Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OMG, check out Irina's spiral!

icenut84

OMG, check out Irina's spiral!

Check it out! This is from her SP in the Hallmark competition. Super-extension or not, get a load of her edge!!!

www1.odn.ne.jp/~cam04900/20274123.jpg

shdotz

Re: OMG, check out Irina's spiral!

Thanks! Irina's one of my favorite skater. She's started off not so well this year; probably due to touring which means getting into poor habits.

She is dynamite!

sh

sk8ing lady2001

<span style="color:maroon;font-family:century gothic;font-size:medium;">That's wonderful! I love it, and her, so much. </span> :D

Joesitz

It looks like its out of the hip socket and not in the correct ballet position to call it an arabesque. Check out Sasha's - a true spiral/arabesque

However, I have to add during the COR performance I noticed that Irina is holding the edge longer and that is a big improvement.

Joe

LADSKATER

<span style="color:red;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:medium;">Great picture. She is using her edge well. Go Irina! Ladskater</span>

SHINE2002

Joe,
    are you sure you don't have Sasha and Irina's names mixed up?
    Irina is known for the deep edge and speed on her spiral. She is capable of spiraling across the entire ice surface like what she did in her DQ program.

rgirl181

Zowee! Thanks, Icenut! This is one of the things I love about Irina. For me she is about the speed and the movement as it happens rather than the positions (not that one is better than the other; it's just Irina's forté--and what a forté it is!).

As for the hip placement: If you look at all the skaters, none of them get a truly squared off arabesque position when they get a deep edge. Very few get a true arabesque on the flat:lol: For me, it's the combination of edge (lean), speed, line, and height. Different skaters are strong in different areas. Irina has speed and lean and acceleration (only skater I've seen who can accelerate in her spiral positions). The leg isn't as high as others and the line isn't as clean, but the power and edge she gets is phenomenal! Thanks for finding this photo that demonstrates it so well. I know some people wonder why Irina gets high marks for presentation. For myself, having seen her a lot in person, I know that a lot of her greatest qualities don't show up well on TV. When you know the judges are seeing edges like this, I think it makes Irina's presentation scores make more sense--within a good program, of course

But love that photo!
    Rgirl

mmandel

If she held the spiral positions longer, they would be more effective. She is a technically talented skater.

lilicedancer

The hip position's wrong and she needs to arch her back more, but it is much improved.

Darkchilde11201

Alright, 'Rina! Good job! Ya got the edge! Now, FIX THAT DAMN LINE!!!!

Work on the symmetry, girl! SYMMETRY!!!!!

DC

GBMalwayz

Very very impressive photo.

NatashaCo

Just WONDERFUL!!!

RealtorGal

<span style="colorurple;font-family:comic sans ms;font-size:small;">Why, oh, why can she not lift that leg up higher? She's flexible enough to do Beilmanns on both legs and yet she can't lift it to a decent height in a spiral. WHY NOT?</span>

Joesitz

Shine - Check your tapes, Irina never held her spiral more than two seconds prior to this season. It has nothing to do with speed or the edge. That picture looked good for the edge. Speed is another topic if you wish to start a thread. I don't think there will dissenters.

Joe

lottafs

*tilts head to the right* That's one hell of an edge!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast