Fusar-Poli & Margaglio comeback | Golden Skate

Fusar-Poli & Margaglio comeback

According to Spotlight on Skating, Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio are planning to return to competion and try for the Turin Olympic games.

Here's an interesting twist. Italy has two spots in ice dancing. One will certainly go to the current Italian champions Faiella and Scali. They are coached by Roberto Pelizzola, who will also coach F-P & M.

If they are successful, F-P & M will knock out the number two Italian team, Aureli and Vaturi, who are coached by.....Barbara Fusar-Poli.

These are my favorite dancers, since Punsalen and Swallow retired. I was disappointed that their American-themed free dance ("I will survive") laid such a monstrous egg in Salt Lake City.

My dream podium:

Fusar-Poli and Margaglio
Watanabi and Kido
Silverstein and Pecarek

Mathman

Dyan

On the Ice
:clap: to your podium Mathman (okay even though I have never seen W&K skate :p .) I ike to see that one as well.

When I first read about the return of F/P&M I was excited but admit I have mixed feelings. Still happy about getting to see Babs and Mauri skate again but I'd feel badly for A&V if they did indeed lose their Olympic spot to their coach. I remember when the same thing happened to Marika Humphrey's in 1994 when T&D decided to make a comeback.

I do hope F/P&M make a better choice for their FD, I actually did like "I Will Survive" just as an entertaining program (they were excellent at Europeans) but unfortunately it was not a gold medal winning FD. It's bad they didn't save their "Romeo & Juliet" for SLC.

emma

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
According to Spotlight on Skating, Barbara Fusar-Poli and Maurizio Margaglio are planning to return to competion and try for the Turin Olympic games.

Here's an interesting twist. Italy has two spots in ice dancing. One will certainly go to the current Italian champions Faiella and Scali. They are coached by Roberto Pelizzola, who will also coach F-P & M.

If they are successful, F-P & M will knock out the number two Italian team, Aureli and Vaturi, who are coached by.....Barbara Fusar-Poli.

These are my favorite dancers, since Punsalen and Swallow retired. I was disappointed that their American-themed free dance ("I will survive") laid such a monstrous egg in Salt Lake City.

My dream podium:

Fusar-Poli and Margaglio
Watanabi and Kido
Silverstein and Pecarek

Mathman

Wait!!! A coach will skate against her students??? Really??? I can't imagine what that would feel like for either side....and then, the top dance team's coach will coach the coach of the second team to knock them out of the Olympics...Wow!!! i think i have to start following dance more...there is intrigue here than anywhere!

mzheng said:
It's for real?
It was reported in Spotlight on Skating (Canadian magazine). These articles are usually a couple of months behind the actual event, so maybe something has changed in the mean time.

Mathman

ATW27

On the Ice
Interesting, too, by the fact that Drobiazko & Vanagas have also indicated that they're looking at competiting in Torino, if you remember. Any other retired teams want to get back into the game?

Andy W.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Perhaps when Tchernyshev was looking for a partner, he should have looked at Barbara. That would have been a nice pair!

Eeyora

Final Flight
This is great news. They had such an energy to their skating while D/V were my favorite to watch. I hope to seee them in Torino. I find the current crop of Ice Dancers lack something that the top teams had four years ago.

diamondqueen

On the Ice
Fusar-Poli & Margagllio comeback

Good :clap: I hope they do comeback. I really like them and their skating.

diamond :love:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've never been a F-P/M fan because Barbara does most of the skating and Maurizio concentrates on keeping up with her. They lost out on the gold medal at SLC not because of their FS music (which I hated), but because Maurizio stumbled on footwork and fell.

I think they will have problems under CoP. The level of difficulty has escalated drastically since SLC, and I doubt that Maurizio will be able to improve his skating sufficiently after such a long absence from competition.