Thread: What "Warhorse" for your favorite skaters???

Hybrid View

average opinionated skate fan

What "Warhorse" for your favorite skaters???

I got to thinking about the impending Olympic season and all the choices that will soon be revealed about who is doing what program. We've often times discussed "Warhorses"....those classical pieces that we can all hum in our sleep.

Here's a summer discussion quesion....What "Warhorse" classical piece of music would you choose for your favorite skater? For me, there are a couple...I'd love to see Michelle skate to Claire de Lune. It would be interesting to see if she could "fill up" all the empty spaces withing this impressionistic tone poem.

Another skater I'd love to see in moldy musical selections would be a guy, maybe johnny or jeff buttle, skate to Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun. I've seen several ladies do this, however can't recall any guys perfoming this one.

Oh, and just to keep it interesting, why not include skaters from the past? Toller skated to an operetic aria, anyone want to strap Janet Lynn with Tosca?

Now for you. I'm looking forward to hearing some of this answers...
    to quote Mike Myer's Linda Eastman character on SNL....
    "Warhorses; not War, not Horses....Discuss!"
    Last edited by sk8m8; 07-02-2005 at 12:20 AM.

Custom Title
    I always wanted

Michelle to skate to "Nessun Dorma:" from Turnadot or Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini.

Clair De Lune would also suit Angela

Sasha- Tchaikovsky's Piano Concert #1

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyora
    I always wanted

Sasha- Tchaikovsky's Piano Concert #1
    I totally agree with this one! And would also love to see Johnny Weir to use that music.

Custom Title
    Would love to see Sasha skate to Masquerade Waltz. And I can only dream of how beautiful a program Johnny could skate to Massenet's Meditation de Thais.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=Eeyora]I always wanted

Michelle to skate to ... Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini.

...[QUOTE]

Who wrote "Rhapsody on a theme"? Someone told me that it was Rachmaninoff -- and there are rumors from a reliable source that Michelle is skating to something by Rachmaninoff this year.

Fur Elise...a SP for Michelle.

Faun was skated to by Ilia Klimkin and it was nothing short of magnificent.

All the tunes noted are definitely warhorses, and poor Sasha can not get away from Tschaikowsky for her LP. they are definitely pieces to show off the technique and they suit Sasha.

I was wondering why no one ever tried Chopin? Several of his pieces were orchestrated for Fokine's ballet 'Les Sylphides'. I think they would be a challenge but they would have to be cut for skating. It would take a very special skater to do these Chopin pieces, imo.

Joe

Go NJ Devils
    Joshua Bell and the Academy of St. Martin's in the Fields recorded a violin and orchestra transcription of Chopin's Nocturne in C-sharp Minor on their "Romance of the Violin" album. It's a little over 4 minutes long, and when I hear it, I see Sasha Cohen skating to it.

If anyone is going to use "Meditation," I hope they can get the rights to the transacription Yo Yo Ma and Kathryn Stott used for their "Paris: La Belle Epoque" album. It would need some cuts at 5'48", but it is gorgeously played at a pace that could be expressed by a skater with deep edges and the patience to time elements to the music. And the real ending to the music is played meltingly.
    Last edited by hockeyfan228; 07-02-2005 at 12:54 PM.

Custom Title

I was wondering why no one ever tried Chopin?
    Fumie won world bronze in 03 skating to Chopin's second PC for her sp. Ruh has done an amazing job in skating to Chopin's PC #1 as an exhibition program. Lucindah is not a great jumper, but the best spinner ever. I believe COP experts may agree her Chopin PC #1 if scored under COP is probably worth a world medal. AP won a jr world gold with a Chopin etude as sp. Kristi skated to fantasia impromptu as an exhibition program, and lovely Sarah Hughes skated to fantasia impromptu in her 1999 sp. I guess all of the above are more feminine music choices as mentioned by Mathman. I imagine many male skaters have tried Chopin's military polonaise, and that will be classified by Mathman as the masculine music
    It would take a very special skater to do these Chopin pieces, imo.
    True. Unlike choosing oh yawn Tchaikovsky. Since Tchaikovsky had a gift of melody second only to Mozart, his music is easily accessible to the mass / general public, so skaters who are not motivated to push the artistic envelop of music interpretation will probably choose Tchaikovsky year after year. Skating to Chopin OTOH probably requires a skater to do some soul searching and homework.
    Last edited by gezando; 07-23-2005 at 02:30 PM.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by gezando
    Skating to Chopin OTOH probably requires a skater to do some soul searching and homework.
    Skating to Chopin takes a good music editor.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Faun was skated to by Ilia Klimkin and it was nothing short of magnificent.

All the tunes noted are definitely warhorses, and poor Sasha can not get away from Tschaikowsky for her LP. they are definitely pieces to show off the technique and they suit Sasha.

I was wondering why no one ever tried Chopin? Several of his pieces were orchestrated for Fokine's ballet 'Les Sylphides'. I think they would be a challenge but they would have to be cut for skating. It would take a very special skater to do these Chopin pieces, imo.

Joe
    I have not seen anyone skate to the ones you mentioned, and you are right that we don't see a lot of skaters skating to Chopin. I absolutely love Chopin and would like to see more skaters use his music.

Meno & Sand skated an SP to Chopin (Fantasie Impromptu), and Miki Ando skated an SP to Chopin (last piece in the Pianist- I am forgetting the title) couple years ago. Usova-Zhulin skated the middle part of their 'Mars' FD using Chopin music, and G&G skated a part of their 88 LP to Chopin. Kristi's pro skate to fantasie Impromptu is one of my favorites.

I love Nocturne in C minor and I always thought it would be a good SP music for someone like Michelle.

Vash

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    I love the music from Carmen, but if I see one more skater choose it for a program, I'm going to scream.

Custom Title
    [QUOTE=attyfan][

Who wrote "Rhapsody on a theme"? Someone told me that it was Rachmaninoff -- and there are rumors from a reliable source that Michelle is skating to something by Rachmaninoff this year.
    Yes it was Rachmaninoff

If Tarasova did the choreography I can believe MK could very well be skating to Rachmaninoff. Have we ascertained that TT has done the choreo for MK?
    Am I mistaken or didn't MK do a Rach by Lori?

Joe

Lovin' the Kween ... Now and Forever
    Yes Joe, MK skated to Rach 3 in the '98 season for her SP. She used the same program again for the '02 Olympic season.
    My guess is the Rach this year will be something from piano concerto #2 ... with perhaps a little of the Paganini Rhapsody mixed in with it.
    Okay ... so maybe that's what I'm "hoping" for!