Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Jennifer Kirk announces free skate music

Rooting for the Kerrs!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3
    I am surprised though, that more people have not skated to this music or from this soundtrack...maybe they have and I've not heard it..hmmmm
    Frederic Dambier used it for his LP in 2004 (where he came 4th at Europeans) - I really liked that programme actually. Shen & Zhao also used Come What May from the soundtrack for their 2004 exhibition - also a great programme (although I can't find my tape with it on :( )

Custom Title
    Even if she doesn't place on top I think it will be a great program.

I noticed on Jenny's biography that the skaters she most admires are Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi. It seems unusual for an athlete to admit to looking up to someone that she is still competing against.

For instance, Sasha's web site does not say that her greatest thrill was winning the Michelle Kwan trophy last year.

I wonder if Jenny thinks of Michelle as being in the "older generation," and plans still to be competing after Michelle retires. Or maybe she's just buttering up Michelle so she can get renewed for COI.

Mathman

Custom Title
    Maybe, looking up to someone you are competing against is comparatively common in figure skating. For example, at '94 Nats (before anyone knew who whacked Nancy Kerrigan), it was made very clear that a young Michelle Kwan looked up to Tonya Harding, even as they were competing against each other; and Yags has mentioned how he looked up to Urmanov, even though they were competing against each other for a few years.

Looking up to someone hastens the development of a skater. It give the young skater something to achieve whether in tricks or in style.

I think the coach should not discourage this. After a time and a few competitions under his belt, the skater will find his ability to go further in tricks, and definitely develop his own unique style.

Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3