Interview with Anton S | Golden Skate

Interview with Anton S

CDMM1991

Medalist
"The sexiest man on earth, is me" Ohhhh man ... looks like somebody needs to get Anton back down to earth. :p :laugh:

Eeyora

Final Flight
Glad to see at least one skater has refused acting jobs.

Ptichka- I have never heard Garry Kasparov. Do you know who he is?

Gary Kasparov was the world chess champion in the 1980s and 1990s. He was the youngest champion in history, and very possible the best ever. While at the height of his strength, he had disputes with FIDE (the international chess federation) and split off to form a rival group, the Professional Chess Association, so for a while there were duplicate world championships.

He has been in the news most recently because of a series of matches that he played against a computer. IBMs Deep Blue program was the first that was able to beat a human chess master.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/K/Kasparov.asp

MM :)

Julie O

Rinkside
Yes, I did enjoy the interview! Tanya did a nice translation for us, and I have to admire the style of those Russian interviewers. They seem to ask questions designed to provoke answers that are a lot more impertinent than US editors allow, don't they.
Anton seems like a very funny guy. But that's what's so sexy about him, at least to me. The combination of emotional nature, looks and personality, AND a good sense of humor is devastating. :rock:

Julie

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Julie O said:
Yes, I did enjoy the interview! Tanya did a nice translation for us, and I have to admire the style of those Russian interviewers. They seem to ask questions designed to provoke answers that are a lot more impertinent than US editors allow, don't they.
I actually don't really like this particular style of interviewing. IMO, an inerviewer should be a little more respectful; some of the questions this one asked would have been more appropriate when interviewing a teen pop star than an Olympic Champion. Also, Russian language has a familiar and a more respectful pronoun form (like tu vs. vous in French, or thou vs. you in Middle English); I don't like it when interviewers use the familiar form, as though they were talking to a child (more professional journalists will use the formal pronoun for the interview even if they use the familiar one in everyday life).

The only thing I'd like to add to what MM already said about Kasparov is that he has now entered Russian politics as a very strong anti-Pitin voice. Here is an interview he gave which really goes into his political views, views on Russian future, his own cultural background ("I am born in Baku and I am half Armenian-half Jewish but my native tongue is Russian, my culture is Russian, my education is Russian"), etc. Indeed, when he says, "for many Soviet citizens in mid 80's the Kasparov-Karpov matches were sort of a symbol of fight between new and old" - he is not self-aggrandising or exagerating.

Last edited:

76olympics

On the Ice
Ptichka, your observation gave me food for thought. Do you think this interview was done for a tabloidy or teen-like publication? That might explain the format. I did think it had funny points--but I see your perspective. There wasn't much there for a serious figure skating fan-though I liked hearing that Elena kept the stuffed animals and gave any overflow to charity.

Elena is my favorite of the two for what I have read ("Second Mark" and a few articles). She seems more introverted and bookish like me. Anton is more of a regular guy hanging out with friends, becoming an entrepreneur-more extroverted in general.

I posted it because it had a light, non-consequential but diverting feel to it. But-it does verge on silly at points. Are there many tabloidy magazines in Russia now? I have always been interested in Russian culture and history and this has been easy to combine with an interest in figure skating.

Shanti

On the Ice
This interview was published in "Novosti Peterburga" ("St.Petersburg News). It's a local newspaper, not a tabloid, but not a serious too. It doesn't publish rumours and gossips but is quite reader-friendly and is intended for a wide readership (middle-class). It focuses on local news of every kind and also has sections like "Health", "Sports", "Private Life", "Horoscope", Society column etc. Interview with Anton was publishes in "Private Life". Infromal style is quite typical for such interviews (most readers are not figure skating experts or fans).

There are rather many tabloids in Russia now, the best known being "Komsomolskaya Pravda" and "Moskovskyj Komsomolets". Both of them are daily papers and have a "special" issue every Saturday. They are ranked 2 and 3 in Top 5 of the most popular Russian newspapers.

Ptichka, I hope it's OK that I answered a question that was addressed to you :) ;)

Last edited:

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Shanti, I actually thank you for answering those questions. I haven't been living in Russia for the past 17 years, so I am naturally a bit out of the loop :)

76olympics

On the Ice
Thanks very much, Shanti! All of that information is very interesting to me. I hope I can visit St Petersburg someday...(wish, wish).

(Thanks too, Ptichka)

Last edited:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ptichka said:
I actually don't really like this particular style of interviewing. IMO, an inerviewer should be a little more respectful; some of the questions this one asked would have been more appropriate when interviewing a teen pop star than an Olympic Champion.
Ptichka, I agree about the style of interviewing. I was amazed at especially one question asked.:sheesh: Other than that I enjoyed reading it. I noticed Anton at SOI this last year of how good his body looked and how handsome he was. I really love his and Elena's skating. I am happy they won the Olympics.

Dee