Summer Fun - Kristi & Rudy Pairs Videos | Golden Skate

Summer Fun - Kristi & Rudy Pairs Videos

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
http://fsvids.9.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=521

I guess I've always known that Kristi and Rudy skated pairs. But to the best of my recollection, I had never actually seen them skate pairs until today. Given the age of these videos, the quality isn't what it is today. But if you can deal with that, it's a fun watch.

I didn't realize the did jumps and spins in opposite directions. That must be a choreographic challenge, and also must make the pair spins very challenging. I LOVED watching their various death spirals in different programs. I'm not qualified to comment on the technical quality from an expert's perspective, but it sure looked great to me, and many interesting positions, entrances, etc.

Especially after watching the videos, I can't even imagine how heart breaking the "split" decision must have been for Rudy, and probably for Kristi too. Obviously Kristi made the right career decision, but I have to think that it was hard on her too to *bail* on her partner.

The videos didn't include any info on final results. Does anyone recall what their best placements were at Jr. Worlds, Sr. Nats, Sr. World's before they split?

DG

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Kristi and Rudy (or Rudi at the time) finished 3rd at 87 Jr. Worlds, 1st in 88, National Champions in 89 and 90, and 5th at both 89 and 90 Sr. Worlds.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

IDLERACER

Medalist
Really Cool. :cool: Notice that whenever it's unescapably necessary, the performance skews counterclockwise (throw-jumps, lifts and enjoined spins), which must've been really disorienting for him. It's difficult to visualize, say, Johnny Weir and Sasha Cohen attempting choreography of this nature. To be able to lift someone over your head, no matter how little they weigh, and turn in a direction that you're not accustomed to like that, has got to be a bit nerve-wracking.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
hrmsk8ngnutt said:
Kristi and Rudy (or Rudi at the time) finished 3rd at 87 Jr. Worlds, 1st in 88, National Champions in 89 and 90, and 5th at both 89 and 90 Sr. Worlds.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Thanks for the results info.

Emma, glad you enjoyed the "watch." I suspect we are in similar places just soaking everything up that we can possibly get on the net! ;)

Given both Kristi and Rudy's success as singles skaters, and their great results as young pair skaters, I'm sort of wishing that *cloning* was possible.

DG

emma

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Thanks for the results info.

Emma, glad you enjoyed the "watch." I suspect we are in similar places just soaking everything up that we can possibly get on the net! ;)

Given both Kristi and Rudy's success as singles skaters, and their great results as young pair skaters, I'm sort of wishing that *cloning* was possible.

DG

First: Yeah...I'm soaking it up...cuz' I love it, but also 'cuz i'm procrastinating on other things...I gotta stop doing that!

and LOL about the cloning, that just cracked me up!

And to the others who have mentioned just how hard it must have been to choreograph and execute pairs moves for these two who turned in different directions...seriously, I can't imagine the challenge that was....and yeah, in the lifts and pair spins...wow! Are there other well known pairs who were 'opposites'...does this happen in dance ever?