It's Not Only in Figure Skating | Golden Skate

It's Not Only in Figure Skating

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
The Moscow International Ballet Competition is currently taking place, and an audience favorite, Vladimir Kuklachev from Israel, who is coached by the much-lauded former Bolshoi dancer Valery Panov, was just eliminated. One of the posters on Ballet Talk -- full disclosure: I'm a mod there -- who is attending the competition, compared him to Candeloro, in that what he was doing wasn't entirely comparable to other competitors.

http://ballettalk.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=19766&view=findpost&p=159866

In the BBC Singer of the World competition just completed in Cardiff, Nicole Cabell, by all reports, an excellent technician, won the main prize. A Korean soprano, a huge audience favorite, Ha-Young Lee, was eliminated Thursday by finalist Luís Olivares Sandoval, a tenor from Chile. (What's with all of this great talent -- especially tenors and filmmakers -- coming out of Latin America recently, or at least, getting recognition recently? It's awesome.)

There was a huge uproar from many posters on the BBC discussion board for the contest

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/cardiffsinger05/generic/review.shtml

but one poster, shp from Sherborne, thought her presentation scores were appropriate:

I agree that [Lee] had a good voice, but she was painful to watch and would need to rethink her presentation if she was actually cast as Violetta

Another poster countered the uproar:
Peter from London
I'm afraid I didn't get to see [Lee] on Friday, but I think that it is a little rich of everyone to question the Jury's decision. Opera is an art form based on tradition and long training. The jury consists of some of the greatest living singers and their opinion should be respected. There is so much ignorance when it comes to opera and the taste of the wider public has been sullied by the indiscriminate publicity machines of the record companies. Were, for example, Lesley Garrett and Renata Tebaldi to have come up against each other in the competition I could well imagine the audience vote going to the plucky, "exciting", Lesley. The jury would vote differently.

Lee did win the Audience Award. Maybe that's what the ISU should do: let the judges award the World Championship gold, and the crowd award the Audience Award.

Buzzz

Final Flight
I did not know there was a thing such a an International Ballet competition! :eek:
That is so sweet! I wish we could see it over here. :) I guess it is hard to sell a new and different style to judges used to the status quo. :)

I've been watching the New York International Ballet Competion. It is comprised of pairing off dancers (for pas de deux) if they did not come with one. Every couple does the same pas de deux. For some this can be boring but I happen to like competitions. All are judged individually and not as a team. About half are eliminated and for Round Two they perform as a couple in a dance not exactly ballet. Then the eligible individuals then do a kind of Free Dance of their own choice. I will see the Final round tonight so I will report on what happened tomorrow.

This year's competition has well know names as judges in the Ballet World and includes the Artistic Director of the Bolshoi, and Merle Park of the Royal Ballet from many moons ago. Other judges are well placed judges from various regions of the world.

The First Round pas de deux was from La Fille Mal Guardee(sp); the original French one and not the Ashton revised one. I prefer the original because it is a museum piece like Giselle.

There were lots of nerves, and yes, even a couple of falls, and definitely incomplete tours en l'aire. Last night I learned of the ones who passed on to Round Two. Using the 6.0 system I had scored the couples and I was 80 per cent with the judges.

Last night the couples did a work by Jose Limon. Gawd, was he good!, and I don't know of any companies who continue his works. After they did their "Free Dance". All very entertaining and very diverse. I don't yet who made it to Round Three but I will find out tonight and what dance has to be performed.

Regarding the Israeli dancer from the Moscow Competition, it seem to me he did not follow the rules of the competition. That's too sad. Candeloro did follow the rules.

Joe

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
]

In the BBC Singer of the World competition just completed in Cardiff, Nicole Cabell, by all reports, an excellent technician, won the main prize. A Korean soprano, a huge audience favorite, Ha-Young Lee, was eliminated Thursday by finalist Luís Olivares Sandoval, a tenor from Chile. (What's with all of this great talent -- especially tenors and filmmakers -- coming out of Latin America recently, or at least, getting recognition recently? It's awesome.)

Cool thread!

About Latin America...certainly there has been more recognition (US based) of Latin American (god, I hate to lump all these countries together but...) music in the last say 10 years, and film too...but there have been five noble prizes in Literature awared to Latin Americans, the first in 1945 (Mistral), then 1967 (Asturias), then 71 i think (Neruda), 82 (Garcia Marquez) and 1990 (Paz)...and I've been watching (when I can get them) Brazilian, Argentinian, and Mexican films since the 80's...and Cuban arts (film, dance, music) are simply amazing too (just a bit harder in the US to get to know)...and this is, of course, just barely scratching the surface.

emma said:
Cool thread!

About Latin America...certainly there has been more recognition (US based) of Latin American (god, I hate to lump all these countries together but...) music in the last say 10 years, and film too...but there have been five noble prizes in Literature awared to Latin Americans, the first in 1945 (Mistral), then 1967 (Asturias), then 71 i think (Neruda), 82 (Garcia Marquez) and 1990 (Paz)...and I've been watching (when I can get them) Brazilian, Argentinian, and Mexican films since the 80's...and Cuban arts (film, dance, music) are simply amazing too (just a bit harder in the US to get to know)...and this is, of course, just barely scratching the surface.
The Cuban boy at the NYIBC, was also among the top dancers but that's the way things are in Alonso's School. also for obvious reasons, they had Russian dancers and coaches visiting and teaching especially during the sixties.

Joe

At the NYIBC last night,the dance was a little shown work by Petipa called Satanella; music by Pugni. I actually have never heard of it. Sounded like a bit too much oompah music.

Interesting, many dancers who did well with LA Fille did not do that well with Satanella. So all my prepicked 'winners' got changed around. It does assisst me in my theory that certain styles do better in one form of music than another, and only the most accomplished dancer can handle both well. It's just the way I feel about figureskaters. There are those skates who do well with Tschaikowsky type music and others who do well with Debussy, and, of course, there are the few who can handle both. I think that can be seen in SOI, as well.

Joe