Thing that I have noticed about this site and Sasha Cohen | Golden Skate

Thing that I have noticed about this site and Sasha Cohen

Well to me it seems like everyone hates her.. and I dont really understand it. People do have their opinions.. but it seems like everyone on this site hates her. And people questioning her flexability??.. wow I am sorry but you have to be stupid to not think she is flexable. I am a sasha fan, just if u are wondering. And yes she does use alot of classical music.. but maybe that is just her thing, like to me michelle kwan always uses kinda of exotic music.. and that is kinda her thing. Well maybe not always.. but sasha doesnt always use classical either. Anyways, it seems like most people are jealous.. that is just what I am getting from some coments people make about her. Also, her I spin.. well I think you think its ugly because it is not as graceful, and sometimes doesnt go along with her classical thing.. but I think it was what the judges expect from her, and if it is what the judges want to see then I dont blame her for doing it. So why do we really hate Sasha??.. I mean it could be because she reuses music but thats kinda lame. It could be other thing, so explain it to me. :scratch:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
There will be a lot of people who say that the "Sasha-bashing" is due to the fact that fans of another skater (usually identified as Kwan) Sasha is a strong rival to, if not more successful internationally than, their favorite skater. I don't buy this very much; there are too many who like both Michelle and Sasha. IMO, the greater the expectations , the more the bashing when the skater doesn't deliver as expected. This is one reason why Michelle got slammed so heavily this past year -- after Campbell's, "Bolero" showed a lot of promise that never materialized. Similarly, in '04, Peggy -- as well as many skating boards -- criticized Sasha because, despite all the hype, and every opportunity to do so, she couldn't hold things together in the free skates enough to win. What is worse for Sasha is that it is on nationwide TV. If Junior Worlds had been shown on TV, Kimmie would have gotten slammed; considering the way she has been hyped, she'll get it heavily next year if she doesn't do well.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
oOSC_I*S_PrincessoO, you're clearly new to this site. Perhaps it would have been helpful for you to spend some more time reading various threads before making such a blanket statement.

Ptichka said:
oOSC_I*S_PrincessoO, you're clearly new to this site. Perhaps it would have been helpful for you to spend some more time reading various threads before making such a blanket statement.

No I am not "new" to this site.. I Have been reading all of the threads for a long time... and I have just recently made an account so I cold write a thread.. so yea I have read all the threads.. thats why I COMMENTED about them

Then read them more carefully. Sasha has a good sized fan base here and her non fans acknowledge her to be a top skater in the US and Worlds.

Maybe, you are the kind of fan that loves a lot of gushing. Most fans here, if they gush, it is usually in fun. We in Golden Skate tend to be a somewhat more adult and acknowledge good skating.

Joe

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
oOSC_I*S_PrincessoO said:
No I am not "new" to this site.. I Have been reading all of the threads for a long time... and I have just recently made an account so I cold write a thread.. so yea I have read all the threads.. thats why I COMMENTED about them
oOSC_I*S_PrincessoO, I think it took a lot of courage to post and I appreciate what you had to say. I, too, am a Sasha fan. I could watch her skate all day even when she is not perfect. I have been posting for about 2-3 years and have found that it takes a little thicker skin sometimes to just overlook some of the comments made about Sasha. Someone had commented that she is just a little brat, which she may be, I don't know and I don't care. She will never be a friend or in my life so that means nothing to me. What I question is what does that have to do with her skating? Nothing in my opinion. Does she reuse music? I guess so, but I don't care. Her music choices for me doesn't matter but how she skates to them and uses her beautiful positions. That makes the music magical for me. Am I wrong for thinking that? Maybe, but they are my thoughts. :yes:

oOSC_I*S_PrincessoO, keep posting here. I have learned a lot from the Gsers here and I love posting here. :thumbsup:

Dee

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
Just for the record, as I'm sure it was my post you were referrring to on the flexibitlity issue. I wasn't questioning Sasha's flexibility. Its obvious that she is very flexible. What I was questioning was her flexibility technique and whether or not it was good for her back. I was wondering if it was something that was contributing to her back problems.
I don't know what has given you the impression that everyone here hates Sasha, especially considering I think people are nicer to her here than they are on any other board (besides sashafans).
criticisim doesn't equal hate

nymkfan51

Medalist
Actually, Sasha is no more picked on than Michelle or Irina. When you get to their level, it pretty much goes with the territory. They are 3 of the best in the World, and I would imagine, given another successful year from Carolina, you'll most likely see the comments towards her become more negative too. Doesn't make it right, or easy to deal with if you are a big fan of one of them ... just the way it is.
This is a wonderful site. The mods try their best to keep things fair and decent, and they do a great job IMO. :clap:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Peggy Fleming, always a great admirer of Sasha Cohen, once commented that it may be Sasha's flexibility that contributes to her jump problems. Sasha gets into those amazing positions, then has to unwind herself to set up for the next jump. It is perhaps her getting first into, then out of those poses that causes her to land awkardly on the jumps.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
Well to me it seems like everyone hates her.. and I dont really understand it. People do have their opinions.. but it seems like everyone on this site hates her

It seems to me that you are making false assumptions and asking us to explain them or justify them. The fact of the matter is that everyone here does not hate Sasha. Many of us are very impressed by her talent and want to see her reach her full potential. The same is true for every skater. You may be sensitive to the remarks, because Sasha's skating is dear to your heart. That's natural, but just because her skating isn't as dear to other people doesn't mean that she is hated.

*And people questioning her flexability??.. wow I am sorry but you have to be stupid to not think she is flexable. I am a sasha fan, just if u are wondering. And yes she does use alot of classical music.. but maybe that is just her thing, like to me michelle kwan always uses kinda of exotic music.. and that is kinda her thing. Well maybe not always.. but sasha doesnt always use classical either. Anyways, it seems like most people are jealous.. that is just what I am getting from some coments people make about her. Also, her I spin.. well I think you think its ugly because it is not as graceful, and sometimes doesnt go along with her classical thing.. but I think it was what the judges expect from her, and if it is what the judges want to see then I dont blame her for doing it. So why do we really hate Sasha??.. I mean it could be because she reuses music but thats kinda lame. It could be other thing, so explain it to me.

I think that you need to understand that this is not a skater specific fan site. This board is for fans of figure skating . It does make a difference in the type of threads and the focus of the conversations. Obviously we all know that Sasha has great flexibility. We are interested in discussing the technical aspects. How does she achieve this flexibility? What effect does it have on her overall skating.? It's about the skating much more than the skater.

As far as music goes, I am sick of most of the pieces that most of the skaters have used. This is my pet peeve of the moment and there are many skaters who are not bothering to be creative with their musical choices. I don't want to see another Carmen/Swan Lake/Tosca/Nutcracker program by anyone. I think there are many fans as fed up with the music choices as I am. It's not just Sasha. The majority of skaters are doing the same old thing.

I have been a fan of skating for over 30 years now. I have seen generations of skaters come and go. I believe many of the posters here can say the same. It does give you a different perspective on the sport. After all this time, I am not interested in building idols or tearing them down. I just want to discuss skating. That is very different than what gets said on fan sites. I hope this board doesn't change, I've enjoyed it so much.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I don't think many if any of our members "hate" any skater. They may not drool, bow, or worship the ice she skates upon, but that doesn't mean we're Sasha haters.

I am not a fan of Sasha's however I think she is beautiful on the ice in most of her positions. I just haven't really ever gotten into the chosen favorites in ladies figure skating. I'm more of an underdog fan in that category :laugh: Sasha was thrust upon the American public by the media practically from day one. I don't like any form of the media telling me who i should like/who should be the next champion. So I rebel :laugh: I guess that's not fair to Sasha, but still.

To be honest I'm not into ladies skating that much anyway, but before you go and get upset, really pay attention. We have just as many Sasha fans as Michelle fans... but this is the offseason so the pettiness has to come out :sheesh: it's just a fact of nature I guess :scowl:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
How can you hate someone you don't even know? :scratch:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well to me it seems like everyone hates her.. and I dont really understand it. People do have their opinions.. but it seems like everyone on this site hates her. And people questioning her flexability??.. wow I am sorry but you have to be stupid to not think she is flexable. I am a sasha fan, just if u are wondering. And yes she does use alot of classical music.. but maybe that is just her thing, like to me michelle kwan always uses kinda of exotic music.. and that is kinda her thing. Well maybe not always.. but sasha doesnt always use classical either. Anyways, it seems like most people are jealous.. that is just what I am getting from some coments people make about her. Also, her I spin.. well I think you think its ugly because it is not as graceful, and sometimes doesnt go along with her classical thing.. but I think it was what the judges expect from her, and if it is what the judges want to see then I dont blame her for doing it. So why do we really hate Sasha??.. I mean it could be because she reuses music but thats kinda lame. It could be other thing, so explain it to me. :scratch:

Wow, wow. That's a HUGE assumption on your part to make. EVERYBODY here hates her? Yes, a few people here have bashed her before. However, I see many other skaters (for example, Sarah Hughes) bashed a lot more frequently than Cohen is here. I don't think SC is really disliked here. (Nor do I think she is liked. From my experience, people generally have a neutral view on her, and that's the way it should be right? This isn't a SC fan board. [On the other hand, if I read that Kwan thread, I think immediately, "MKF II"].)

You said you are a Sasha fan. That explains it easily. In many cases, fans of a skater will see any comment that is not positive towards their fav as a bash or a slight. That also explains why so many Kwan fans get mad every time someone doesn't worship her. But this is normal, so please don't take this to heart. It's perfectly OK to like anybody you want. But problems occur when people begin to get on the defensive about their favorites. I've seen this happen with Kwan fans, Cohen fans, Slutskaya fans, you name it.

It works the other way too. Some people simply don't like a skater, so any comment you make that's not negative, they think you're a crazed fanatic.

You are entitled to your opinion. But saying that other people are "jealous" just because they don't share your opinion is not good. It would be much better if you explained what it is about Cohen that you like, reasoned why you think everyone else doesn't like her without name-calling, and opened the forum for discussion.

In one case, you may be right. There are people here who just don't like her. But that's just a vocal few. In fact, though, I'd venture to say that there are people here who don't like (insert name of skater) here as well.

Julie O

Rinkside
The answers to the first post in this thread have made me proud to be a (still rather) new member here, because I see the well-thought out, fair and measured responses that made me join in the first place. Thanks, all! :clap:

Julie

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker

Princess, as a confirmed uber Kwan fan, I can understand your confusion on some posts ~ because sometimes its hard to seperate your "fandom" of Sasha from a general love of the sport. When I first started posting here, I would get all in a lather if Kwan wasn't acknowledged as the Greatest of All Time (which of course she is... ;) ) and jump on the defensive... But, what I've grown to understand and respect about the posters here is that while we may not agree on who's the best ~ we tend to agree that bashing isn't the point. But rather thoughtful discussion and productive conversation. That's just the way it is... and the way it should be.

What I would suggest you do is to respond to the individual post that has sent you over the edge vs. making a general post about Sasha haters. Not that you aren't entitled to feel that way, but it increases your crediability, allows you to develop relationships with other posters and gives you the opportunty to explain why you think someone is wrong in their assessment of Sasha's technical & artistic abilities. (Rather than calling them stupid...)

Nobody likes a troll (unless its really late at night & I can't sleep & need entertainment :biggrin: ) and its counterproductive to begin your posting here in that vein... there are other sites for that...

We're figure skating fans... the most civilized sport on the planet! ;)

jesslily

Final Flight
There are people who like Sasha's skating very much, and there are also some people who don't like her skating. But I think more people really enjoy Sasha's and talked about her all the time. If you count the threads here for the past year probably you'll find Sasha's threads are much more than any other skaters. If people really "hate" her, they wouldn'y comment her so often and so much. I assume that people mostly want to talk about something making them happy. Nobody wants to constantly talking something making himself upset. Sasha is not perfect, but overall she is still the most beautiful skater.

CDMM1991

Medalist
No matter who you choose it's easier, and more interesting to talk about a skater's flaws than their strengths. Think about it. A whole thread of people saying Sasha's fantastic, I know!, I think so too! wouldn't be that interesting, so even fans of Sasha like myself, still like to talk about her flaws because it's a bit more interesting. The thing I like most about this website is the debate between posters, and you can't have a one-sided debate. Someone's got to win.

Well, I dont think I said that you all hated her, I was just saying that it seems like it.. which in my opinion is completely diffrent.. because it is true about what you said on how can you hate someone whom you dont know. Bravesskatefan (I think your name was) I wasn't referring to your post.. I realize that you were talking about her technique, and I completely understand that.. I was referring to the replies (some of them) you got from them. I am a philosophy major.. so I am working on becoming a Philosopher so I do question and try to understand the truth. So this is one of the reason why I made this.. to understand why the comments were made about Sasha. Your replies kind of helped me to understand it more.. because I thought that you all were just kind of trashing her.. in a way.. but now I realize that you weren't. So don't get me wrong and think that I didn't know anything.. because I have thought about it which took me so long to start a thread.

Also, I do realize that alot of things in my post were worded wrong.. sorry

The jealousy thing.. well I kind of got that impression from some people.. but it could just be me.

One more thing, I completely realize that this site is about all figure skaters.. but just this thread was about Sasha.. as of more threads.. and I dont quite understand that comment that someone made.