Skate America article | Golden Skate

Skate America article

heyang

Record Breaker
Ugh! I need to check, but I think I have to work that weekend. Otherwise, I'd definitely try getting tickets for Saturday and/or Sunday.

Are all the top competitors committed? We've had withdrawls in the past. When's the deadline to commit to competing?

Eeyora

Final Flight
Exactly I would guess Michelle and Sasha are planning on competing. It is crucial for Michelle. I just hope both of them are healthy and injury free.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I wonder just how crucial the GP really is? Of the six ladies who qualified for the GP final, Michelle beat 5 of them at Worlds. Furthermore, Sasha didn't do the GP, either -- what she did do (and what Michelle didn't do) is make her programs for the events under the 6.0 system as close to the CoP-friendly program she did at Worlds -- so when she got to Worlds, she was more familiar with her program, and could get her elements done correctly (which is also what Michelle didn't do -- especially in QR) (Since the GPF is in Japan, but only two weeks before Nats, I wouldn't be surprised if some top American skaters tried to skip it -- if they can)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Hmmm... I'd love to go, but if I drive it's 6.5 hours each way, and I don't think I want to spend $$$ on flying.

I'd be easier for me to go to Montreal, but they're just having the Junior Grand Prix.

Last edited:
I always look at the GPs as a chance to work out the kinks in a program. The competition itself, is a few steps above the cheesefests because it involves the international community of figure skating. I believe they are a big push for the skater in achieving his main goals for Worlds or Olympics.

However, I believe the skaters do want to win these competitions so there is an element of a real fight to win. This struggle to win is what raises eyebrows before the Worlds and Olys.

Whereas the GPs are real competitions between international skaters, the Cheesefests are a kind of treat by the Americans saying: This is my new costume; this is my new music; this is my new program.

Good Luck to all the skaters entered in Skate America.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I always look at the GPs as a chance to work out the kinks in a program. The competition itself, is a few steps above the cheesefests because it involves the international community of figure skating. I believe they are a big push for the skater in achieving his main goals for Worlds or Olympics.

However, I believe the skaters do want to win these competitions so there is an element of a real fight to win. This struggle to win is what raises eyebrows before the Worlds and Olys.

Whereas the GPs are real competitions between international skaters, the Cheesefests are a kind of treat by the Americans saying: This is my new costume; this is my new music; this is my new program.

Good Luck to all the skaters entered in Skate America.

And not forgetting that the cheesefests are long program only where the GPs are both SP and LP which in turn is less gruelling than tne QR, SP, LP format of worlds (though not the Olympics).

Ant

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree, the GP would be more helpful, especially in an Olympic season. I would actually love it if Michelle told the usfsa that she was going to skip the December cheesefest. That is the one IMO, which is very poorly timed, being so close to the GP Final and just one month before Nats.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing.

Interesting that they list Kwan as a participant. That's pretty risky on their part considering Kwan suddenly pulled out last year on short notice. On the other hand, barring injury I think we can count on Cohen being there- I think she said she really wanted to go but just couldn't.

Julie O

Rinkside
I believe there must be some pressure on Michelle to compete at Skate America. And I assume the pressure would be applied courtesy of the USFSA. As for the December competition (I enjoy these and in December they come to the Palace of Auburn Hills and I can attend lol), Michelle has had contracts to appear in all the of them in the past years, and I again "think" that the contracts are with ABC Sports. Please correct me on this if I'm remembering it wrong.

Julie

nymkfan51

Medalist
Red Dog said:
Thanks for sharing.

Interesting that they list Kwan as a participant. That's pretty risky on their part considering Kwan suddenly pulled out last year on short notice. On the other hand, barring injury I think we can count on Cohen being there- I think she said she really wanted to go but just couldn't.

Well I guess they don't consider it such a big risk.

I do think it is important for Michelle to compete at Skate America and Cup of China and do everything she can to win. Michelle has to position herself to be at the front of the line when protocol judging starts giving out favors in Torino.

Judges are only human. When a skater can step onto the ice saying "Listen up, judges, I am the best skater you ever saw," that has to give them a nudge toward generously rewarding her strengths and forgiving her weaknesses. In the last two years Michelle has put herself in jeopardy of losing this advantage (right now it's in Irina's court).

The best thing for Michelle's Olympic chances is to "do an Irina" -- blitz the GP, winning everything in sight.

I think the worst thing she could do is come to Skate America (or even to the Campbell's event) with a half-baked program and try to play catch-up.

Mathman

CDMM1991

Medalist
Mathman said:
I do think it is important for Michelle to compete at Skate America and Cup of China and do everything she can to win. Michelle has to position herself to be at the front of the line when protocol judging starts giving out favors in Torino.

Judges are only human. When a skater can step onto the ice saying "Listen up, judges, I am the best skater you ever saw," that has to give them a nudge toward generously rewarding her strengths and forgiving her weaknesses. In the last two years Michelle has put herself in jeopardy of losing this advantage (right now it's in Irina's court).

The best thing for Michelle's Olympic chances is to "do an Irina" -- blitz the GP, winning everything in sight.

I think the worst thing she could do is come to Skate America (or even to the Campbell's event) with a half-baked program and try to play catch-up.

Mathman

ITA!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
I do think it is important for Michelle to compete at Skate America and Cup of China and do everything she can to win. Michelle has to position herself to be at the front of the line when protocol judging starts giving out favors in Torino
[snip]

In the last two years Michelle has put herself in jeopardy of losing this advantage (right now it's in Irina's court).

Same here.

Mathman

I think she is in this position already, but to each his own.

I WOULD say the GP gives feedback, but very little actually. We could analyze the results to death and that still wouldn't get us anywhere when the question of "Who will do well at the Olympics?" comes up.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman ... I think the worst thing she could do is come to Skate America (or even to the Campbell's event) with a half-baked program and try to play catch-up. Mathman[/QUOTE said:
There is IMO a difference between a program that announces "I used my lack of injury to catch up with a vengeance -- and this is just the beginning -- you ain't seen nothing yet!" vs. "I'm catching up ... I'm getting there" -- regardless if it is at Campbell's or at SA.

I'm just so excited to be going to Saturdays events, I'm not that particular about who will be there.
I'm almost more excited about the fact that, even tho I only live an hour and a half from the Jersey shore, I haven't seen the ocean in over 2 years! I think I'm gonna head down early enough to go stick my toes in the ocean!

attyfan said:
There is IMO a difference between a program that announces "I used my lack of injury to catch up with a vengeance -- and this is just the beginning -- you ain't seen nothing yet!" vs. "I'm catching up ... I'm getting there" -- regardless if it is at Campbell's or at SA.
That's a great point.

Still, in sports there is nothing like winning. Think what would happen if Michelle beat Sasha at Campbell's (even though that's not such an important one), then came back and won again at Skate America, and then beat Irina and Shizuka at Cup of China. That might turn our Torino expectations upside down.

At least it would give us something to talk about for the next few months, LOL.

Mathman

I got my tickets today. One section off center ice and I believe it's row 6....row FF the tickets say. Can't wait!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
That's a great point.

Still, in sports there is nothing like winning. Think what would happen if Michelle beat Sasha at Campbell's (even though that's not such an important one), then came back and won again at Skate America, and then beat Irina and Shizuka at Cup of China. That might turn our Torino expectations upside down.

At least it would give us something to talk about for the next few months, LOL.

Mathman

It possibly might, and it's certainly not out of the question, but there's still the pressure factor. She'll be the favorite once again. Would she be able to handle it a third time?

Judging by the pressure on her at 05 Nationals, and given the way she responded, I personally wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you Kwan fans.

As for Campbell's it's anyone's game, since no one comes prepared anyway (it's kind of like a sports league pre-season if you will). SA and CC, I'm not even sure if MK is going to even BE there, let alone win those events.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMO, I think that Nats '06 will be quite different from Nats '05, as it is both under CoP and a qualifier for Olys. I have always thought that what happened to Kwan in '94 would have been too traumatic not to have an effect -- and I think the effect of '94 is to make her extra driven to win at Nats, especially at Oly qualifiers. So far, her competitors have been unable to meet this extra drive. However, this Nats will be judged under the CoP, so Sasha might be able to pull it off -- but with Michelle's extra drive, I'm somewhat doubtful.