Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Liberty summer competition, July 13-16, Aston, PA

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    An eye-catching debute for Rachel Flatt! Can you tell us something more about her, Sylvia? Is this a new one to watch?
    I missed seeing Rachael Flatt's Senior SP, but she very skated consistently in her Junior events, qualifying for both the SP and FS Finals and placing 3rd in each. As the 2005 Novice champ, she would have been given one JGP automatically if she hadn't been a few weeks too young (she turns 13 later this month and the deadline was July 1st). She is progressing quite well for her young age, IMO. Other standouts in Junior at Liberty were Danielle Shepard (she won the FS Final, landing several different triples, including a 2axel-3toe combo, plus good spins and footwork), Melissa Bulanhagui (2nd in the FS with high, powerful jumps including 3lutz and 3flip), and Anna Peng (she won the Junior SP Final with excellent spins).

    BTW, the Senior events judged under the new system were NOT combined (points from SP & FS were not added together), so there was no overall official winner crowned in men's, ladies' or pairs.

  2. #32
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    97
    That's pretty exciting that Scott Smith is already scoring that high and it's so early into the season. I've always been a fan of his skating and his amazing amount of potential...I hope he manages to keep it up through nats and could chance at making the podium!

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    350
    Could or has someone calculated the combined qualifying rounds of the Senior Ladies scores to determine an "overall" winner?

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    2,420
    Quote Originally Posted by orchid
    Could or has someone calculated the combined qualifying rounds of the Senior Ladies scores to determine an "overall" winner?
    Well, if you add up the SP and FS points of the top skaters in the 2 groups (keeping in mind they were judged by two different panels), the top 7 would be as follows:
    1. Emily Hughes (Group A) 56.65 (SP) + 85.21 (FS) = 141.86
    2. Christine Zukowski (Group B) 39.18 + 94.02 = 133.20
    3. Megan Oster (B) 52.24 + 76.68 = 128.92
    4. Jane Bugaeva (A) 40.73 + 75.82 = 116.65
    5. Katy Taylor (B) 35.90 + 75.08 = 110.98
    6. Megan Williams-Stewart (B) 37.40 + 72.05 = 109.46
    7. Katherine Hadford (A) 36.29 + 64.92 = 101.21

    IMO, the point totals, as well as the actual skating, do accurately reflect the convincing wins by Hughes in the SP and Zukowski in the FS.

    Blades on Ice's August 1st online edition has a review of Liberty's Senior events, including an interesting section on Rohene Ward and an invitation for him to participate in a skating tour in northern Italy this month (scroll down):
    http://www.bladesonice.com/mag/blaweb1.htm

  5. #35
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia
    Well, if you add up the SP and FS points of the top skaters in the 2 groups (keeping in mind they were judged by two different panels), the top 7 would be as follows:
    1. Emily Hughes (Group A) 56.65 (SP) + 85.21 (FS) = 141.86
    2. Christine Zukowski (Group B) 39.18 + 94.02 = 133.20
    3. Megan Oster (B) 52.24 + 76.68 = 128.92
    4. Jane Bugaeva (A) 40.73 + 75.82 = 116.65
    5. Katy Taylor (B) 35.90 + 75.08 = 110.98
    6. Megan Williams-Stewart (B) 37.40 + 72.05 = 109.46
    7. Katherine Hadford (A) 36.29 + 64.92 = 101.21

    IMO, the point totals, as well as the actual skating, do accurately reflect the convincing wins by Hughes in the SP and Zukowski in the FS.

    Blades on Ice's August 1st online edition has a review of Liberty's Senior events, including an interesting section on Rohene Ward and an invitation for him to participate in a skating tour in northern Italy this month (scroll down):
    http://www.bladesonice.com/mag/blaweb1.htm
    Thanks Sylvia - Zukowski is the one to watch this year. I saw her last year in either Jrs or Novice, I can't remember and I was impressed.

    What is goin on with Katy? Has the puberty thing got her?

    Joe

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,617
    Thanks for the link....reading the blurb on Ward just makes me want to watch him skate!!!!

  7. #37
    Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    2,802
    Quote Originally Posted by emma
    Thanks for the link....reading the blurb on Ward just makes me want to watch him skate!!!!
    Hi Emma - my video buddy!! I just saw Ward for the first time from a video that was posted from Liberty. Now I know what all the buzz is about!! I think I saw the clip off of the Skating Videos site - same site I posted the link to on the Katherine Healy thread. You might want to try there. The quality isn't great, but it's better than nothing!

    DG

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggygirl
    Hi Emma - my video buddy!! I just saw Ward for the first time from a video that was posted from Liberty. Now I know what all the buzz is about!! I think I saw the clip off of the Skating Videos site - same site I posted the link to on the Katherine Healy thread. You might want to try there. The quality isn't great, but it's better than nothing!

    DG
    Thanks DG....i tried that link for Ward a while back and the clip was in a format (forget which one) that I can't view on my computer (and I need to do some computer rearranging before i download much more, i'm actually running out of space)....but yeah, he is one of the amazing ones...creative, flexible, great edges, great technique, and imho (although this is irrelevant) aboslutely gorgeous....but just not a great competitor (and with huge money problems that means not winning = not cashing in...compounds that problem i'm sure).

    I remember Dick Button gushing over him...i think 2003...and just wishing he would keep it together in competition...saying something like if someone could just get their hands on him (i.e. the right coach) and fix his brain (or something like that, meaning his problem was phsychological)...anyway, i think that was the year abc (or whichever national network) showed him skate at nationals, but only one segment...maybe the short, i'm nor sure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. Summer competitions in US & Canada
    By Sylvia in forum 2004-05 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •