Cohen music news (well, sort of) | Golden Skate

Cohen music news (well, sort of)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Someone on her fan forum has annouced that she is keeping her short program from last year, but says she has a new free program, and it is "something classical".

You heard it here first :cool: :laugh:

LBC

On the Ice
Considering she only skated that SP twice and it was pretty well received by the judges at worlds it doesn't surprise me that she'd keep it. She needs to spend as much time as possible on her nemisis the LP. Classical music could mean anything.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Smart choice! I love this program. If she refines it more it will be even more spectacular.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think it is a very good idea for her to keep the short programme. Apparently she likes it, and besides as already pointed out, she only skated to it twice.

bdreampixie

On the Ice
Well, umm, that was predictable.

I could have come up with that info myself. LOL

I actually really like her short, but I hate to see skaters repeat programs even if they've only skated them twice. This is something that always bothered me about Maria B., I love the gal but there's only so much Otonal (or Scene D'Amour, Malaguena, etc.) one can take.

WeirsAngel

Rinkside
Her sp last year was great so I think it's good that she's keeping it. I actually hoped that she would have something more "powerful" for her LP, because I guess that many of the ladies are going to have classical music...

A judge once marked down Kwan for using the same music.

I'll bet the classical piece will be Tschaikowsky's Sleeping Beauty. That will complete her Tschaikowsky ballets.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think it's a good idea for Sasha. Whenever she uses the same piece (even with modified choreography) for more than 1 season, she really seems to grow into it toward the end.

CDMM1991

Medalist
WeirsAngel said:
I actually hoped that she would have something more "powerful" for her LP, because I guess that many of the ladies are going to have classical music...

I'm thinking that too. Like, it seems at this point like she is setting herself up for this year not to be any different than any others: great short program, long program is "pretty" but doesn't exxactly do the trick technically. Mind you, she might be capable to step above her music and her past, but I don't see nearly the effort she would need in terms of important enough changes to take the gold, which I am, surprisingly I might add, actually seeing from Michelle.

Ptichka said:
I think it's a good idea for Sasha. Whenever she uses the same piece (even with modified choreography) for more than 1 season, she really seems to grow into it toward the end.
I also think so for all skaters, but that Russian judge on TV said she marked Kwan down for using the same music. It is a subjective sport.

Joe

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I also think so for all skaters, but that Russian judge on TV said she marked Kwan down for using the same music. It is a subjective sport.

Joe

When was that? I never heard about it. Can you remember which program it was for? Did the judge justify why they thought that such a dedecution would be allowed within the rules?

Cheers
Ant

Crizzy

Rinkside
I don't get why a judge would mark down a skater for using the same program. Why don't they dock Victor P. for using the same tireless program for how many seasons. :unsure: Or in fact just dock points from every skaters who use and abuse Carmen, DQ, Madam Butterfly, Turandot and oh yes my fave Swan Lake :sheesh:

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Joesitz said:

Joe
I never heard that either -- when/where was this? What competition? What program? Her Rach and The Feeling Begins SPs are the only programs I can remember her using more than one season. She also used several variations of her "East of Eden" program (both LP, exhibition, and SP). Which of these was it?

I don't remember that a judge actually came out and said that he/she consciously marked Michelle down, but there was a lot of criticism in high places when Michelle began the Olympic season (2001-02) with the fourth reincarnation of East of Eden still in place as her short program. She skated this in her Grand Prix events (Skate America and Skate Canada), but without the same sizzle that we expected from that program.

So she dropped it at the end of the season and went with Rach instead. This was good enough to claim the lead after the SP in Salt Lake City (just barely, over Irina, by a 5-4 split). But somehow, "you can't go home again." Rach, too, as fine a program as it was, was not as fresh in 2002 as it had been in 1998, when Peggy Fleming called it the most perfectly constructed short program of all time.

Mathman

CDMM1991

Medalist
mmmm I believe somebody like Debbi Wilkes or another commentator said in response to the SLC 2002 fiasco that maybe S+P's second mark went down because it was a reused program (it was their 1999-2000 lp)

emma

Record Breaker
CDMM1991 said:
mmmm I believe somebody like Debbi Wilkes or another commentator said in response to the SLC 2002 fiasco that maybe S+P's second mark went down because it was a reused program (it was their 1999-2000 lp)

I vaguely remember hearing this too...but I do remember some fluff piece on S/P before the olympics where the idea of them (re)using Love story came up, and they were debating it as they had to check into whether or not they would be penalized for it...then they used it, so I always figured that the answer to their question/investigation was NO, it only matters how you skate it that night, not how many times you have skated it before judges.

I didn't know that about Michelle's marks...but EOE was/is one of my favorite of her sp's.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Sorry to bump the thread but I think someone else supposedly "in the know" says that Cohen has yet to decide what her free program music is.