The Japanese Ladies | Golden Skate

The Japanese Ladies

Has anyone gotten some news of the senior Japanese Ladies?

What are they doing and are they real contenders for the Olys?

Shizuka Arakawa
Yoshie Onda
Miki Anda
Fumie Suguri
Yukina Ota

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
IIRC, they only get 2 ladies spots for Oly's, right? If so, team selection alone is going to be quite an event all by itself. I hope the real Shiz is back next season! I love Fumie, and am also interested in seeing what improvements Miki makes this summer with Carol Heiss Jenkins. Onda and Ota have never really done it for me, but maybe I've just not gotten watch them at their best.

DG

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Doggygirl said:
IIRC, they only get 2 ladies spots for Oly's, right? If so, team selection alone is going to be quite an event all by itself. I hope the real Shiz is back next season! I love Fumie, and am also interested in seeing what improvements Miki makes this summer with Carol Heiss Jenkins. Onda and Ota have never really done it for me, but maybe I've just not gotten watch them at their best. DG

Japan had three ladies among top ten in Worlds 2005, and the best placements were 5th and 6th. I would expect Japan to send 3 skaters to the Olympics, or have I gotten it wrong?

I sure hope Arakawa (and o course other Japanese ladies too) to be in top condition at the Olympics!

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Japan has 3 Olympic ladies' berths due to Suguri's 5th and Ando's 6th at 2005 Worlds.

Here are the current Sr. Grand Prix assignments for the Japanese ladies:
Fumie Suguri - Skate Canada, NHK/Japan
Miki Ando - Russia, Japan
Shizuka Arakawa - China, France
Yoshie Onda - Skate America
Yukari Nakano - Skate Canada
Yukina Ota - Japan (still recovering from injury)
Mao Asada - China, France (too young for the 2006 Olympics)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Whew!!

I'm very glad to hear I was wrong and Japan has 3 spots. They have so many talented Ladies. Can't wait to see how they all do once the season kicks off.

DG

waxel

Final Flight
Please... not Onda. I've never enjoyed her skating. It would seem COP will be her undoing so I don't see that she has any realistic shot at making the team.

Would love to see Shiz back in fine form and for Fumie to fulfill her potential. Although I have never been a rabid fan, she (Fumie) seems like a gracious young woman and it would be nice to see her dedication and hard work finally pay off.

JunJohn21

Rinkside
I saw a video of Japan's Dreams On Ice. Shizuka now does a biellman in her combination spin along with the I-spin. Miki does that spin that Jeffrey Buttle does in his combination spin where he does a camel then tucks his leg in and drops down to a sit position. Miki is also doing the I-spin again. Fumie did a back shoot the duck and looks great. Yukari Nakano has really improved, but she still has a leg wrap. Yoshie, I really didn't see anything new. Carolina Kostner was in the show as well. She did a broken leg sit spin, Y-Spiral, and a Vinson spiral.

mzheng

Record Breaker
kappa_1 said:
What's a Vinson spiral?

The spiral MK did in her FOG. Skater lift her leg sideway, kind like a veriation of her 2nd spiral position after the COE one.

Now we finally see so many young lady spend time work on different moves aside from Jumps. Under the old system, they would most likely concentrate on jumps.

Last edited by a moderator:

R.D.

Record Breaker
are they real contenders for the Olys?

I really think they are. I see them as the "dark horses" this time around. If anyone is going to pull off an upset, I think it will be one of these three ladies. JMO.

antmanb

Record Breaker
mzheng said:
The spiral MK did in her FOG. Skater lift her leg sideway, kind like a veriation of her 2nd spiral position after the COE one.

Sorry i'm being slow today but can't for the life of me work out which of her programs is FOG? Help!

Ant

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
antmanb said:
Sorry i'm being slow today but can't for the life of me work out which of her programs is FOG? Help!

Ant

I think it could be "Fields of Gold", prepared for Olympic season 2001-2002?

Last edited:

antmanb

Record Breaker
Jaana said:
I think it could be "Fields of Gold", prepared for Olympic season 2001-2002?

Thanks :agree: - i was only thinking of SPs or LPs not exhibitions...hence coming up short!!! :biggrin:

Ant