Recycling Skating Tapes | Golden Skate

Recycling Skating Tapes

L

LADSKATER

Recycling Skating Tapes

This is one of those "dull" topics, but just out of curiosity does anyone here tape over any old skating event or do you keep all your tapes? I live in a small apt. so cannot possibly house a huge library of video tapes. Therefore, I often retape over old competitions. I only keep certain tapes - like Kurt's "Singing in the Rain" or Brian Orsers' "Somewhere in Time" and some of Yuka's performances and S&P and B&K. Just depends.

Ladskater

P

Princess Leppard 625

Re: Recycling Skating Tapes

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">I taped over Trophee Lalique of this year. Except for the pigeon, that had to be the dullest competition I've seen in awhile...

Laura :) </span>

D

dlksk8fan

I keep all my skating tapes and do not tape over them. Some of the old ones give me a good laugh especially those ladies costumes of the '80's and Dick Button's comments.

G

Grgranny

I think I'm going to have to get another room for my tapes. :lol:
Don't remember ever taping over an old one. And that's been since 1983! Now if they were all just edited and organized!

A

amykaren

I'm with you there, ggranny. I have lots of tapes from last year that I didn't label right away and it got away from me. I spent one day going through my tapes from 1999-2001 and bought a notebook with it all labeled with notes on the ones I liked the most.

I haven't taped over any, but I wonder if I will ever watch some things again-like Cup of Russia 1999 for example. I mostly watch World's and Nationals from previous years, and the programs I really like. I just can't tape over Todd Eldredge skating to "Who Let The Dogs Out"!! :)

R

rgirl181

I used to tape over recordings until Sergei Grinkov died. I went through all my tapes and was <strong>so glad</strong> I had so many of their competitions and performances. I was also especially glad I had kept tapes of a then little-known pairs skater named Elena Berezhnaya. I have one or two performances of Elena and her former partner, Oleg Shliakov (sp?). I also have a tape of Michelle from 1994, when the then 13-14yo was on "An Evening of Championship Skating." Also on ECS in 1995, I have a performance by Rudi Galindo. I remember telling my sister about how interesting this Rudi Galindo guy was (I wasn't paying much attention to skating from about '89 until '92) and I wondered where he had been hiding since clearly he was quite good. The list of "Boy am I glad I have that on tape" goes on and on--although of course there are many I could do without: One season it seemed they showed Babs&Gags on every televised competition. Such was the case with Petrova&Tikhonov in the GP series this fall.

Also, I find that watching certain ones of my favorite old tapes is very relaxing. My kind of meditation:)

My dream: For DVD recording to become available and for me to be able to transfer the best of my FS tapes in some sort of coherent order. I'd have to lock myself in my apartment and work on it to the exclusion of all else for about a month, but between the movies etc. and everything else I have on VHS, I sure could use the room:rolleyes:
Rgirl

L

LADSKATER

rgirl181 :

Having recently purchased a DVD player, I had the same thought. I would love to put all my favorite footage onto a DVD. What a great collection that would be!!

amykaren:

I did a similar thing as you. I discovered half my tapes were not labeled. So guess what I did one afternoon? I sure saw a lot of reverse fast skating. Needless to say, I learned my lesson about labeling my tapes.

Ladskater

S

Sundancer61

I never taped over a skating tape, have about 400 now and one of the reasons I moved two a bigger apartment two years ago was to have more room for my tapes, books and CDs... But I guess that in another ten years or so I will be forced to move again for the same reason!

K

Kara Bear

I've been taping since '98. However, having recently moved, I don't know where half of them are. I'm guessing my parents garage somewheres. My dorky boyfriend has found a way to tape tv on his computer so thats what I'm going to start doing. I think he's close to figuring out how to transfer vhs to his computer so we can burn them on cds. That will definetly save on room. I just have to find all the tapes. Sigh, I really feel like watching '98 pairs Olympics right now.

J

jharland

I tape over some depending what's on them.
There is a DVD / VCR player that you can copy from tape to DVD. I think Phillips makes it. I want one but too cheap to buy it.

D

dlksk8fan

rgirl that technology is available. I am able to copy vhs to dvds with my iMac. I just need to get a DV Bridge to connect everything. My nephew has one and he has already copied some vhs of when he and his brother were little for my sister.

H

heyang

I have to admit that I've taped over some. I generally save the majors - US Nat's, Oly's, WOrlds, SOi and COI. I don't keep the Grand Prix series because they seem so repetitive and the programs usually are more refined for World's. I also tape over the skating shows that show little skating - the ones where they show the singers more than the skaters.

I regret that some of my tapes were not taped in SP since they don't seem to play as well. It's also a case of the VCR not being maintained well or being replaced due to poor quality. Some of the tapes that played well on the old vcr don't play well on the new vcr - already tried adjusting the tracking to no avail.

If DVD recording ever becomes affordable, I will copy my tapes to DVD and trash the tapes.

Every year I start a spreadsheet for each tape, but usually end up giving up on it. I'd like to keep track of the event, skater, music, etc. Maybe I should write a program or something.

D

DORISPULASKI

I almost never tape over, and am very glad that I can still watch some of the older programs that are favorites of mine.
On the other hand, I have no room for either my books and tapes and very seldom tape any more-no room!!
I am so glad that I taped the whole of the pairs SP&LP and ladies SP at 2002 Oly's. Really lucked out on those.

dpp

S

Show 42

I have been taping skating events since 1988 and I have kept them all. Unfortunately, the years 1988 to 1990 were on Beta format........... :rolleyes: 42

G

Grgranny

When you copy your tape to DVD, can you edit out the commercials,etc.? I'm not even sure what a DVD can do.