"War of the Worlds".......... | Golden Skate

"War of the Worlds"..........

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Just came back from seeing this flick and I must say, Speilberg has done it again. Tom Cruise was his usual self, did a good job, but the highlights, acting wise, was Tim Robbins and Dakota Fanning.......The first twenty or so minutes of the movie is intense. The scene from the farmhouse, which was also in the original movie was a bit overdone, but the intensity continues to build in what to me, was an ending with a bit of a let down. All in all, a big :agree: for me....42

Aloft04

On the Ice
We went tonight too, we must've been sitting behind you show 42.

It's a cheesefest, but an enjoyable one.

Buzzz

Final Flight
I want to see this one! I LOVE sci-fi movies, but i also want to see ROTS again before it is pulled from cinemas. Decisions...decisions....decisions.... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Figureskates

On the Ice
Just came back from seeing it...we both liked it.

It was pretty close to the HG Wells story in what the machines looked like and how the movie ended. I would have been disappointed if the ending were different from the HG Wells ending.

Special effects were great and it was intense but I don't think you could call any of the scene gory.

Skate Sandee

On the Ice
I think a lot of people will be disappointed that some questions were left unanswered. And yes, I wish I understood a little more behind how the tripods got there, and a little slower unfolding of the aliens downfall (seemed very abrupt). But I adore (to the point of addiction) disaster movies. And this one blew me away purely on that level. Great FX all around!

K-Mo

On the Ice
I thought the whole movie was intense! I like it when Spielberg makes scary movies. It's the type of movie that is well done, so it's fun to get caught up in it. It was just a good time at the movies.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Good points, Sandee. In the original, it wasn't clear why or how the aliens got here and the ending was abrupt as well, with the ships crashing and the aliens dying from their inability to fight off our viruses. I like the idea better that these aliens were cruising the galaxy looking for some world to conquer, than the fact they have been here all along, waiting for the right moment to pilot their "tripods" via lightening bolts........that part was a little far fetched. All in all, I think the last time I was that scared was watching the third "Jurassic Park" movie.............still a "thumbs up" for me........42

Buzzz

Final Flight
I loved it. I thought that the first few minutes were intense! But the ending was not good, but overall a great movie. Tom Cruise was very good. :)

I'm not a movie goer but to avoid the noise of the NY fireworks, I went to see it and it was just as noisy.

Dakota Fanning is arguably the best kid in movies right now. Tom Cruise is adequate as a father. Tim Robbins makes a great weirdo. Spielberg's direction and Williams' score is so reminiscent of Jaws. Just nothing special about this and if you miss it don't fret.

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
Definitely not the movie to watch if you're not a fan of thrillers and/or sci-fi. I thought it was well done for the genre. Lots of good effects. Respectable to excellent acting from the actors and actresses - it's not supposed to make your laugh or cry.

Joe, did you see Mad Hot Ballroom?

sk8m8

Final Flight
Amen, Heyang. You caught my sentiments of this movie. Not my cup of tea; I prefer movies that are dialogue driven. It is completely up to Speilbrg production values and narrative direction. In many ways, though, I think it was a typically wonderful Speilberg production of a somewhat uneven script that not even great direction could correct. It happens. For the Sci-Fi/Thriller Action movie fans...
I think it will be an enjoyable ride. Plenty of special effects eye-candy bang for the buck for the sci-fiers, and Tom Cruise as eye candy for the "chiseled face leading man" fans :cool:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Good comments. Everyone goes to the "flicks" for different reasons. When I go, I want to be blown away with pure fantasy and enjoyment. There are enough real life dramas on the news and the net to suffice. I don't want to see that in particular when I go to the movies. Sk8m8.......dialogue driven dramas are what I look for in a good read. I like my movie experiences to be "bigger than life"... ;) 42

equestrianguy

On the Ice
If you want to see great special effects then go see the movie. It is not something I will probably buy on DVD or go see again, but it is a good waste of 2 hour movie watching. There were a couple scenes in the movie that got you on the edge of your seat. The acting was ok...nothing special. At least it begins and ends with Morgan Freeman's voice..lol I thought the scene with Tim Robbins drug on WAY to long and was a little strange...The first half of the movie worked for me, but the closing didn't...Hmmmm maybe if someone besides Tom Cruise would have played the lead role I would think diferently..lol