Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How much more difficult is the 'Tano lutz than a regular lutz?

I think it was a pro competition....Boitano decided to put in a Tano lutz and a regular lutz. He wasn't sure if he would be successful with the regular one since it had been years since he had done one and it could really affect his timing.

It is harder to complete a Tano. The force of moving your arms in helps with the rotaion. With one arm above throughout the jump, you don't have full momentum. Even when spinning, it would be harder to gain speed if you had one arm up in the air and had just one to pull in.

There is a girl at my club that does a double that way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 76olympics
    [Brian] is about a month younger than me.
    Me too. 34 days younger to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by dlkksk8fan
    I like the "tano lutz". I would assume It is more difficult to do. I wonder if anyone has done a jump with both arms in the air high above the head.
    I have never seen it but i think i have read that Midori Ito did a 2loop with both arms above her head in an SP one season when the 2 loop was a required jump in the short. That would be very hard because you would have a tendency to raise your shoulders on the take off as you lift your arms which usually kills the height in a jump.

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    It is more difficult because instead of having both arms close to the body, one arm is up in the air, which makes it more difficult to complete the rotations. Boitano was the most consistent with it, and the first one to do this (hence the name 'Tano Lutz). However, a few other skaters have landed it.... Vyacheslav Zagoradniuk (Ukraine), and Ilia Kulik (I have seen him do this just once). There is at least one more, but I can't remember the name right now. Boitano did it the best.

Irina Slutskaya does the double axel with a 'tano' position, and I think last year she did a triple toe with that position. I don't think a lady has done a tano lutz (triple).

Vash
    I like the arm variation that Irina does (her arm is bent at the elbow so that her hand is over the top of her head) i think it looks pretty but i think its easier than having the arm straight since the hand is over the centre line around which she is rotating.

Ant

There was some fluff piece of Sasha ('03 Nats I think) where there were some clips of her practice sessions, and she was doing a 'tano jump. I don't recall what jump it was or whether it was a double or triple though. I'd have to go back and watch it.

Ryan Janke has a great 'Tano Lutz though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01
    It is more difficult because instead of having both arms close to the body, one arm is up in the air, which makes it more difficult to complete the rotations. Boitano was the most consistent with it, and the first one to do this (hence the name 'Tano Lutz). However, a few other skaters have landed it.... Vyacheslav Zagoradniuk (Ukraine), and Ilia Kulik (I have seen him do this just once).

Vash
    Ilia Kulik has done it more than once. As far as I remember he did it in one or two programme during his eleigible career and at least once in a pro or pro-am competition. I think that any jump Ilia is doing, is highly impressive.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana
    Ilia Kulik has done it more than once. As far as I remember he did it in one or two programme during his eleigible career and at least once in a pro or pro-am competition. I think that any jump Ilia is doing, is highly impressive.
    ITA, I have seen him done it at last twice.One was in his R&J(the black costume,can't remenber which competition) one is in his Pagliacci,IIRC it was in 98 Ultimate Four.The jump was superb

Thanks for posting, Oliviajiang. I see that you have been a GS member for some time, but this is your first post. Welcome aboard.

Mathman

Without a doubt, it makes the jump more difficult, and two arms up would make it almost impossible except for the exceptional skater. Has anyone executed any rotating jump with two arms up?

Joe

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by dlkksk8fan
    I like the "tano lutz". I would assume It is more difficult to do. I wonder if anyone has done a jump with both arms in the air high above the head.
    At our local competition this weekend, one of the intermediate girls (whose program I quite liked, if I'm not mixing her up with one of the bazillion programs I saw yesterday) did a double loop with both arms overhead.
    I don't remember her program (I think it was Rainmaker or a Saint-Saens' Carnivaux medley) but I definitely remember that double loop.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Without a doubt, it makes the jump more difficult, and two arms up would make it almost impossible except for the exceptional skater. Has anyone executed any rotating jump with two arms up?

Joe
    I heard someone said that Irina Slutskaya has done one in a competition,but I don't konw it's a triple or a double
    Last edited by oliviajiang; 06-26-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyBallerina
    At our local competition this weekend, one of the intermediate girls (whose program I quite liked, if I'm not mixing her up with one of the bazillion programs I saw yesterday) did a double loop with both arms overhead.
    I don't remember her program (I think it was Rainmaker or a Saint-Saens' Carnivaux medley) but I definitely remember that double loop.
    Brian Boitano did a double loop in one of his programs -- I think it was at Landover -- with both arms overhead, too. Probably about 1989 or thereabouts, I'd have to check my tape, but I believe it was in a program to "Just out of Reach." It was a lovely looking jump.

And Michael Chack used to do a triple toe with his hands on his hips -- for a while, it was called a "chack toe."

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz

Joe
    I've seen it by novice girls in club competitions fairly often (usually with the double loop with both arms over their heads). It's not that unusual.

The first time I ever saw a so called 'Tano position was in 1984 -- Tiffany Chin did her double axel with one arm over her head. Interestingly enough, at that point, Boitano was doing his lutz with a conventional arm position. About 20 years before Chin was doing her axel with this position, Petra Burka was doing a double lutz with this position.

I'm sure skaters did jumps with their arms over their heads even before that.

Tripping on the Podium
    It's actually physically harder to do that variation of a lutz because (and this is going off my limited knowledge of physics) his moment of intertia, which determines how easily one can increase (or decrease) rotational speed, becomes greater as his arms move away from his center of mass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast