Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jennifer Kirk announces free skate music

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Talking about Calgary brings up an interesting point. If Sasha and/or Michelle skip on it, then it opens up 1 or 2 more spots for American ladies at Worlds.
    Am I dreaming, or does anyone remember Kwan saying in an interview last year (last Fall) that she would like to skate until 2007? I remember thinking at the time, COOL, she wants to do olympics and one more year, then wondering...oh does that mean through 2006 but not nationals/wordls 2007??? Anyway, I really could be dreaming, but I bring this up here just as a "maybe Kwan won't skip worlds."

Thank God for Stephane Lambiel and Matt Savoie! shine's Avatar
    I thought Ye Bin Mok retired?? I would love to see her skate again. And I hope all of Liang (who SHOULD have last year by all means), and Meissner (who already did), and Hughes (who probably should have, too) all place above Kirk like are destined to. It's time they got someone new on the US team.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by emma
    Am I dreaming, or does anyone remember Kwan saying in an interview last year (last Fall) that she would like to skate until 2007? I remember thinking at the time, COOL, she wants to do olympics and one more year, then wondering...oh does that mean through 2006 but not nationals/wordls 2007??? Anyway, I really could be dreaming, but I bring this up here just as a "maybe Kwan won't skip worlds."
    What I remember is reading that Kwan said that, depending on what happened in Moscow and Torino, she might stay until 2007. I interpreted this to mean that if she continued medaling, she would stick around and try to break Henie's record.

Ahhh...Moulin Rouge is PERFECT! I loved her Chicago number and thought she had a lot of sass...

t's been a while since I've heard the soundtrack, so I can't remember if this song is an upbeat one...hope it is...

She could be AWESOME at it....hope she has lots of sassyness in it. I look forward to the costume.

I am surprised though, that more people have not skated to this music or from this soundtrack...maybe they have and I've not heard it..hmmmm

darby

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I believe after Nats where Todd placed 4th, the deal was Todd to the Olys and Mark to the Worlds. Neither did well. Paul went to both, I think. Please correct.

I can't remember who got the US 3 places for the Olys in the previous Worlds.

Joe
    In 1992, Wylie placed 2nd at the Olympics, Bowman was 4th & Eldredge was 10th.
    At '92 Worlds:Bowman was 4th, Mark Mitchell was 5th, & Eldredge was 7th. I don't consider placing 5th & 7th at Worlds so bad.
    In '91 the US men who secured the 3 spots for '92 Olympics & Worlds were:
    3-Eldredge, 5th-Bowman & 11th-Wylie.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang
    I think the rule is that the winner is guaranteed a spot on the team, barring qualification issues (i.e. age and/or citizenship requirements.) and medical byes (Nancy being sent instead of Michelle in 1994).
    The rules were worded somewhat differently then, but don't forget, Kwan didn't win 1994 Nationals. The winner (Harding) was named to the team, and then the choice for the second spot was between the second-place finisher (Kwan) and the former world medalist/national champ who had withdrawn.

Harding was later stripped of that title, but not officially until after the Olympics, and there were legal issues about whether she could be removed from the team beforehand. However, she was always on the team to begin with, by virtue of having won Nationals.

I believe after Nats where Todd placed 4th, the deal was Todd to the Olys and Mark to the Worlds.
    Eldredge did not compete at 1992 Nationals. He withdrew with injury and was named to the Olympic AND World teams by virtue of being a reigning 1991 world medalist.

The Nationals where he placed 4th was 1994, and he was always the second alternate that year, did not go to Olympics or Worlds.

Custom Title
    I believe after Nats where Todd placed 4th, the deal was Todd to the Olys and Mark to the Worlds. Neither did well. Paul went to both, I think. Please correct.

I can't remember who got the US 3 places for the Olys in the previous Worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow
    In 1992, Wylie placed 2nd at the Olympics, Bowman was 4th & Eldredge was 10th.
    At '92 Worlds:Bowman was 4th, Mark Mitchell was 5th, & Eldredge was 7th. I don't consider placing 5th & 7th at Worlds so bad.
    In '91 the US men who secured the 3 spots for '92 Olympics & Worlds were:
    3-Eldredge, 5th-Bowman & 11th-Wylie.
    Just to clarify a few points:

Todd did not compete in 92 Nationals because of his injury (can't remember if it was his back). Because he won the bronze medal at 91 Worlds and earned 3 spots for the men, he was named to the Olympic team along with Bowman and Wylie. Mark Mitchell was named to the World team instead of Paul.

Until 1996 Worlds, the number of skaters sent to the following Worlds (and Olympics) depended on the top finisher from the country - the other placements didn't matter. If a single skater or dance team finished in the top 3 OR a pair finished in the top 5, that country was allowed to send 3 entries the next year. If the top finish was in the top 10, the country could send 2 entries the following year.

Beginning with 1997 Worlds, the finish of all the skaters was important. This helped the ladies Russia and the dance teams of France. The two entries finished 4th and 5th (Irina Slutskaya and Maria Butyrskaya; Moniotte/Lavanchy and Anissina/Peizerat). The combined placements allowed 3 entries the following year (even though the top finisher was not a medalist). This new rule hurt the US and Russian men. Both countries had 3 entries. However, Dan Hollander did not get out of qualifying and Alexei Urmanov withdrew after the short program due to a groin injury - so they got the maximum number of points (I don't remember how many) and combined with the finishes of the other skaters dictated that only 2 skaters could go to Olympics and Worlds (even though Eldredge and Yagudin won silver and bronze). The rules changed again in (I think) 1999, when it was only the top 2 finishes of a country's skaters that determined next years entries (even if a country had 3 skaters).

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    OK, now...What look is she going for in this picture from her web site?

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...phics02/02.jpg

Mathman
    "I'm ready to date a Rock Star!! Is Tommy Lee available? Jenny Kirk Lee! That's Me!!"

Seriously, she is a pretty girl who can pull off most any look, IMO. I'm jealous - if I intentionally styled my hair that way, people would recommend I take a shower once a week whether I need it or not.

ITA with others who think this music has good potential for Jenny. Bring on the sass. I think she is among the best of the ladies who can pull of an exciting program to "show tune" type music where she really gets into character. I would love to finally see her have "her year" in seniors. But she definintely has her work cut out for her! This years nats will be so exciting.

DG
    Last edited by Doggygirl; 07-13-2005 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrmsk8ngnutt
    Just to clarify a few points:

Todd did not compete in 92 Nationals because of his injury (can't remember if it was his back). Because he won the bronze medal at 91 Worlds and earned 3 spots for the men, he was named to the Olympic team along with Bowman and Wylie. Mark Mitchell was named to the World team instead of Paul.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)
    Thanks Herm. I believe you are correct. I had just come to forums around that time and there was much ado about the USFSA giving Todd the spot for the Olys instead of Mark who had performed his breakthrough skate. And yes, as I said, Mark went to the Worlds that year.

Joe

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    OK, now...What look is she going for in this picture from her web site?

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...phics02/02.jpg

Mathman
    Peek-a-boo, prison inmate look, I just got out of bed, I want to have a sexy look

Dee

The world has come to an end in a nuclear disaster. Jenny Kirk alone survives, scratching out a perilous existence scavenging among the wreckage by night, hiding from the mutants by day.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...odeling009.jpg

Superhero Jenny Kirk discovers that exposure to freak cosmic rays has given her the power to control the weather. She conjures up a storm in an awesome display of might.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...odeling007.jpg

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...odeling008.jpg

CIA operative Jenny Kirk goes underground, posing as a member of the Boston Bimbos, the Red Sox dance and cheerleading team, to infiltrate the baseball steroid racket.

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...odeling014.jpg

http://www.figureskatersonline.com/j...odeling017.jpg

SOI had a season that was Moulin Rouge soundtrack themed - just about every routine was to a song from the movie. I think that Might have been Kristi's last year as a regular cast member. She and Denis did a pairs routine to Someday I'll Fly Away (which I think Nicole Kidman sang in the movie.) It is different from Chicago, which is more jazzy and sassy. Moulin rouge is more bold or romantic depending on the song.

Custom Title
    I think Jenny's program will be exciting and fun to watch. I think she has found her niche as a "showgirl" Will it be enough to qualify for the Olympics? The question lies on how the up and comers do? The USFSA may want to give Meissner, Hughes or Liang the experience. I do hope Jenny does well

Actually I recall reading in Scott Hamilton's book that some people were outraged that Paul Wylie made the team over Mark Mitchell because they believed Paul was a washed up skater who would never meet his potential. Boy did he orove them wrong!!! He gave the performance of his life in Albertville Finishing higher than the other US men and medaling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyora
    Actually I recall reading in Scott Hamilton's book that some people were outraged that Paul Wylie made the team over Mark Mitchell because they believed Paul was a washed up skater who would never meet his potential. Boy did he orove them wrong!!! He gave the performance of his life in Albertville Finishing higher than the other US men and medaling.
    The fans in the forums I read in those days, were more upset that Todd got the bye over Mark. No one complained about Wylie.

On topic - Jenny will be fine this season but she does have to evaluate herself as to what she will do as far as figure skating is concerned. In fact all the top US skaters have got 3As, Bielmans, speed, breathing down their backs on 2007.

Joe

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Thanks Math for those pictures. I don't know why I just think those pics are so out of character for Jenny. She is so pretty without all of that makeup or anyhow the way it is applied. I wonder what photographer talked her into that or is that the real Jenny Kirk shining through.

Dee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast