Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: twirling actualy

Were you a "righty" or a "lefty?"
    I was a righty and with body turning counter clock wise.

I wanted to twirl for my city band but the band director didn't think I was good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dlkksk8fan
    I wanted to twirl for my city band but the band director didn't think I was good enough.
    Obviously, a band director with very poor taste.

DG

Custom Title

Hi DG!

I think Valerie Parisi was a biggie when I was a kid. Honestly, I was such a nervous competitor I had trouble remembering my own name at the time let alone anyone else's, but there was a Sharrie-something, too. And of course, there were the ubiquitous Zarbock's.

My mother, bless her, was a fan of baton twirling until the day she died, but once I lost interest, she kind of let it go by the wayside. I still remember those l-o-n-g car trips we used to take on account of her coaching a drum & twirling corps or two and I certainly remember the year we won the state championship; everyone jumped into the fountain in their "Do Not Wash-Dry Clean Only!" uniforms. It was great.

I was an NBTA-er. Oh wow, was this a long time ago, but now you've made me fetch my baton from the closet and I'm going to drag it to the rink today. Again. Momentary funny story: Our Skating Director was twirling something a couple summers ago, something like a flagpole, and so of course I had to show her I could do that, too. One piece of conversation led to another and she mentioned that she was a baton twirler for her high school and I told her that my mother did that, too and named the high school (Bloom). My skating director's mouth fell open and she said, "THAT was your mother? Oh man, she was HOT!" It was then I was reminded that it truly is a small world.

So okay, now I am thinking John Philip Sousa and some marching music for some kind of weird artistic program. Hmm......wonder how hard it'd be to do a 1 and a half turn and catch it behind my back on skates. Guess we'll find out.......if there's nobody else on the rink.

That's a funny story - it really is a small world!!! I can tell you are a brave person for even THINKING of turning on a John Phillip Sousa march!!! I think I would toss my cookies for sure.

I want to hear details about how the 1.5 goes on ice. Better yet, how about some pictures or some video?? Let me know how it goes!!

DG

Custom Title
    I think I'm going to have to work on that 1 1/2 a little bit more before I vidcam it, unless you want to see "American's Funniest Home Videos" fodder. But the kids last night were fascinated by the whole thing and nobody minded that I'd dragged what amounts to a "prop" onto the ice.

Now I've got my friend, Bob, thinking of putting snow studs on his unicycle and working that into some kind of performance. But that's a whole 'nother story.

Quote Originally Posted by megsk8z
    I think I'm going to have to work on that 1 1/2 a little bit more before I vidcam it, unless you want to see "American's Funniest Home Videos" fodder. But the kids last night were fascinated by the whole thing and nobody minded that I'd dragged what amounts to a "prop" onto the ice.

Now I've got my friend, Bob, thinking of putting snow studs on his unicycle and working that into some kind of performance. But that's a whole 'nother story.
    You all are going to have quite a "show" lined up before this is over!! Keep me posted on your Batons On Ice routine!

DG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2