Cohen music news (well, sort of) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Cohen music news (well, sort of)

Kathy

On the Ice
It seems like many of the skaters are already in full gear and are in the process of or have already completed choreographing their programs. I know the word is she's keeping her short, but why wouldn't she have started on her LP? I don't have any idea what a typical time frame is for these sorts of things. Is there plenty of time, is she lagging behind, if so why would she be waiting so long?

waxel

Final Flight
I don't think there is ever an official penalty for recycling a program, but some people (judges, commentators, fans) might say it suggests a lack initiative or creativity on the part of the skater and coach. These are supposed to be world class athletes... they can't come up with 7 new program minutes (SP & LP) a season?

Anyhow, this thread has sparked an interest-- I'm going to dig out my old tapes and compare some of the top skaters re-used programs.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
emma said:
I vaguely remember hearing this too...but I do remember some fluff piece on S/P before the olympics where the idea of them (re)using Love story came up, and they were debating it as they had to check into whether or not they would be penalized for it...then they used it, so I always figured that the answer to their question/investigation was NO, it only matters how you skate it that night, not how many times you have skated it before judges.

I didn't know that about Michelle's marks...but EOE was/is one of my favorite of her sp's.

I definitely remember a post-SLC puff piece where a few of the judges that gave the nod to B&S were interviewed. The Russian judge justified giving B&S her nod because they skated to something original and S&P were re-hashing an old program. I remember being stunned at the time since many others (especially Russians - Maria B, Victor P.) have re-hashed programs. Maybe that particular judge felt it was the best way to answer the question. Or maybe certain judges do actually mark down in presentation for re-hashed programs.

Hi Waxel, welcome to Golden Skate. I hope you like it here. Post often, post long, LOL. :) :agree:

Mathman

soogar

Record Breaker
Well Sasha's Dark Eyes SP looked kind of empty and incomplete to me. It just seemed that she didn't have enough time to put the finishing touches on that program so I'm looking forward to seeing what it's going to look like for the Olympic season.

Plus I think that Sasha really likes her SP costume and wants to wear it again. :p

bdreampixie

On the Ice
Well Sasha used Malaguena for two full seasons and it didn't seem to hurt her at all in 04.

Soogar, I just hope she doesn't change the costume like she did with Malaguena. The original black dress was perfect and one of my favorite dresses I've ever seen and she went and changed it for the ugly yellow Big Bird dress. It completely ruined the program for me.

Fossi

Final Flight
I'm not surprised Sasha is reusing her SP. She wouldn't be smart to have a new SP for the Olympics because she can't skate clean. Having a SP that is more like a habit will be better for Sasha. Look how long it took for her to skate to Mag and not make a mistake!
This is a smart choice for Sasha.

gezando

Final Flight
Fossi said:
I'm not surprised Sasha is reusing her SP. She wouldn't be smart to have a new SP for the Olympics because she can't skate clean. Having a SP that is more like a habit will be better for Sasha. Look how long it took for her to skate to Mag and not make a mistake!
This is a smart choice for Sasha.
OTOH, this is the 4th time she is skating to Dark Eyes in 7 years. What if she confuses the different choreography.

Want to bet she is going with Tchaikovsky for the long?

Tony Wheeler

On the Ice
Kwan used East of Eden how many different times in 7 years? I liked that program every time she switched it, from an LP to an EX to an SP. I liked Dark Eyes as a short for Sasha much more than when she did it as an LP in 2001 and I think it continue to be successful for her.

Having said that, I don't even know if she really is using her SP again or not.

Crizzy

Rinkside
I agree Tony, something about East of Eden that just screams Michelle.
I'm not too fond of Dark Eyes, I love Malanguena, though.