Question about music with vocals in new system | Golden Skate

Question about music with vocals in new system

anya_angie

Final Flight
I was talking with a coach, I sent her The Hunchback of Notre Dame's Sanctuary and "And He Shall Smite The Wicked" and she said that it would not be allowed in singles competition because of the Latin chanting vocals. I wanted to know if that is true?

http://filmtracks.com/titles/hunchback.html

Track 11, Sanctuary, is the only one that I can get samples of there. I'd appreciate thoughts on this because it is impossible to find a nonvocal version of this score.

sk8rmom97

Rinkside
My USFSA rulebook (which is the 2004 one) says for singles skating "When vocal music with lyrics has been chosen, a deduction of 0.1 must be made in the presentation mark." I don't know how that translates to the new system, but I guess it depends on if the chanting is considered lyrics. If there are words, it's probably not legal. I'm hardly an expert, though. I'd just pick music without vocal anything.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Ah ok, thanks. I was wondering why no one has used Carmina Burana as of late! LOL!

Here are the "lyrics" to Sanctuary...

Judex crederis esse venturus
In te, Domine, speravi
Non confundar in aeternum
Salvum fac populum tuum
Judex crederis
Libera me Domine
Libera me Domine de morte aeterna
In die illa tremenda
Quando caeli movendi sunt
Caeli et terra
Dum veneris judicare
O, salutaris hostia
Quae caeli pandis ostium
Bella premunt hostilia
Da robur, fer auxilium
Sit sempiterna gloria
Sit sempiterna gloria
Sit sempiterna gloria
Gloria, gloria semper
Sanctus, sanctus in excelsis
Mors stupebit et natura
Cum resurget creatura
Judicanti responsurra
Judex ergo cum sedebit
Nil inultum remanebit
Quem patronum rogaturus
Cum vix justus sit securus?
Juste Judex ultionis
Ante diem rationis
Kyrie Eleison

sk8rmom97

Rinkside
If you really want to skate to it, you can use vocal music in ISI competitions, and in an artistic program in USFSA, just not in a singles freestyle program.

Kasey

Medalist
I thought at some point Todd Eldredge had argued the point for "Carmina Burana" because Latin is a "Dead" language, and therefore the vocals are merely instrumentation? Not sure....