Johnny Weir's new music | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's new music

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
In a message from Johnny on the Johnny Weir A Rising Star website, Johnny announced his new music. "I will be skating to "The Swan" by Camille Saint-Saens for the short program and "Liebestraum" by Franz Liszt for the free program."

Last edited:

2ndmark

Rinkside
This is disappointing news. I must say I do not find "Liebestraum" to be a compelling choice. Lovely? Yes. Perhaps a little dull? Alas, also yes. I had hoped this year's LP would have a little more "fire" to it.

Nonetheless, I love his skating and will anticipate a stunning program.

dfj

On the Ice
2ndmark said:
I had hoped this year's LP would have a little more "fire" to it.

Me too. I was really hoping that we would see the "edgier" side of Johnny Weir - we know it's there - you just have to read his interviews.

That said, however, I look forward to seeing him in any form. I think he's fabulous (along with my Plushy and Eman of course). Ooooh, wouldn't that be a great Oly podium? Plush, Johnny, Eman

Crizzy

Rinkside
Saint Saens again. He already did Rondo Caprisioso last year. :sheesh:

Liebestraum is too soft and delicate, although it suits his skating style I was hoping he'll venture into something new. He did choose Unchained Melody. :frown2: Yes I know it was a lovely piece of program, I just hate the song. Why? Since Ghost hit the theater every radio station played that song and every old prunes sang that song in Karoake Bars.

euterpe

Medalist
Johnny needs to pick music with more guts. I suspect the fine hand of Tarasova in these selections, because both are just more of the old chestnuts she picks for her clients.

Weir seems to relate to these slow, dreary numbers. He is a terrific skater, but his music is frequently a downer.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Two of my least favorite pieces of music. He might as well to an exhibition to Don Q pas de deux, to hit the trifecta.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Well, Ilia Kulik had a great "Liebestraum" programme in 1996-1997 season. Besides winning men´s event in Japan Open, that programme was chosen as best performance from all disciplines.

I can see Johnny skating wonderfully to this beautiful, romantic music!!! Great choices for the Olympic season, in my opinion.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The Protopopovs and Mishketienok/Dmitriev (until the vulgar spirals at the end) had beautiful programs to Liebestraum as well. I think it's the worst piece of music having the most beautiful and memorable programs made to it! I very much hope that Weir's program will be in the same class.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I do think TT is a genius, but why does she keep choosing the same pieces of music everyone else has already skated to? Perhaps it's because audience relates to the known pieces better, but I still don't like it a bit. Let's see what she'll end up doing for Michelle.

Ptichka said:
I do think TT is a genius, but why does she keep choosing the same pieces of music everyone else has already skated to? Perhaps it's because audience relates to the known pieces better, but I still don't like it a bit. Let's see what she'll end up doing for Michelle.
ITA - Those two old warhorses. She'll give him a great choreo, but for the Olympics? Evgeni only has to skate onto the ice as will Stephane and Brian.

I was hoping Johnny would be making a statement.

I hope she steers clear of Tschaikowsky for Michelle.

Joe

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
ITA - Those two old warhorses. She'll give him a great choreo, but for the Olympics? Evgeni only has to skate onto the ice as will Stephane and Brian.

I hope she steers clear of Tschaikowsky for Michelle.

Joe

Hmmm - I don't think Stephane or Brian are a walk for Oly medals. Stephane has one world medal to his credit, and Brian imploded at this year's Worlds. Plus, Plushy has to get healthy, although if he is, I do think it would take a lot to have him miss the podium (let alone the gold). I think there's several men (inlcuding Stephane, Brian, Johnny, Jeffrey, Evan, Emmanuel, etc) who have a very good chance of being on the Oly podium.

After hearing Johnny's choices, I do think they are very "him". He seems to like the slow, dramatic stuff. I hated his LP music from this last year the first time I saw him, but he did it so well that I grew to like it. This year's SP music is rather :eek:hwell: , but I'll bet he makes it interesting.

sk8er1964 said:
Hmmm - I don't think Stephane or Brian are a walk for Oly medals. Stephane has one world medal to his credit, and Brian imploded at this year's Worlds. Plus, Plushy has to get healthy, although if he is, I do think it would take a lot to have him miss the podium (let alone the gold). I think there's several men (inlcuding Stephane, Brian, Johnny, Jeffrey, Evan, Emmanuel, etc) who have a very good chance of being on the Oly podium.

I think my humor was off. I was not making a prediction. I would never predict on the last skate I've seen. That's why I am waiting for GPs with baited breath.

Just trying to understand the choice of Johnny's top ten lite classical hits.
Joe

Last edited:

mmscfdcsu

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I think my humor was off. I was not making a prediction. I would never predict on the last skate I've seen. That's why I am waiting for GPs with baited breath.

Just trying to understand the choice of Johnny's top ten lite classical hits.
Joe

I'm sure you will understand when you see the numbers. I expect great things from Johnny!

Eeyora

Final Flight
I love M/D program. To me it is their signature piece. I think it suits Johnny very well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Joesitz said:

Joe

I think that to try to make any statements at the Olympics is not what matters or important at all. What matters is, that a skater has a music and choreography she/he really can relate to and feel comfortable with under a very, very stressful situation. I have no doubts at all that Tarasova will create fantastic programmes for a skater with Weir´s huge interpretative talent. In Weir she has the best possible material for her own talents to be able to be put in full use, really shine in full. Weir, Tarasova and these music choices are the best possible combination, in my opinion.

I´d imagine that for judges it does not matter at all, what the music choices are. The main thing is that a skater has the technical skills combined with interpretation talents and skates to programmes with really suitable choreography. Today the latter means a COP friendly choreography. Weir and Tarasova combined will be able to create and show something that will look fantastic for the judges and audiences.

Weir is my VERY big favourite among current skaters, and if he gets a reliable quad for the Olympics...

Last edited:

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
What a coincidence. IIRC Natalia Mishkutienok and Artur Dmitriev used the same pieces of music for their SP and LP at the 1991 World Championships in Munich. It will be very interesting to see what Tatiana Tarasova's choreography will be like, and how Johnny interprets both pieces of music.

emma

Record Breaker
michaelfsfan said:
What a coincidence. IIRC Natalia Mishkutienok and Artur Dmitriev used the same pieces of music for their SP and LP at the 1991 World Championships in Munich. It will be very interesting to see what Tatiana Tarasova's choreography will be like, and how Johnny interprets both pieces of music.

It will be interesting to compare...that was one of my favorite LP's for pairs...just a question though...didn't they use it for LP 92 Olympics? I don't remember 91 Worlds so I could just be confused at the moment. Would anyone have a copy of M/D's Libestraum, or other skaters who have used it for comparison?

Also, is this the swan that Oksana B used for her olympics exhibition?

BittyBug

On the Ice
emma said:
It will be interesting to compare...that was one of my favorite LP's for pairs...just a question though...didn't they use it for LP 92 Olympics? I don't remember 91 Worlds so I could just be confused at the moment. Would anyone have a copy of M/D's Libestraum, or other skaters who have used it for comparison?

Also, is this the swan that Oksana B used for her olympics exhibition?
Emma - M&D actually used it for both 91 Worlds and the 92 Olympics. Their costumes were almost identical, but different colors (one was a light silvery grey, while the other was a lavendery purple).

And yes, Oksana Baiul used The Swan for her 94 OLY exhibition.