Jennifer Kirk announces free skate music | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jennifer Kirk announces free skate music

gkelly

Record Breaker
heyang said:
I think the rule is that the winner is guaranteed a spot on the team, barring qualification issues (i.e. age and/or citizenship requirements.) and medical byes (Nancy being sent instead of Michelle in 1994).

The rules were worded somewhat differently then, but don't forget, Kwan didn't win 1994 Nationals. The winner (Harding) was named to the team, and then the choice for the second spot was between the second-place finisher (Kwan) and the former world medalist/national champ who had withdrawn.

Harding was later stripped of that title, but not officially until after the Olympics, and there were legal issues about whether she could be removed from the team beforehand. However, she was always on the team to begin with, by virtue of having won Nationals.

Joesitz said:
I believe after Nats where Todd placed 4th, the deal was Todd to the Olys and Mark to the Worlds.

Eldredge did not compete at 1992 Nationals. He withdrew with injury and was named to the Olympic AND World teams by virtue of being a reigning 1991 world medalist.

The Nationals where he placed 4th was 1994, and he was always the second alternate that year, did not go to Olympics or Worlds.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I believe after Nats where Todd placed 4th, the deal was Todd to the Olys and Mark to the Worlds. Neither did well. Paul went to both, I think. Please correct.

I can't remember who got the US 3 places for the Olys in the previous Worlds.

merrywidow said:
In 1992, Wylie placed 2nd at the Olympics, Bowman was 4th & Eldredge was 10th.
At '92 Worlds:Bowman was 4th, Mark Mitchell was 5th, & Eldredge was 7th. I don't consider placing 5th & 7th at Worlds so bad.
In '91 the US men who secured the 3 spots for '92 Olympics & Worlds were:
3-Eldredge, 5th-Bowman & 11th-Wylie.

Just to clarify a few points:

Todd did not compete in 92 Nationals because of his injury (can't remember if it was his back). Because he won the bronze medal at 91 Worlds and earned 3 spots for the men, he was named to the Olympic team along with Bowman and Wylie. Mark Mitchell was named to the World team instead of Paul.

Until 1996 Worlds, the number of skaters sent to the following Worlds (and Olympics) depended on the top finisher from the country - the other placements didn't matter. If a single skater or dance team finished in the top 3 OR a pair finished in the top 5, that country was allowed to send 3 entries the next year. If the top finish was in the top 10, the country could send 2 entries the following year.

Beginning with 1997 Worlds, the finish of all the skaters was important. This helped the ladies Russia and the dance teams of France. The two entries finished 4th and 5th (Irina Slutskaya and Maria Butyrskaya; Moniotte/Lavanchy and Anissina/Peizerat). The combined placements allowed 3 entries the following year (even though the top finisher was not a medalist). This new rule hurt the US and Russian men. Both countries had 3 entries. However, Dan Hollander did not get out of qualifying and Alexei Urmanov withdrew after the short program due to a groin injury - so they got the maximum number of points (I don't remember how many) and combined with the finishes of the other skaters dictated that only 2 skaters could go to Olympics and Worlds (even though Eldredge and Yagudin won silver and bronze). The rules changed again in (I think) 1999, when it was only the top 2 finishes of a country's skaters that determined next years entries (even if a country had 3 skaters).

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
OK, now...What look is she going for in this picture from her web site?

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/jenniferkirk/graphics02/02.jpg

Mathman

"I'm ready to date a Rock Star!! Is Tommy Lee available? Jenny Kirk Lee! That's Me!!" :biggrin:

Seriously, she is a pretty girl who can pull off most any look, IMO. I'm jealous - if I intentionally styled my hair that way, people would recommend I take a shower once a week whether I need it or not. ;)

ITA with others who think this music has good potential for Jenny. Bring on the sass. I think she is among the best of the ladies who can pull of an exciting program to "show tune" type music where she really gets into character. I would love to finally see her have "her year" in seniors. But she definintely has her work cut out for her! This years nats will be so exciting.

DG

Last edited:
hrmsk8ngnutt said:
Just to clarify a few points:

Todd did not compete in 92 Nationals because of his injury (can't remember if it was his back). Because he won the bronze medal at 91 Worlds and earned 3 spots for the men, he was named to the Olympic team along with Bowman and Wylie. Mark Mitchell was named to the World team instead of Paul.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)
Thanks Herm. I believe you are correct. I had just come to forums around that time and there was much ado about the USFSA giving Todd the spot for the Olys instead of Mark who had performed his breakthrough skate. And yes, as I said, Mark went to the Worlds that year.

Joe

The world has come to an end in a nuclear disaster. Jenny Kirk alone survives, scratching out a perilous existence scavenging among the wreckage by night, hiding from the mutants by day.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/jenniferkirk/modeling/05modeling009.jpg

Superhero Jenny Kirk discovers that exposure to freak cosmic rays has given her the power to control the weather. She conjures up a storm in an awesome display of might.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/jenniferkirk/modeling/05modeling007.jpg

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/jenniferkirk/modeling/05modeling008.jpg

CIA operative Jenny Kirk goes underground, posing as a member of the Boston Bimbos, the Red Sox dance and cheerleading team, to infiltrate the baseball steroid racket.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/jenniferkirk/modeling/05modeling014.jpg

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/jenniferkirk/modeling/05modeling017.jpg

heyang

Record Breaker
SOI had a season that was Moulin Rouge soundtrack themed - just about every routine was to a song from the movie. I think that Might have been Kristi's last year as a regular cast member. She and Denis did a pairs routine to Someday I'll Fly Away (which I think Nicole Kidman sang in the movie.) It is different from Chicago, which is more jazzy and sassy. Moulin rouge is more bold or romantic depending on the song.

Eeyora

Final Flight
I think Jenny's program will be exciting and fun to watch. I think she has found her niche as a "showgirl" Will it be enough to qualify for the Olympics? The question lies on how the up and comers do? The USFSA may want to give Meissner, Hughes or Liang the experience. I do hope Jenny does well

Actually I recall reading in Scott Hamilton's book that some people were outraged that Paul Wylie made the team over Mark Mitchell because they believed Paul was a washed up skater who would never meet his potential. Boy did he orove them wrong!!! He gave the performance of his life in Albertville Finishing higher than the other US men and medaling.

Eeyora said:
Actually I recall reading in Scott Hamilton's book that some people were outraged that Paul Wylie made the team over Mark Mitchell because they believed Paul was a washed up skater who would never meet his potential. Boy did he orove them wrong!!! He gave the performance of his life in Albertville Finishing higher than the other US men and medaling.
The fans in the forums I read in those days, were more upset that Todd got the bye over Mark. No one complained about Wylie.

On topic - Jenny will be fine this season but she does have to evaluate herself as to what she will do as far as figure skating is concerned. In fact all the top US skaters have got 3As, Bielmans, speed, breathing down their backs on 2007.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Math for those pictures. I don't know why I just think those pics are so out of character for Jenny. She is so pretty without all of that makeup or anyhow the way it is applied. I wonder what photographer talked her into that or is that the real Jenny Kirk shining through.

Dee

icenut84

Final Flight
dwiggin3 said:
I am surprised though, that more people have not skated to this music or from this soundtrack...maybe they have and I've not heard it..hmmmm

Frederic Dambier used it for his LP in 2004 (where he came 4th at Europeans) - I really liked that programme actually. Shen & Zhao also used Come What May from the soundtrack for their 2004 exhibition - also a great programme (although I can't find my tape with it on :( )

I noticed on Jenny's biography that the skaters she most admires are Michelle Kwan and Kristi Yamaguchi. It seems unusual for an athlete to admit to looking up to someone that she is still competing against.

For instance, Sasha's web site does not say that her greatest thrill was winning the Michelle Kwan trophy last year.

I wonder if Jenny thinks of Michelle as being in the "older generation," and plans still to be competing after Michelle retires. Or maybe she's just buttering up Michelle so she can get renewed for COI. :laugh:

Mathman

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Maybe, looking up to someone you are competing against is comparatively common in figure skating. For example, at '94 Nats (before anyone knew who whacked Nancy Kerrigan), it was made very clear that a young Michelle Kwan looked up to Tonya Harding, even as they were competing against each other; and Yags has mentioned how he looked up to Urmanov, even though they were competing against each other for a few years.

Looking up to someone hastens the development of a skater. It give the young skater something to achieve whether in tricks or in style.

I think the coach should not discourage this. After a time and a few competitions under his belt, the skater will find his ability to go further in tricks, and definitely develop his own unique style.

Joe