Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What "Warhorse" for your favorite skaters???

Rinkside
    I would like to see Sasha skating on "Tosca": Altough this opera has been used many times recently, no one skated to the aria "Vissi dArte": As this piece is very lyrical I think it could be very good as a slow part in Sasha`s program! I would love to see her on this music!

As long as a skater does not interpret the character in an opera or ballet, I have no objection to seeing a skater use an aria or other music from a story theatrical piece.

I prefer the skater to show great flow on the ice together with great musical rythym and timing. The tricks, too, should fit nicely into the choreography without disturbing this flow and timing.

Skaters, imo, are not trained for theatrics and much too young to show any depth of feeling for a story line. Tosca, the opera, is a good example of a heavy melodrama and to mimic the story line in four minutes is just plain ludicrous in my opinion.

Vise d'Arte as an exhibition piece would be very nice for Sasha if she leaves out the 'acting' bit and just skates lyrically to the music. JMO.

Joe

average opinionated skate fan
    Here's another chestnut. I'd love to see Sasha skate to "The Girl With The Flaxen Hair" which is a short tone poem by Debussy. I've also mentioned Claire de Lune before, too for Michelle or someone who skates in her style. I found a great harp version that I believe would be a lovely exhibition piece.

Also with CdL I've never seen a guy skate to it. Could it be made "masculine" enough to skate to? I guess that sexist to think that music can only be used for one gender. That would be another good thread, or addition to this one.
    "What skater could use music typically used for another gender...for example, though I've seen a couple of guys do pieces from Swan Lake, I've never seen any guy do 'Song of the Black Swan", which is terrific music, even if it is another war horse. Thoughts?

That's a great topic, Skatemate. I would start the new thread, only I am having a hard time chosing music that I would classify as "masculine" or "feminine."

Unchained Melody (Johnnie Weir) is huntingly beautiful and, to me, has both emotional depth and aesthetic delicacy (like women, LOL). But it is sung by a man who is in prison, worrying that his girl friend has ditched him while he was in the slammer.

I'd love to see Michelle skating to thrilling "masculine" marshall music like Ode to Joy from Beethoven's Ninth. (But leave the William Tell Overature to Michael Weiss, LOL.)

I can't see two men, or even a man and a woman, skating a duet to "The letter duet" (Sull'aria) from the Marriage of Figaro. Whereas, I could die happy right there in front of the TV if Kristi and Michelle would do it.

Berezhnaya and Sikharudlidze managed the epherimal "Mediatation" without compromising Anton's manliness. (Our heroine, Thais, is meditating about whether to become a nun or a prostitute.) But then again, in order to do it they had to beef up the music by shoehorning in some louder instrumentation over the solo violin.

Cool topic. I hope someone responds who knows more about music than I do.

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 07-22-2005 at 03:47 PM.

Matt Savoie~Soul Skater CzarinaAnya's Avatar
    I don't consider this song a warhorse, but I can can hum it in my sleep, lol.

I would love to see Sasha skate to the "Flower Duet". I LOVE this piece!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bdreampixie

I'd also love to see Kwan do Meditation. Jeffrey Buttle do Peter and the Wolf by Prokofiev.
    I can't imagine Kwan doing Meditation. The only person that might be able to handle it after B/S is Weir IMO.

Custom Title

I was wondering why no one ever tried Chopin?
    Fumie won world bronze in 03 skating to Chopin's second PC for her sp. Ruh has done an amazing job in skating to Chopin's PC #1 as an exhibition program. Lucindah is not a great jumper, but the best spinner ever. I believe COP experts may agree her Chopin PC #1 if scored under COP is probably worth a world medal. AP won a jr world gold with a Chopin etude as sp. Kristi skated to fantasia impromptu as an exhibition program, and lovely Sarah Hughes skated to fantasia impromptu in her 1999 sp. I guess all of the above are more feminine music choices as mentioned by Mathman. I imagine many male skaters have tried Chopin's military polonaise, and that will be classified by Mathman as the masculine music
    It would take a very special skater to do these Chopin pieces, imo.
    True. Unlike choosing oh yawn Tchaikovsky. Since Tchaikovsky had a gift of melody second only to Mozart, his music is easily accessible to the mass / general public, so skaters who are not motivated to push the artistic envelop of music interpretation will probably choose Tchaikovsky year after year. Skating to Chopin OTOH probably requires a skater to do some soul searching and homework.
    Last edited by gezando; 07-23-2005 at 02:30 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CzarinaAnya

I would love to see Sasha skate to the "Flower Duet". I LOVE this piece!
    Interesting the flower duet is one of the most overused piece of music among the car dealership commercials.
    Last edited by gezando; 07-23-2005 at 11:14 AM.

Go NJ Devils
    Quote Originally Posted by gezando
    Skating to Chopin OTOH probably requires a skater to do some soul searching and homework.
    Skating to Chopin takes a good music editor.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by Eeyora
    I also would like to see Michelle akste to Samson and Delilah
    Actually, Frank and Lori suggested Samson et Dalilah to her in 1996, but she didn't like it...she preferred Salome that year!

I want someone...anyone...to skate to Gliere's Harp Concerto. I think Lucinda Ruh did a good job with it, but I'd like to see it again!

Quote Originally Posted by gezando
    Interesting the flower duet is one of the most overused piece of music among the car dealership commercials.
    LOL! It's not the songs fault! It's still beautiful.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    Faun was skated to by Ilia Klimkin and it was nothing short of magnificent.

All the tunes noted are definitely warhorses, and poor Sasha can not get away from Tschaikowsky for her LP. they are definitely pieces to show off the technique and they suit Sasha.

I was wondering why no one ever tried Chopin? Several of his pieces were orchestrated for Fokine's ballet 'Les Sylphides'. I think they would be a challenge but they would have to be cut for skating. It would take a very special skater to do these Chopin pieces, imo.

Joe
    I have not seen anyone skate to the ones you mentioned, and you are right that we don't see a lot of skaters skating to Chopin. I absolutely love Chopin and would like to see more skaters use his music.

Meno & Sand skated an SP to Chopin (Fantasie Impromptu), and Miki Ando skated an SP to Chopin (last piece in the Pianist- I am forgetting the title) couple years ago. Usova-Zhulin skated the middle part of their 'Mars' FD using Chopin music, and G&G skated a part of their 88 LP to Chopin. Kristi's pro skate to fantasie Impromptu is one of my favorites.

I love Nocturne in C minor and I always thought it would be a good SP music for someone like Michelle.

Vash

I love the music from Carmen, but if I see one more skater choose it for a program, I'm going to scream.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3