Thread: Yagudin's Interest in Flying Lessons

Hybrid View

On the Ice

Yagudin's Interest in Flying Lessons

A link to a new article by Kathleen Bangs:

http://www.airportjournals.com/Displ...?varID=0507018

Custom Title
    Just another thing for me to worry about.

On the Ice
    thanks for the link ,Skatehappy.Great article and nice photos Kathleen

Custom Title
    Great article! Thanks for the link, Skatehappy, and thanks to Kathleen for writing it. The pictures are super.

I guess flying through the air over the ice in a silk cloth wasn't enough for Alexei, now if he takes flying lessons he's really going to have his head in the clouds.

On the Ice
    My dad was an Air Force pilot, killed in action in a Skymaster Cessna. Twenty years experience. So, I can safely say that I could cheerfully vomit just thinking about Yagudin piloting any single engine aircraft. Even with a parachute. Scratch that, especially with a parachute, since it provides such a feeling of false security. Couldn’t he just stay on the ground and play with matches? Run amok through the house with sharp pair of scissors? Have a staring contest with the sun? Dry his hair in the microwave? Poke a bear with a pointy stick? Chew on tin foil and rub his head with a cheesegrater?
    Did it just HAVE to be a single engine aircraft?

Tripping on the Podium
    I'm really sorry to hear about your dad icenine. :(

But for me, personally, life is too short. I would rather die being adventurous and doing what I love, than to be safe on the ground hiding under the bed in fear that "something" will happen to me "sometime".

The feeling of flying has got to be one of the most incredible amazing experiences, and I say he should go for it , do what his heart desires!

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icenine
    Couldn’t he just stay on the ground and play with matches? Run amok through the house with sharp pair of scissors? Have a staring contest with the sun? Dry his hair in the microwave? Poke a bear with a pointy stick? Chew on tin foil and rub his head with a cheesegrater?
    Did it just HAVE to be a single engine aircraft?
    Icenine, thanks for the laugh. I could imagine Alexei doing this things, especially the cheesegrater on the head or staring at the sun.

You have a wonderful sense of humor, thanks for sharing it with us.

Dee

On the Ice
    Thanks, Grgranny... you’re a sweetie.
    Kathleen, I’m sure you know your Dad would be very proud of you. I’ve enjoyed your many articles and photography, and am thoroughly impressed by the intrepid reporter that you are. Thanks for the additional info on the plane. Good to know it is state of the art, and not constructed from balsa wood and duct tape.
    I know Alexei is whip-smart, and I truly have no apprehensions about his abilities or judgement. Please understand, my meltdown was coming from a week that was rich in drama and poor in sleep. I had no business posting under those circumstances.
    In skating related matters, of course, I reserve the right at all times to be completely unreasonable.