A+/F- Lessons and Practices July 27-August 2 | Golden Skate

A+/F- Lessons and Practices July 27-August 2

starshinexavier

On the Ice
Hi All! A new week of skating is among us! Tell us all the details about your A+ (good) and F-(bad) lessons and practices this week!

ice_magick

Rinkside
A B practice...but a few A+ moments

I actually LANDED a flip Friday after 6 almost-solid hours of skating where I was too busy working on PPM, PPF and ISI-3 to worry much about flips, lutzes, camels and sits, plus an hour of teaching ISI-Tot 2 skaters that you would not wish on your worst enemy, so I'm happy!
Also, let me tell about the F- practice for all time which happened a few weeks ago before I joined this board. I decided to run through my ISI-3 test first instead of my PPM as usual. The result was that I spent the ENTIRE 45-MINUTE FS SESSION obsessively practicing a simple front-back-front change foot spin. It got progressively better for awhile, I did 2 clean ones. Then I fell and got frustrated and it got progressively worse. I banged the barrier about 7 times in frustration, and I was almost in tears. An adult skater friend came up to me and asked me what the problem was. I think I unleashed a tirade of expletives with the words "change-foot spin", "a whole year" and "program test" mixed in. Ken said, "Kiddo, I've been working on my axrel for six years." I got kind of irritated and said something about the CoF spin was totally different and it was a baby move, some self deprecating stuff. Ken left me on my own after that.
After the freestyle my lesson started and I was in such a dither that my coach wasted nearly 20 minutes giving me a combination pep talk/lecture on the evils of obsessive single-element practicing.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I am so mad. I just 30 minutes typing a reply and got an error that stated that I was replying to an invalid link. UGH!

Glacierskate is checking in.

YAZ: I tried to do the Kwan spiral that you were working on and it is very hard. I will keep trying it. How DO you do it?

RACHEL: Excellent working on passing basic! I am proud of you, and you are progressing nicely.

2LOOP: I am please to read that you got to skate. The last time that you poasted I was bummed to read that you have no ice in your school town.

CINDER: Excellent job on the run thoughs of your program! I cannot wait to see it!

I did not have much inspiration this week. I landed several of my loops, and some flipps. I am still jump shy from cracking my head. Anyone have any advice on how to regain my "have no fear" mentality? I tried a catchfoot spiral and as I got into the correct form of pulling my leg up, I promptly fell straight to the ice with no hands right on my rear...still in position. It was amusing to watch I am sure. It hurt for sure.

I hope that everyone has a great skating week. I will talk to you all later.

Glacier

Last edited:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Glacier: The key is in the transition. My COE is still far from good, but I do change edges and I'm gliding more and more on that second, outside edge. I begin the right forward inside spiral with left arm forward. As I curve on the edge I transition somewhat straight and on the flat, and only then do I switch arms and bring the right arm forward. That helps me move to my right outside edge. By the by, the more speed I start with, the better the transition and spiral. Michelle really MOVES when she does that spiral, and you need at least some speed to transition and make the change and keep going instead of pooping out.

Practicing a one foot serpentine pattern going from inside to outside edge on the line with an arm change is also good for this. Good Luck!!!:)

Glacierskater

On the Ice
YAZMEEN:
I think that I had a mental revelation when you explained it that way. I am most excited to get to the ice and try this. I am going to print this and take it with me.

Anyone talked to CINDER lately? I am missing her posts.

YAZMEEN: Keep us updated on the progress. You are doing stuff that I have not even thought of...oh the inspiration!

starshinexavier

On the Ice
Glacierskater said:
Anyone talked to CINDER lately?

For a split second I thought you were talking about my cat. Her name's Cinder and she's been known to like to step on the keyboard when people are on the computer. Now back to the regular program.

rachelstarlet

Rinkside
I was lacing up my skates and Beth, the woman who is usually at the front desk (but was somewhere else when I got there - instead I got to chat with the oh-so-charming British Basic Skills director), walked by and said, "Hey, Rachel, looks like you have private ice today!" Alas, it was not to be, as a camp group showed up five minutes later (only about 10 kids tho, it was okay), but I also wanted to point out how cool I feel that the people at the rink are getting to know me :)

F-: Kind of in a bleh mood again today (feels like half the practices within the past few weeks have been like that, ohwell) and left a half hour early. Tricia's back from vacation, so I have a skating buddy again and that helps motivate me. Also, this woman who I had never seen before came up to me and said, "You need new skates." Although that is true, and I knew she was saying it more as a word of advice, I felt that it was kind of rude (what if I didn't have the money to buy new skates, for example?) and also now I feel kind of self-concious that my cheapo skates are that visibly cheap! Ohwell, I brushed it off, but it was kinda ehhh.

A+: I worked on 3turns a lot and eventually was able to do them following the hockey goal line thing almost all the way in a half circle. That's definite progress, because before I could only stay on one foot for a little while and I had to kind of torque my body to get around. Also, I learned a valuable lesson that probably applies to all levels of skating: I started out by practicing two-foot turns along the circle, which I forced myself to do, because I was tempted to feel like "Well, now since I have *real* 3 turns, why go back to the 2 foot version?" But I think that definitely helped and I wouldn't have made as much progress if I didn't do it that way. So now I know: don't abandon the basic things! AND this was the thing I was most excited about today, actually... two little girls complimented me, one as I was just skating around smiled up at me and said, "You're a good skater," and another one, as I was coming out of a 3turn, said to me, "Wow, that was really good!" Hehe... it's nice to be on the level now of being admired by little girls :)

Glacierskater

On the Ice
RACHEL:
It is very cool that the rink folks are getting to know you. My friendships at the rink are some of the best. And it is a real feeling of belonging. I LOVE IT! About the skates: You are doing so well that she realized your potential and knows that you have those doubles inside you just waiting to come out! And It won't hurt to have that ankle support. I remember when I graduated my first pair of Riedell's. I could not wait to get them. I wore them around the house to break them in, and felt like a big girl when I was able to get them broken in. Then there were the SP Teri's from you know where. (That's a different story though...) The point is how much better you will skate, and how much better your edges will be in skates with better support. Have you decided on which skates to get?
I learned 3 turns about 2.5 years ago. While I passed them, I was not happy with them, and wanted to get deeper edges and better control. I watched a video that I have on moves in the field, and something clicked on it after 2.5 years. It helped me gain better control, and had helped me with back 3's....
On the notes of sharing the ice with little ones: I really like to see kids trying to skate. When I happen to stay over for a public session, I usually am practicing and it does seem to draw unwanted attention...I don't like being the center of attention. But it amazes me how uninhibited kids can be and they want to be around you and learn how to do 'that thing you just did'. I love encouraging up and coming ice princesses and princes. They seem to enjoy the attention that I give them as well. I find these sessions really rewarding personally. Keep up the good work, and let me know about those new skates...although your advice lady was probably speaking out of turn, it does sound like she was being a concerned fellow skater. Every rink has them. :p

Glacier

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Sorry, everyone, for being somewhat absent. I can't imagine why, but LIFE seems to be trying to intervene with my skating. Harrumph!

A++++++: I had an awesome practice & lesson yesterday. I started out kind of mopey/dopey, possibly because I've been keeping some really late hours and have had quite a bit of work-related stress lately. I didn't get to skate on Monday, so I was thinking that Friday was my last practice and my coach would be disappointed. Au contraire as they say in French (if I knew French, I might say more!).

I warmed up by exorcising my footwork demons (remember I fell and broke the wrist on one set), and was feeling pretty sure of myself by the time she arrived. She started me doing ALL the half/single jumps up through the lutz. Wow, everything went smoothly and I was opening out my free leg nicely on the well-checked landings. Who was that girl?! Then we did the spins from my program--camels, sits, camel/sits, scratch. YOWZA, it was like I was a SKATER! She had me put my shoulders back on the sit spin (I tend to round them forward), and suddenly I stopped scratching and spun around so many revolutions, I felt like Lucinda Ruh! Then she told me I wasn't using my left arm (the casted one) to full benefit on the camel, and suddenly the camel was well-centered, no scratching, and it too had many revolutions. Eureka!

Then she had me run through my program to the music, and not only did I not collapse from oxygen deprivation, but she said all the jumps were strong and the spins were good (everything can be better, but this is only the second practice where I've done the full run-through, so we were pleased). Even some of the "artistry" things are starting to show up, and at the end, I don't look like a forgotten goldfish laying on his side in a half-inch of water, gasping for oxygen. Well, until she had me power skate through a whole second playing of my music, right afterward. My music is Fire on High. At the end, it felt more like Thighs on Fire.

So I was high on excitement all day yesterday. I decided to skate tomorrow instead of today in order to give my legs a rest. But I'm all pumped up and ready to go!

I'll come back later and catch up on all the posts. Hope everyone has been well!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
F-: Nothing really, aside from skipping my lesson and ice time on Tuesday due to jet lag and overall sinus problems and tiredness from a weekend business trip.

A++++: Jumping day!!! We worked on the following jumps and combos, in order:

Waltz
Waltz-Waltz
Waltz-Waltz-Waltz-Waltz-Waltz!!! (Coach instructed me to do as many, non-stop, as I could, and dizziness took over after five of 'em!!! :p )
Half-flip, single and pattern of three in a row, out of mohawks. Also did one out of three turn just to recall how to do it!
Half-lutz Big improvement here
Half toe walley Big improvement here, too, especially on back inside edge setting up for jump
Ballet jump Already getting better extension from flexibility classes!! YAY!!!
Salchow (out of three turn)
Salchow out of back crossovers
Salchow-Waltz
Salchow-Waltz out of back crossovers!!!

And then she asked for one more combo, with which I then announced to my buds Diane and her coach Cathy that "I'm working with a MANIAC!!!!"

SALCHOW-WALTZ-WALTZ...out of back crossovers!!! And I DID IT!:D

Also tried salchow out of mohawk, which my coach usually only has skaters do if their three turn into the salchow is too swingy, which mine is not. I did pretty well with it, but I prefer the three turn entrance, which is amazing for me. Salchow improved much today based on her having me hold the three turn without jumping to "feel" the exact point where I was turning on the back inside edge and wanted to jump. When the jump was added, I had better height and distance; in fact, she says my salchow is bigger than my waltz jump!! Who'da thunk it??!!!

All in all a good day, I'm exhausted and when is that Chinese food going to get here??!!! I'm ready to eat my mousepad!!!;)

Good goind this week everyone, we've all been skating GREAT!!!

icedream

Rinkside
A+ I passed my skating test and I'm now in freestyle 4. yesterday i learned how to do a sit spin and it was actually pretty low. i learned how to do a flip as well and almost landed it. I landed my loop a few times. :D

F- my coach called me a chicken (not in a joking way) but its not such a big deal. i had a good week.

icer

Rinkside
You are all so amazing!

A+ for me- my FI 3 turns are getting more natural. Still small, and very tentative in combination, but work is paying off (especially working on those figures that help me focus on really sitting over my skate).

F-? NOoooooo, nothing that bad. But I'll give myself a C for this week's timidity on waltz jumps. What AM I afraid of? Yazmeen, you are this week's inspiration. I think (as one of my ice friend's teachers told her) I have to let myself fall more so it's no big scary deal to really push it once I have the basic move down.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Icer: Thanks for the kind words. My coach is the big inspiration. She has never allowed me to step through jumps (walk instead of actually jump) aside from stepping thru intially just to learn where I was going. We also used the harness for waltz, toeloop and salchow so I could get the hang of what height and distance felt like in a way that eased my mind.

Silly suggestion for a waltz jump? Go to any hockey circle. Do your forward outside edge to the red line of the circle, then jump, if only a little and land inside it. It was a trick another coach and friend, Diane taught me with the waltz right when I started it. I wasn't allowed to touch the red circle, so I had to be in the air, even if only just a hair, to avoid it. It was a good psychological exercise that kept me from stepping instead of jumping. Even back then (two years ago) I at least had a "paper thin" margin of "air time!!!" Good Luck. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! :D ;)

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
B+ Practice

I was disappointed at myself this morning because I took too long getting ready and so I only had 50 minutes left to skate. So I decided to go "hard" on myself and really go all out during practice. I broke my program up into 4 segments and practiced each one until I thought it looked fairly smooth. I totally conquired my [broken wrist] footwork demon, feeling very smooth on the one tht had previously slammed me down and out. I worked on each of the individual elements, and then I did one run-through. Blech! I wasn't especially pleased with the run-through, but there were far too many people in my way. On the whole, though, I felt like I put in a very sweaty 50 minutes, so I was happy.

Cinderella on Ice

On the Ice
My Failing Memory

Sorry, I had to use a second post so I could go back and read everyone's posts in order to comment. My memory just isn't what it used to be!

YAZ - wow, you are a Jumping Queen! Totally impressive roster of jumps and combos. We're very proud of you!

ICEDREAM - YAY, congrats on passing FS4. What are the elements for FS5 and how are they coming along? No offense, but it sounds like your coach was kind of a turkey when he/she called you a chicken! But sometimes we need that tough love, so hopefully you'll prove coach wrong during the next lesson.

ICER - "GOOD" 3 turns are NOT easy, even when you've done them for years. They can get sloppy, so good for you for sticking to them and working hard. And, yes, it is a good idea to let yourself fall (in the right way) so that you become comfortable with it. Then you're less likely to injure something when an unexpected one comes along, because you aren't afraid of it.

ICE-MAJICK - you shared a good message for all of us, which is that one should NEVER obsess over just one element. Sometimes something is just off. Let it go. (but thanks for sharing)

STARSHINE - I LOVED your post about my "twin," Cinder The Cat! Anytime Cinder wants to post here, she's welcome to share my spot! BTW, are you off the ice right now?

RACHEL - I agree with Glacierskater, I think that woman realized that you are good enough to "deserve" a better pair. But you're right, she was kind of thoughtless about how she did it. It's totally clue that people know who you are. That is still surprising to me when it happens at the rink, but I know just what you mean. People really DO recognize someone who is working hard to improve. And no matter what level you're at, it's inspirational to see someone stick to it. So even on your "bleh" days, you may be inspiring someone to work a little harder on their own elements! Oh, and your comment about the basics is wise. Even though I can usually land axels, many times I go back to doing once arounds, and then waltz jump/loops, just to be sure everything is in the right place. I think it really helps. So your two-foot 3s were a nice body alignment reminder. Smart cookie!

GLACIERSKATER - Hey, you inspire me, and I haven't been a little girl for ages! Your ability to "give back" and encourage the kids is fabulous. I can remember almost EVERY time "older" girls and other moms at the rink would encourage me when I was a kid. Honestly, those moments are priceless. Good for you!

WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP, everyone, let's make these last couple of days this week the ultimate in ice skating so we have lots to post here!

sk8er1964

On the Ice
icedream said:
A+ I passed my skating test and I'm now in freestyle 4. yesterday i learned how to do a sit spin and it was actually pretty low. i learned how to do a flip as well and almost landed it. I landed my loop a few times. :D.....

Congrats! Is this ISI Freestyle 4 or USFSA Frestyle 4?

Anyway, great job on the flip. That is my all time favorite jump - with the axel a very close second. I like the loop third best.

How's the test prep going, Cinderella?

Yazmeen - great job on the combo jumps (hard) and the Kwan spiral (harder, I think!)

icer - have you ever heard of a leap of faith? That's what jumping is. Yes, you may (and probably will) fall, but the faith is that eventually you will get it, and wonder why you were ever afraid of it. Visualize the jump, walk through the jump, DO the jump. Have faith that it will come out ok (even if the ok is on your rump).

I hope everyone has good practices and good skating this next week!

As far as my practices are going, I had a glimmer of hope on the double toe today. I have had a problem with crossing my legs, because when I learned them back in the dark ages, we did them with our feet parallel. So, I have been working very hard on trying to get the feet crossed, and in two jumps today my freeleg was over my other boot. Still haven't landed one on my feet. Not exactly where it should be, but much better than before. SO maybe there is hope that you can teach an old dog new tricks :D.

Started the double loop this week. Really need to get over my double sal wall - I need this one too. Maybe next week in my lesson....

Oh, we decided to test the Intermediate MIF's in September, if I'm ready. I should be, barring any disasters.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Hey Ya'll! Yes, I AM south of the mason dixon...I can say ya'll! I am not skating this week. We are having hockey camp all week and our rink is non profit (amazing as that sounds) and they don't feel compelled to always drag in a dollar. I am living vicariously though you all (proper for ya'll). I have been on the treadmill and pouring over skating tapes while running. And I am fantasizing about skating...ordered 3 Sonja Henie books today. SO I am pay some homage to the skating gods. I bought a wedding planner today, and painter the living room floor...that was good hamstring exercise. Tomorrow I paint "The Sonja Henie Room" pink. This is where Glacierskater designs and make all skating costumes...my haven. I will be back to skating next week. Oh my GOODNESS...I do have something!

I found out last night that I am taking my first USFSA test next week. Oh, my tummy just hit bottom thinking about that one. It is Pre-Bronze. I can do more stuff, but you have to start at the beginning. So, I have my induction to USFSA testing next week. Adult MIF, and whatever the othr MIF is. Then I have the Bronze in a couple months. Those alternating 3's are much harder than they look. Must master those. Next week I learn how to use my new scribe (thanks Maegan).

CINDER: Excellent job on getting out the footwork demons. I have still have not exorcised my bonk your head on the flip demons. This is going to greatly hinder me in learned that lutz that is over there lurking in the corner. how do I get brave again?
When can I see you skate? ARe you sick of me asking that yet? Oh, and I would not pay any mind to taking too long in getting ready. We ice princesses and princes need to pamper ourselves every now and then.

YAZMEEN: I have to say that I am most impressed with your progress. Little jumping bean Kwan-spiraling thing that you are. Every time I read your post, I am like oh, have to try that one. It's just stuff that I don't do with my coach. Kudos to your coach for the creativity with the different elements as well.

ICEDREAM: Welcome to working on FS4...I am there too. I really feel like I have gotten somewhere with my skating. They say it gets harder from here, but I am still loving it all the way. Please keep us posted on your progress.

ICER: When you do the waltz jump, are you getting deep in the knew on the landing and are you checking your arms when you land? Those are two things that will lend stability to the jump. Also, I have found that practicing the waltz off ice really helps too. The more you do it, the better it feels. Keep up the good work!

1964: You are braver than I! Oh to have a double! The crossing of the legs (or feet) scares me. Here's why: I am afraid that I will not be able to get my feet uncorssed when I land, and that I will face plant. Is that a real fear, or have I just shell shocked myself from the bonk your head flip move that I have coined for myself?

It is great to see what everyone is up to this week. I start my ice dance lessons next week. I will keep everyone posted (ha, get it? POSTED?) Okay it is late, I am going to finish posting and go to bed!

Good night my fellow skate friends.
Glacier

starshinexavier

On the Ice
Cindy, I have been off the ice this week. I usually coach Tuesday to Thursday, but a combination of work and the SARS benefit concert got in the way of me coaching. I'm hoping that next week will be better in terms of getting on the ice. I've got to dash off to work, so everyone keep up the great work! Happy Skating!

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Glacierskater said:
1964: You are braver than I! Oh to have a double! The crossing of the legs (or feet) scares me. Here's why: I am afraid that I will not be able to get my feet uncorssed when I land, and that I will face plant. Is that a real fear, or have I just shell shocked myself from the bonk your head flip move that I have coined for myself?

I have seen other skaters doing jumps with crossed legs come down on both toes and kind of stumble out of jumps. If they fall, their momentum usually carries them backwards or to the side. I'm not there yet, so it hasn't happened to me.

Do you know what caused your bonk your head flip move? By that, I mean have you and your coach talked about what caused you to do that. The reason that I ask is that earlier this year I fell over backwards on an axel, getting a slight concussion. Because my coach and I figured out what I had done to cause that type of fall, I wasn't afraid to try them again. There was no way I was going to make that mistake twice!