Michelle Kwan's attitude about other skaters | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle Kwan's attitude about other skaters

J

Jimmy Hoffa 2

Re: Instant Karma

Do Buddhists celebrate Christmas? I know Kwan does.

F

FetalAttraction

Aah, let me put on my sociology professor hat that I got from mail order.

Just as the western world has taken the eastern (mainly Buddhist/Hindu/Indian/Chinese) concept of Karma and transmuted it to better fit western society, the Christian concept of Christmas has been co-opted by the secular and non-Christian world at large. Christmas, or Winter Solstice was non-Christian to begin with, now Christmas is no longer Christian. In two places I'm familiar with, Hong Kong and Japan, Christmas is a time for gathering the immediate family to celebrate, looking at green/red/gold decorations, and pining for Santa's bag. In England, where the majority of the population refrains from church, a survey of the children found that most associate Christmas with Santa rather than Jesus.

So, celebrating Christmas no more denotes Christianity than believing in Karma denotes Buddhism.

A

Ajax32

MK

Well, I don't know about karma or anything, but I just wanted to say that even though I'm not a huge fan of MK (I like her, just am not that crazy about ladies skating in general) I think her autobiography would be most interesting to read. (Talking of skater autobiographies, can anyone recommend any good ones?)
About the karma thing... Maybe she didn't mean what she said literally. Imagine that you are MK for a second in the 98 Olys. You have just finished your skate and Tara Lipinski is about to go on the ice. Deep down, wouldn't you want her to fall? I know I would. But at the same time, it would make me feel very bad to think that. So maybe she just wants to avoid that bad feeling and that's what she meant by karma.

P

Ptichka

Re: Karma

GBM, I don't think people from the old USSR have a monopoly on superstitions. Many people, no matter how religious they are, are superstitious deep down. In fact, many religious dogmas are easier to process from a superstitious position.

Judaism is probably the most "abstract" of the Western religions. Yet even Judaism has much that is based on superstition: take for example the tradition of putting a mezuzah on the door. It is a religious tradition, since the mezuzah contains a quote from the Torah, yet I think many people who put it on their doors do it for superstitious reasons, that is to keep their homes safe from whatever evil. And, in case you are wondering, I do have mezuzahs on the doors of my home, and I honestly could not tell you if I do it for "religious" or "superstitious" reasons.

R

rgirl181

Re: What Skaters Say and What They Mean

Ajax,
Exellent point! I'm not saying that Michelle wasn't sincere about the "karma" remark, but I don't think any of us can assume she meant karma in terms of its definition according to the Buddhist religion and not in the vernacular sense of "bad vibes." Besides, I've also heard Michelle say that she doesn't watch other skaters on the monitors or from the sidelines because she doesn't want to be tempted to think "Fall! Fall!" She laughed as she said it, and it struck me as if she was acknowledging, "Hey, I'm human! These things cross my mind! I can't help it!" It's just my opinion of course, but if she does feel that way, I find it endearing. But that's just me. Some people like their idols on a superhuman pedestal and that's fine. Whatever makes them happy. I would just ask those who do to respect the feelings of those of us who enjoy being fans of people who embrace their human foibles. Besides, what is a negative characteristic to one person is positive to another.

One last thing: Red Dog, I didn't see even the tiniest problem with your correction of the spelling of Buddhism. In fact, had I misspelled it, I would have appreciated your correction. If someone had spelled Catholic as "Cathalic," I'm sure someone would have corrected it once it was clear it was not a typo. I thought it was clear that your intentions were positive and not meant to embarrass anyone--and I don't think the person who misspelled Buddhism, Sk8m8, took it that way, though I can't speak for him.

Sk8m8, Fetal, and Red Dog: I thought you expressed your opinions on the questions that were asked by GBM very respectfully.
Rgirl

R

RED DOG45

I was just trying to be helpful by pointing out the correct spelling of Buddhism...if I offended anyone I'm sorry. I didn't mean to intentionally put down anyone. Just clearing that up...

I understand about typos and I make (and see) them all the time. There is nothing wrong with that.

G

Grgranny

Rgirl, kin yu bleev it wuz me?

R

rgirl181

:rollin: My mistake, Granny! And my apologies to Sk8m8 for thinking it was him;) Anyway, I'm pretty sure that you, of all people, would be appreciative of being given the correct spelling:D

Gladd thet wuz kleered upp!
Rgirl

G

Grgranny

Actually GBM started it. Instead of looking it up, I copied what she wrote since I know she's a smarty.
:rollin:

J

Joesitz

Granny - There is never a problem with spelling because it is me. A terreible speller from day one, but I do well in Spanish (more phonetic).

Joe

S

SteveKmetko374

I don't know if Kwan is a buddist but she seems like an old soul. I think her maturity comes from her parents, who seem to have passed on a sensitivity to her. When she finished second in the Olympics in 1998 her father asked her "what have you learned from this" and he is always challenging her with thoughtful questions. I think her parents did a wonderful job. She stateed after the 2001 Worlds that she did not watch Irina skate - Michelle had already skated a wonderful performance and then it was Irina's turn. She didn't want to watch Irina skate because the thought she would be thinking "fall, fall" so she removed herself from a negative situation, even though the situation would have taken place entirely within her, she did not want this negativity inside her.

L

Linny

Feeling bad

There's really no way to get into Michelle's mind and know what she meant by the "karma" comment...

For those of you who are involved in competitive circumstances (be they sports or job assignments or vying for a mate or whatever): do you not wish bad luck on your competitor because you worry about receiving retribution in the future? In this life or the next?

Or is it possible that there are some altruistic people out there who simply do not wish bad luck on ANYone?

Linny

L

LADSKATER

Re: Michelle Kwan's attitude about other skaters

Many figure skaters are superstitious and carry "good luck" charms with them to their competitions. Perhaps, Miss Kwan's necklace is her good luck charm.

Ladskater

J

Joesitz

Steve - Michelle is La Kwan and that's what it's all about. Anyone can read into it but it still comes out La Kwan.

(Deleted because I overpartied last night.):x

Joe