Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Phantom of the Opera

Well, judging by this Wild Elephants number, he actually attempted something 'cute'. Wasn't that a 'pro' number? He had no choice. Once up against the great Browning he had to do something besides schmaltzy music.

Skaters, using opera and ballet themes are like lipscynckers, imo. When the music swells, are we ooohing and ahhhing the composer or the entertainer?

btw, Brian living in SF and its implication means nothing about his skating skills.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 07-14-2005 at 09:38 AM.

Love Phantom of the Opera, only seen the movie that came out this year and love the music. Is the music hard to choragraph because a lot of it is more lines in the movie instead of songs. I think the new song Learn to be Lonely is beautiful. Got three copies of the movie.

Love Brian Boitano, hated Wild Elephants.

Who told Brian he had funk?

But Joe, I have to say, I love ooohing and aaahing to those grand old compositions. What about Shen and Zhou's Turandot at 2003 Worlds? Was it Xue and Hongbo that had us bawling like a baby, or Puccini? Did we care?

Mathman

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    He had no choice. Once up against the great Browning he had to do something besides schmaltzy music.

btw, Brian living in SF and its implication means nothing about his skating skills.

Joe
    The great Browning? Whatever shellacs your shillelagh and floats your boat, I suppose.

As for the mention of Brian living in SF and its supposed implications, I only mentioned that because it seems that on this message board the only time Brian is even mentioned is to either knock his skating or to question his sexuality.

Btw, here's a list of the music Brian has skated to in the past 17 years. It's quite varied and non-schmaltzy, actually.

Brian's music

OK - I'll leave Brian alone to his fans.

Joe

SkateFan4Life
    Dorothy Hamill skated a beautiful competitive program to "Music of the Night" from "Phantom of the Opera" at the World Professional Skating Championships in the 1980s. She wore a stunning dark blue dress and performed a great program.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    For Drama - No one can top Tollers "Il Pagliacci" program. It's a classic.

On the topic of Judges Toller says:

"The trouble with judges is that they are human beings. If they were machines they might be a little more accurate."

SkateFan4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SingAlto
    And his artistry sucks, and he only skates to opera, and all his does is jump, and he telegraphs his Lutz jump, and he can't really dance, and he has cheesy shows with the same cheesy skaters, and he's a 41-year-old bachelor living in San Francisco and we all know what that means, and he isn't college educated and Orser should've beaten him in Calgary because his artistic skills were far superior...

Ladies & Gentlemen, I present to you: The many failings of Brian Boitano. :sheesh:
    As we remember, Boitano's skating was purely technical - great jumps but little artistry or musical expression - until he teamed with Sandra Bezic, who choregraphed his 1988 Olympic short and long programs. Frankly, without Bezic, Brian probably would have gone down in skating history as just another great technical skater but not a complete skater.

As for Calgary, Orser was the defending World champion, and he certainly had the advantage of competing on his home ice. He skated after Boitano in the long program, so the judges weren't holding back marks. Had Orser landed his triple flip and his second triple axel, he probably would have won the title. However, he did not, and he looked noticeably tired towards the end of his program, and that made the difference. Remember that the technical mark was the tiebreaker
    in those days, and Boitano definitely had the edge.

The judges, IMHO, held back Boitano's marks (giving him a couple of 5.7s) to give Orser room to win. Again, had Orser skated his best program, he probably
    would have, but he didn't, and the rest is history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2