Thing that I have noticed about this site and Sasha Cohen | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Thing that I have noticed about this site and Sasha Cohen

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Sasha

I'm a Sasha fan. I've been a figureskating fan for 40 years and in my opinion Sasha Cohen is the most beautiful skater I've seen to date. I've loved her skating since the first time I saw her when she was 13 years old.

At this point, it doesn't matter to me whether she ever achieves a national, world or olympic gold medal. As far as I'm concerned her legacy is her exquisite positions, gracefullness most skaters only dream of and flexibility that is hard to match.

There is a lot of criticism of Sasha on this forum but I accept that as the opinion of others and they have a right to voice them.

One other thing, I find something I like in almost every world-class skater even those who I don't consider my favorites. By the time a skater achieves top competition, each and every one has something special to bring to the ice.

Dizzy

dizzydi7 said:
One other thing, I find something I like in almost every world-class skater even those who I don't consider my favorites. By the time a skater achieves top competition, each and every one has something special to bring to the ice.
I second that. :agree: And I would go on to say, even for the next level of performers, these are young people who have been going through some of the most rigorous training of any sport, not to mention spending hundreds of thousands of dollars of their parents' money, just to achieve competitive excellence and to entertain us.

A pro basketball player can sit at the end of the bench, never making any contribution to the team, and still pull in more money in a season than I'll ever see in my lifetime. So if I pay out my hardearned cash and see a dismal performance, I have the right to boo.

Not so for our guys and gals on the ice. Only a miniscule number of young skaters will ever make a dime out of their efforts, much less break even. I applaud them all. :clap::clap::clap:

Mathman

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm a Sasha fan just as I am a fan of Michelle or Tara or Kristi or Dorothy or Peggy. Just as I am a fan of Johnny & Evan & Todd & Brian & Scott, etc. IOW's I am a fan of American skaters. I can admit to having a national bias but it doesn't mean I exclude skaters from other countries that I admire. I can't tell you how often I've jumped in & defended Sandhu. I truly believe that if he could skate clean programs he would be the 2006 Olympic champion & I'd be happy for him. The thing is all skaters from all nations deserve to be respected. The only excuse for putting any skater down in order to make your favorite look good is plain & simple childishness.

orchid

On the Ice
Isn't the criticism of a skater really fan frustration and that the skater does not perform as one expects ?

Therefore, this site is not bashing rather expressing that frustration.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Well, I don't hate Sasha. I think she is a gifted skater.

Kasey

Medalist
I do not care for Sasha. But I don't bash, and I don't post about "hating" the poor girl. I think very few people do.

As someone said, perhaps some of the negative emotions about a certain skater is feeling that they do not live up to their potential. I don't know, but it could be the case for some fans of Sasha.

And as someone else said, even the skaters I do not like, I can usually like something about them. I think Sasha has a lot of talent and gorgeous flexibility/positions. That doesn't erase the fact that her skating leaves me cold. But I certainly don't think that because I feel a certain way everyone else should also.

I'm glad that you clarified your initial, rather generalized post, and realize that people normally discuss all skaters here with respect.

Kasey