Baseball, Softball cut from Olympics | Golden Skate

Baseball, Softball cut from Olympics

kappa_1

On the Ice
Baseball, softball axed from 2012 Olympics

" The IOC will consider replacing them with two sports from a waiting list of five: golf, rugby, squash, karate and roller sports. That decision will be made Saturday.

Baseball and softball are the first sports cut from the Olympics since water polo in 1936.

Baseball has been vulnerable because it doesn't bring top Major League players to the Olympics. Softball has been in danger because of a perceived lack of global appeal and participation. "

I'm pulling for roller sports and squash (that sport's hardcore!). Rhythmic gymnastics survives again mwahahaha

So what do you guys think? Happy? P*ssed? Apathetic?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think it's a wise move. Under the previous president the games swelled beyond belief. My vote would go to karate.

What's the one where the girls use a long ribbon and dance around making various loops with it? Beats baseball?

Joe

heyang

Record Breaker
You're thinking Rhythmic gymnastics, Joe!!

Golf would only be appealing IMO if you get the pro's. Otherwise, it can lack appeal on TV.

What do they mean by roller sports? In-line skates? Skateboarding? Roller Derby?

Would Squash be too much like Tennis or Table Tennis?

I don't know, but I never watched curling before it became part of the Olympics. I'm not a huge fan of summer Olympic sports.

Buzzz

Final Flight
I sympathies to the fans of that sport. But I hope now that rugby can make it to the Olys. :)