Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Katherine Healy

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I saw her skate a couple of times. She definitely is more of a ballet dancer than a skater although she did manage to marry both worlds together. Ballet training does help a skater develop better flexibility and poise. Katherine Healy probably has the best poise of all the female skaters today.

All of the ladies today could learn from Katherine's example of combining ballet with skating.
    Last edited by Ladskater; 07-09-2005 at 02:27 AM.

On my best behavior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater
    All of the ladies today could learn from Katherine's example of combining ballet with skating.
    What's weird is that there are certainly plenty of ladies who are well-trained in ballet. Jenny Kirk, for example, was quite a serious ballet student and used to dance in Boston Ballet's Nutcracker every winter.

I think what we see in Healy is as much the influence of John Curry as it is the influence of ballet - all of the members of his troupe had a similar skating style as Healy, even those who did not have a deep background in ballet. He was very demanding of his skaters, and had a series of exercises that he required them to do that developed and required bi-directional ability and the most rigorous edging technique. You can see a number of these exercises in his choreography. For example, in the Papillon video, you can see Healy doing a series of Mazurkas that alternate directions - that was one of his most basic exercises.

Custom Title
    what's a mazurka?

On my best behavior
    Quote Originally Posted by emma
    what's a mazurka?
    It's a half jump:

http://www.skatejournal.com/jumpposition.html#mazurka

Here's a picture of Tenley Albright doing a mazurka as it's supposed to be done (with a full scissor):

http://www.newfund.org/files/hallFame1998.htm

I'm now reaching into the very dark and dusty recesses of my mind, but after reviewing the Papillon video again, I think what she's doing would actually be called collection steps, which are like mazurkas except you don't scissor your feet. (It's been years since I've done any of those moves, so my memory may be faulty on this topic.)

Custom Title
    Thanks BittyBug!

Custom Title
    I'm so glad you all found my clips of Katherine Healy. She really is a remarkeable woman .Hopefully there'll be a few more coming soon so stay posted for those. Does anyone know if any of the ITNY performances were ever broadcast?

Rinkside

Katherine Healy

I'm not a skater, just a fan who remembers Katherine Healy for the elegance and individuality of her skating and dancing. Every movement flowed into the next, every transition was not just perfect, but exquisite. With regard to ballet, I've never seen Juliet done as well as she danced the role, and I think she was actually fifteen or sixteen, the proper age for Juliet, at the time. She's amazing!

Hi, Argiri, welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting!

Mathamn

Quote Originally Posted by Argiri
    I'm not a skater, just a fan who remembers Katherine Healy for the elegance and individuality of her skating and dancing. Every movement flowed into the next, every transition was not just perfect, but exquisite. With regard to ballet, I've never seen Juliet done as well as she danced the role, and I think she was actually fifteen or sixteen, the proper age for Juliet, at the time. She's amazing!
    That's what dancing is all about - flowing over the floor regardless of the difficult steps. If you like the tricks, that's fine but good dancers don't sell them. Few figure skaters flow over the ice, imo.

Healy still skates with Ice Threatre of New York and while the tech has gotten a bit lower, the flow is still magnificent.

Joe

SkateFan4Life
    Katherine Healy was and still is one of the most artistic skaters to ever lace up skates. Her line, extension, carriage, and moves in the field are absolutely stunning. Effortless, graceful, beautiful.

Unfortunately, Katerine's jumps were never in the same class as her spins, spirals, and footwork, so she was never a serious contender to advance far up the competitive system.

That being said, Healy was absolutely gorgeous to watch.

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    That being said, Healy was absolutely gorgeous to watch.
    I would only modify that to say that she IS gorgeous to watch... And I really think she will remain so for many years to come.....

Thank goodness for on-line videos. (at least for me!)

Just my 2 cents.

DG

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3