Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Live v. Memorex

Live v. Memorex

OK, here's another dead horse we can beat during the pre-season!!

Obviously watching an event live is very different than watching it on TV. While this enters into discussions on many different types of threads, I would be interested in everyone's thoughts in one place. I have yet to see a live competition - Nationals in STL will be my first and I can't wait!!

So...I'm intersted in any and all comments from you world travelers out there regarding the top skaters.

Thanks!!
    DG

Custom Title
    The last competition I saw live was the 2005 Canadian Nationals. And I must say, it's true that things are different than on TV, especially in the mens event.

The main difference I saw was that live, it's unbelievable how little speed Emanuel carries across the ice. I mean, he gets to where he's going, but could definitely pack a lot more power. Whereas I found that live, Jeff appears to carry more speed than he seems to on TV. Both skaters are extremely beautiful to watch though.

It's also a bit easier to detect the 'seasoned' competitors - to see the little minor differences in skill and the skating basics when you're watching live. On TV they just seem to make it so that you can easily see the jumps and spins and stuff, but live, you tend to notice the little things more.

Sexy, smart and sterilized! childfreegirl's Avatar
    I've never seen a competition live either and Nats next year will be my first, but I've seen one COI and three SOIs and one club show (B'ham's a few years ago - PJZ ) live. And there is a big difference. Live you get the whole atmosphere thing going and I agree with seeing the difference in speed. It's also great to see the skaters up close.

Quote Originally Posted by screech
    The main difference I saw was that live, it's unbelievable how little speed Emanuel carries across the ice. I mean, he gets to where he's going, but could definitely pack a lot more power. Whereas I found that live, Jeff appears to carry more speed than he seems to on TV. Both skaters are extremely beautiful to watch though.

Interesting!! I never would have guessed that Buttle carries more speed than e-man from TV. I like them both!

DG

as already said you notice more things... speed is completely different than it is on TV. I have become a fan of Orscher and Lucash because they look so much better live than they do on TV...

I enjoy the atmosphere as well... at home I'm either explaining what's going on to everyone in the room or I'm by myself... at the event though I can sit back and relax and let the energy of the crowd give me this sort of emotional high... it rocks

here's hoping I'll make it to STL!

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Doggygirl ... great that you're going to Nationals!!! I have been to two now, and there's nothing like it! I am so amazed at the speed of some of the skaters ... like night and day to watching it on TV. Go to the practices if at all possible. I think I enjoy them as much, if not more, than the actual competition. Talk about speed ... WOW!!!!

I'll be in STL also ... should be very exciting!!!

Childfree and nymkfan, I'm sure we will be able to organize SOMETHING to get together while we are there. I cannot wait. I've been a casual FS fan since Peggy Flemming won the Olys. (LOL, whenever I claim to be a Dirty Old Lady, it's totally legit!) I pre-ordered the all event ticket, so I'm hoping to see as much action as possible including practices. After so many years, I want it ALL!!!! What a great year to have nationals so close to home. (I'm in the Chicago area)

DG

Custom Title
    Having been to several Nationals, I agree you should go to practices as much as possible -- you get a good idea of how people are skating and get a chance to see who's skating well and what moves are causing people problems. Plus, it's just fun to watch practices! I'd also suggest you make sure to try to take in some of the junior and novice skating -- don't get so locked into watching practices that you miss the up-and-comers. It's such fun to see the youngsters skate, to decide who you think should have won and/or who will got on to bigger things, and pick the ones you like best and follow their careers. And if you see one of the ones who "makes it" later on, it makes following their careers even more fun, because you've been in on the "early years."

Most of all, just enjoy yourself. I have great memories of the nationals I attended.

Been to Nationals once and I am going this year too. Been to Skate America twice. One of the nice things seeing it live No Dick and Peggy talking all through the event. It's also fun to take your binnoclers just for the people watching. You never know whom you'll see. Another thing is you get to see everyone skate not just top 3 or 4.

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    Doggygirl-I can't wait to meet you St. Louis! I'm glad to hear that you are going. It should be a pretty awesome week!

That said, I've noticed a few random things between live skating and tv skating over the last couple of years. One was definitely the speed issue. I was AMAZED the first time I saw Michelle skate live because her speed was awesome live but doesn't always translate well on TV because she's so smooth and makes it look effortless. Jeff Buttle was another one I saw live and he drove me up the wall because he went so fast that I think all my CSOI pics are a big blur of him! He's got amazing speed live though. Second was that sometimes a skater that I don't really enjoy on TV, I enjoy more live. Plush was one of those who I don't particularly care for on TV but I really enjoyed seeing him live in COI a few years ago. He was wonderful. At the same time, sometimes skaters who are great on TV don't come across as well live (which describes my view every time I see Sasha who comes across better on TV than live IMO). Third, pairs skating, one of my FAVE disciplines, sometimes scares the crap out of me live because you don't know when something bad (like a fall) is coming and its a bit more startling in person because you can see how high up the girl is or how hard they fell on a throw or jump. The last thing I'll mention is that I enjoy ice dancing a HECK of a lot more live than I do on TV. I can barely sit still to watch it at home but during the week of Nats, I really enjoy those practices and that competition is usually one of the highlights for me. Weird, eh!?? Just a few thoughts and I am super excited for Nats this year.

And Toni, YOU'RE COMING. 'Nuff said.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Watching any skating event live beats watching the same on tv anyday. There is no comparison. I have attended many competitions and ice shows. It's also the atmosphere one breaths in. Being there in person to watch your favorite skater is just the most exciting experience.

As a former figure skater, I also enjoy being in the skating crowd and rubbing elbows with the skaters. It brings back such wonderful memories.

Thanks for the post and enjoy your first live figure skating competition experience!!!

Custom Title
    I went to 2001 Nationals in Boston. It was probably one of the best times in my life. It is so nice without the commentators. I was so nervous when Michelle sktede. Her SOTBS was exquisite. However the performance of the Night was Angela who gave the performance of her life to Sleeping Beauty. I was in tears for her. I don't think there was a dry eye in the arena.

Custom Title
    If speaking of current eliegible skaters... I saw Plushenko live in 2000 Finlandia Trophy and was totally amazed by the huge power and charisma he was oozing in his "Bolero" short programme. Until that time I was not interested in his skating, but changed the opinion in a couple of seconds, LOL.
    Last edited by Jaana; 07-02-2005 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by childfreegirl
    Live you get the whole atmosphere thing going and I agree with seeing the difference in speed. It's also great to see the skaters up close.
    While I love watching figure skating on TV, nothing beats seeing it live! We've been fortunate enough to attend 1998 US Nationals in Philly, the Saturday part of Skate America 2003 (Reading, PA), and most of Worlds 2003 in Washington, DC. I do like taping the events that we have been able to see live because I eventually want to hear the commentary and relive the performances. It was neat going to some of the practice sessions and meeting/talking to skaters while walking through the concourse. It's also cool to share your impressions & excitement with other fans who really appreciate the sport. You're with people who understand (& don't ridicule) your enthusiasm for it all.

I do agree that there are some skaters who definitely are more impressive live than on TV, whom I came to appreciate a lot more after seeing them live, whether it be in a competitive setting or show (COI/SOI).

Quote Originally Posted by Jhar55
    One of the nice things seeing it live No Dick and Peggy talking all through the event. .
    One of the things I'm looking forward to in particular!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast