Live v. Memorex | Golden Skate

Live v. Memorex

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
OK, here's another dead horse we can beat during the pre-season!!

Obviously watching an event live is very different than watching it on TV. While this enters into discussions on many different types of threads, I would be interested in everyone's thoughts in one place. I have yet to see a live competition - Nationals in STL will be my first and I can't wait!!

So...I'm intersted in any and all comments from you world travelers out there regarding the top skaters.

Thanks!!
DG

screech

Final Flight
The last competition I saw live was the 2005 Canadian Nationals. And I must say, it's true that things are different than on TV, especially in the mens event.

The main difference I saw was that live, it's unbelievable how little speed Emanuel carries across the ice. I mean, he gets to where he's going, but could definitely pack a lot more power. Whereas I found that live, Jeff appears to carry more speed than he seems to on TV. Both skaters are extremely beautiful to watch though.

It's also a bit easier to detect the 'seasoned' competitors - to see the little minor differences in skill and the skating basics when you're watching live. On TV they just seem to make it so that you can easily see the jumps and spins and stuff, but live, you tend to notice the little things more.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I've never seen a competition live either and Nats next year will be my first, but I've seen one COI and three SOIs and one club show (B'ham's a few years ago - PJZ :love: ) live. And there is a big difference. Live you get the whole atmosphere thing going and I agree with seeing the difference in speed. It's also great to see the skaters up close.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
screech said:
The main difference I saw was that live, it's unbelievable how little speed Emanuel carries across the ice. I mean, he gets to where he's going, but could definitely pack a lot more power. Whereas I found that live, Jeff appears to carry more speed than he seems to on TV. Both skaters are extremely beautiful to watch though.

Interesting!! I never would have guessed that Buttle carries more speed than e-man from TV. I like them both!

DG

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
as already said you notice more things... speed is completely different than it is on TV. I have become a fan of Orscher and Lucash because they look so much better live than they do on TV...

I enjoy the atmosphere as well... at home I'm either explaining what's going on to everyone in the room or I'm by myself... at the event though I can sit back and relax and let the energy of the crowd give me this sort of emotional high... it rocks :rock:

here's hoping I'll make it to STL!

nymkfan51

Medalist
Doggygirl ... great that you're going to Nationals!!! I have been to two now, and there's nothing like it! I am so amazed at the speed of some of the skaters ... like night and day to watching it on TV. Go to the practices if at all possible. I think I enjoy them as much, if not more, than the actual competition. Talk about speed ... WOW!!!!

I'll be in STL also ... should be very exciting!!!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Childfree and nymkfan, I'm sure we will be able to organize SOMETHING to get together while we are there. I cannot wait. I've been a casual FS fan since Peggy Flemming won the Olys. (LOL, whenever I claim to be a Dirty Old Lady, it's totally legit!) I pre-ordered the all event ticket, so I'm hoping to see as much action as possible including practices. After so many years, I want it ALL!!!! What a great year to have nationals so close to home. (I'm in the Chicago area)

DG

mememe

On the Ice
Having been to several Nationals, I agree you should go to practices as much as possible -- you get a good idea of how people are skating and get a chance to see who's skating well and what moves are causing people problems. Plus, it's just fun to watch practices! I'd also suggest you make sure to try to take in some of the junior and novice skating -- don't get so locked into watching practices that you miss the up-and-comers. It's such fun to see the youngsters skate, to decide who you think should have won and/or who will got on to bigger things, and pick the ones you like best and follow their careers. And if you see one of the ones who "makes it" later on, it makes following their careers even more fun, because you've been in on the "early years."

Most of all, just enjoy yourself. I have great memories of the nationals I attended.

Jhar55

Medalist
Been to Nationals once and I am going this year too. Been to Skate America twice. One of the nice things seeing it live No Dick and Peggy talking all through the event. It's also fun to take your binnoclers just for the people watching. You never know whom you'll see. Another thing is you get to see everyone skate not just top 3 or 4.

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Doggygirl-I can't wait to meet you St. Louis! I'm glad to hear that you are going. It should be a pretty awesome week! :rock:

That said, I've noticed a few random things between live skating and tv skating over the last couple of years. One was definitely the speed issue. I was AMAZED the first time I saw Michelle skate live because her speed was awesome live but doesn't always translate well on TV because she's so smooth and makes it look effortless. Jeff Buttle was another one I saw live and he drove me up the wall because he went so fast that I think all my CSOI pics are a big blur of him! He's got amazing speed live though. Second was that sometimes a skater that I don't really enjoy on TV, I enjoy more live. Plush was one of those who I don't particularly care for on TV but I really enjoyed seeing him live in COI a few years ago. He was wonderful. At the same time, sometimes skaters who are great on TV don't come across as well live (which describes my view every time I see Sasha who comes across better on TV than live IMO). Third, pairs skating, one of my FAVE disciplines, sometimes scares the crap out of me live because you don't know when something bad (like a fall) is coming and its a bit more startling in person because you can see how high up the girl is or how hard they fell on a throw or jump. The last thing I'll mention is that I enjoy ice dancing a HECK of a lot more live than I do on TV. I can barely sit still to watch it at home but during the week of Nats, I really enjoy those practices and that competition is usually one of the highlights for me. Weird, eh!?? Just a few thoughts and I am super excited for Nats this year. :agree:

And Toni, YOU'RE COMING. 'Nuff said. ;)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Watching any skating event live beats watching the same on tv anyday. There is no comparison. I have attended many competitions and ice shows. It's also the atmosphere one breaths in. Being there in person to watch your favorite skater is just the most exciting experience.

As a former figure skater, I also enjoy being in the skating crowd and rubbing elbows with the skaters. It brings back such wonderful memories.

Thanks for the post and enjoy your first live figure skating competition experience!!!

Eeyora

Final Flight
I went to 2001 Nationals in Boston. It was probably one of the best times in my life. It is so nice without the commentators. I was so nervous when Michelle sktede. Her SOTBS was exquisite. However the performance of the Night was Angela who gave the performance of her life to Sleeping Beauty. I was in tears for her. I don't think there was a dry eye in the arena.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If speaking of current eliegible skaters... I saw Plushenko live in 2000 Finlandia Trophy and was totally amazed by the huge power and charisma he was oozing in his "Bolero" short programme. Until that time I was not interested in his skating, but changed the opinion in a couple of seconds, LOL.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
childfreegirl said:
Live you get the whole atmosphere thing going and I agree with seeing the difference in speed. It's also great to see the skaters up close.

While I love watching figure skating on TV, nothing beats seeing it live! We've been fortunate enough to attend 1998 US Nationals in Philly, the Saturday part of Skate America 2003 (Reading, PA), and most of Worlds 2003 in Washington, DC. I do like taping the events that we have been able to see live because I eventually want to hear the commentary and relive the performances. It was neat going to some of the practice sessions and meeting/talking to skaters while walking through the concourse. It's also cool to share your impressions & excitement with other fans who really appreciate the sport. You're with people who understand (& don't ridicule) your enthusiasm for it all.

I do agree that there are some skaters who definitely are more impressive live than on TV, whom I came to appreciate a lot more after seeing them live, whether it be in a competitive setting or show (COI/SOI). :clap:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Jhar55 said:
One of the nice things seeing it live No Dick and Peggy talking all through the event. .

One of the things I'm looking forward to in particular! :biggrin:

mpal2

Final Flight
ITA that Michelle is faster than she appears on tv while Sasha comes out better on tv. Other skaters that were more fun live are Todd Eldredge and Chenjiang Li. I really enjoyed seeing Li at 2003 Worlds. His exhibition was a lot more open and fun than his competition skating.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
KwanFan1212 said:
That said, I've noticed a few random things between live skating and tv skating over the last couple of years. One was definitely the speed issue. I was AMAZED the first time I saw Michelle skate live because her speed was awesome live but doesn't always translate well on TV because she's so smooth and makes it look effortless. Jeff Buttle was another one I saw live and he drove me up the wall because he went so fast that I think all my CSOI pics are a big blur of him! He's got amazing speed live though. Second was that sometimes a skater that I don't really enjoy on TV, I enjoy more live. Plush was one of those who I don't particularly care for on TV but I really enjoyed seeing him live in COI a few years ago. He was wonderful. At the same time, sometimes skaters who are great on TV don't come across as well live (which describes my view every time I see Sasha who comes across better on TV than live IMO). Third, pairs skating, one of my FAVE disciplines, sometimes scares the crap out of me live because you don't know when something bad (like a fall) is coming and its a bit more startling in person because you can see how high up the girl is or how hard they fell on a throw or jump. The last thing I'll mention is that I enjoy ice dancing a HECK of a lot more live than I do on TV. I can barely sit still to watch it at home but during the week of Nats, I really enjoy those practices and that competition is usually one of the highlights for me. Weird, eh!?? Just a few thoughts and I am super excited for Nats this year. :agree:

And Toni, YOU'RE COMING. 'Nuff said. ;)

well I just earned 40 bucks this week and I'll probably earn 50 more next week... after that I don't know lol so just keep praying I get $$

and I dunno about Michelle's speed... but as you know I wasn't really paying attention to her :laugh: I think she skates faster in practices... that's just how I saw it...

*is going to run and hide from Hez now...*

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:
Childfree and nymkfan, I'm sure we will be able to organize SOMETHING to get together while we are there. I cannot wait. I pre-ordered the all event ticket, so I'm hoping to see as much action as possible including practices. After so many years, I want it ALL!!!!
DG

Me too! We'll meet up, don't worry. We'll talk when it gets closer. Only six more months to go!

DoggyGirl - You will have a wonderful figure skating experience. Be prepared to see skaters much smaller than on the TV screen. Listen to the noise of the blade and those who do not make the noise. No closeups, but if a skater executes an elements right in front of your view, you will clearly see whether or not the skater made some errors. Speed is deceiving on TV. The camera following the skater is not in your view (which makes for a speedier view). The judges will also be on view and you should try to see what they see.

If your love for skating goes beyond Michelle, Sasha, Johnny and Michael, check out the novice and junior events and pick out your future Olys winner in 2010. Checkout practice sessions. See so many boys do quads but never attempt them in competition; so many do 3As but miss them in competition. Personally, I don't get off on practice sessions.

Think about sneaking in your own food. The food is just plain Arena food and over priced. A beer in the bar can be fun during intermission.

The whole Nats is a blast. You'll see many skating stars from the past roaming around the arena. Most are quite friendly and will give you a smile if not an autograph.

If you make a habit of going to the Nats, you will find that friends you make at this one will be there for the next. Nice!

Joe

waxel

Final Flight
I will reiterate the points made by several posters- seeing the true speed of the skaters is completely easier to gauge and more impressive live than on TV. And yes the feel and excitement of the crowd can be magical. Plus, you are (usually) surrounded by knowledgeable skate fans so conversation, quips, comments and questions ("was that a triple or double?") fly freely. And I too would urge all to check out the Novice and Jr. competitions.

But the best things about being at Nats is YOU GET TO SEE ALL THE SKATERS... not just the marquee names that the networks chose to televise.

I'll be in St. Louis too!