NEW PHOTOS: Alexei Flying | Golden Skate

NEW PHOTOS: Alexei Flying

Julie O

Rinkside
Awww, fabulous of you to share these, Kathleen! It's a privilege to "be there" with you, as Alexei actually is making another one of his dreams come true.

He'll make an excellent pilot! :agree:

Julie

Blue Bead

Medalist
Thanks for the great photos, Kathleen. :agree: Alexei looks so excited and happy. How cool it is that you can create a photographic scrapbook of his flying lessons, and be so generous to share the results with us.

Did you go up with him? Those cockpit photos are super, especially #7. Will this work appear in any of the skating magazines that you write for?

Mathman

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Will this work appear in any of the skating magazines that you write for?

Mathman

Hey Mathman - glad you like them - we'll have a photo and some comments from Alexei in an upcoming issue of Canadian Aviator magazine as part of a larger story on the airplane's parachute recovery system.

This was really just for fun - have wanted him to try this since we went floatplane flying 3 years ago, and now the time was right.

One more question. :) Are you a pilot yourself, in addition to your astonishing array of other talents?

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Oh my - aren't you the sweetie-pie! (insert winking emoticon here, LOL)

Actually, my whole life (since 16) has been aviation and flying and most of my career as a commercial airline pilot - so that made this really fun to finally get to 'mix' the two: skating and flying.

Too bad we can't get Boeing to sponsor some of these skating events...there must be an endorsement opportunity in here somewhere..... :laugh:

(FOR MATHMAN: you might be interested in this as it's all about quad mechanics, math 'stuff', lol - - it's an aerospace magazine story on Alexei and Brian - came out a few months ago.
http://www.falconjet.com/whatsnew/falconer_article.jsp?DOCNUM=34237&IDOCNUM=34235
In this online version there is no photo of Alexei :scratch: but in the actual magazine - he's got a full page doing 'Racing' and there's a cool time-lapse of Timmy doing a quad which they kept on this web version, but unfortunately much smaller - in the actual mag. it's spread across two pages.)

Katya

Rinkside
Thank you so much for the pictures ... for the opportunity to share just a little of Alexei's joy of flying for the very first time :clap: :love:

Eeyora

Final Flight
To bad there are no pro skating competitions. This would have made a good fluff piece.

Julie O

Rinkside
I read the article on the Falcon page (thanks for the link, Kathleen :) ), and glommed onto the part about the hinged boots. Some information about them has been published in skating magazines in the past couple of years, and a fluff piece was promised on Canadian TV during the Junior Worlds, I think, but it never made it into the broadcast. :sheesh: Now large full-page ads for them are showing up in the skating mags. :clap:
Has anyone here heard whether any well-known skaters are now using them?

I personally hope that they (the boots) revolutionize the whole sport by becoming commonplace very soon. I'm so saddened by the constant stream of injuries and/or career-ending problems that our best skaters have suffered, like Alexei, Takeshi, Tim, Evgeny, etc.
I think that this revolution may be starting with a few far-seeing coaches who are putting their young, very talented skaters into the hinged boots. I hope so!

Julie