauty. I also like Navka and Kostamarov's cut ofTosca. Otherwise those tunes get on my nerves with the standard cuts.

Yes, I am so into the GPs this year. The competitions in all divisions are so tight this year, predictions are impossible.

Hopefully, Lieberstraum brings Johnny a few GP medals.

Joe

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
What I am actually dying to know is -- what's he gonna WEAR?? Why am I picturing, for the short, some variation of Ann Patrice McDonough's "Swan Lake" costume from a couple of seasons ago? Or him covered almost completely in silver sequins and white feathers like something from Muppet Show: Arctic Circle Edition??

As long as he doesn't molt on the ice, he'll be fine :laugh: I would love him in something simple and elegant. He has such a great line. I tend to like his short program costumes and dislike what he wears in the long. Some of the outfits are too "busy" and distract from what he is presenting through his artistry.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
mmscfdcsu said:
As long as he doesn't molt on the ice, he'll be fine :laugh:

See, this is exactly what I'm picturing. There's this old Ginger Rogers/Fred Astaire movie wherein they're dancing very fast and Ginger is wearing either a very large feather boa or a feathered gown, and you can see while they're dancing the feathers just flying off everywhere. For some reason I'm just picturing Johnny shedding white feathers all over the place and them blending into the ice and all you can do is pray for whoever has to come out and skate after him. :laugh:

emma

Record Breaker
So I just read something interesting...to me at least: on the U.S. figureskating board, a poster named Colette67, in a thread discussing Weir's music choices for next year, mentioned that the choice of The Swan is really fitting for him as a double kind of tribute: to Baiul whom he has said he admired greatly and to his coach who apparently skated to it in 1976 (i didn't even know she was a competitor...geez). I just thought tha was neat.

emma said:
So I just read something interesting...to me at least: on the U.S. figureskating board, a poster named Colette67, in a thread discussing Weir's music choices for next year, mentioned that the choice of The Swan is really fitting for him as a double kind of tribute: to Baiul whom he has said he admired greatly and to his coach who apparently skated to it in 1976 (i didn't even know she was a competitor...geez). I just thought tha was neat.
Priscilla HIll was second to Dorothy Hamil at US Nationals.
Oh how soon they forget the entire podium. It's like naming vice presidents, although Cheney will not be forgotten easily. :laugh:

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Oh how soon they forget the entire podium. It's like naming vice presidents, although Cheney will not be forgotten easily. :laugh:

Joe

LOL! although, for the record, my first memory of watching skating was Dorothy Hamil's olympic LP (I was maybe 8 or 9 at the time)...so, I'm thinking I didn't even see or know about that nationals before it, so technically i didn't forget it :agree:

BittyBug

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
As to Bauil's The Swan -- I always thought was from Swan Lake, and not the Saint-Saens piece. Was I incorrect?
Swan Lake (black costume) was her short - The Swan by Saint-Saens (white costume) was her exhibition program.

sk8m8

Final Flight
The Swan by Saint-Saens (white costume) was her exhibition program.

Indeed, it was! In fact, that very program inspired an interesting thread on "flaps" in a swan program....Who flapped best, who flapped worse, who we didn't give a flap about, etc....

As for Mr. Weir molting down the rink, shedding feathers as he executes his straight-line (assuming that's what he goes with) footwork...a couple of points

While Weir is a fashion forward hipster, I don't think he'd risk his chance at an Olympic medal in favor of making a fashion statement.

Also, he seems like a pretty "tree-hugging, never tested on animals products, fur is dead" kind of guy. I'm quite sure that no Egret should fear for it's life in the process of Weir's quest for Olympic glory. :unsure:

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Johnny's new Q & A is now up on the Johnny Weir A Rising Star website. He talks some about music and costume.
Mary

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:

Joe

Actually -- according to the USFSA Media Guide -- Ms. Hill was 3rd in the 78 Nationals behind Linda Fratianne and Lisa-Marie Allen and 2nd behind Elaine Zayak in '81.