Simple (?) Computer Dilemma | Golden Skate

Simple (?) Computer Dilemma

Suzy

On the Ice
For some reason lately, when I go to Tools/Internet Options to clear History -- the history will still appear when I log on again. Sometimes it doesn't, though. I'm just wondering why it is doing this lately. Very bizarre. Any advice?

CDMM1991

Medalist
If you simply press the X at the corner of the internet options box to close the window then it won't, but if you press ok then it should work every time:) Hope that helps:)

Last edited:

Suzy

On the Ice
That's what I did but it still shows where I've been. It used to work before, but not it doesn't and I'm wondering why that is.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Suzy, I would suggest running a anit-spyware/anti-adware program. Lots of times these "beacon" program ( so named because they send a signal of where you've been) will simply copy your favorites and history and keep it in a temp file where it will just re-established even after you've manually cleared them.

That should solve your problems and is a VITAL tool for anyone uses the internet. The other maintainance tool to use is to choose the "delete all offline files" button.

Hope this helps.

Suzy

On the Ice
Thanks, I've done all the above and this morning -- guess what -- history items still appear! There is some type of Adware 180 that my Norton found a few weeks ago that I can't seem to get rid of -- this must be causing it because that's when I started noticing the History items couldn't be deleted. Supposedly this Adware 180 is a "threat" but still pisses me off that it retains my history for anyone to get on the computer and use.

Do you think then after all the attempts to correct that it is the Adware 180? It's detected in my Recycled files but when I go there to delete it -- it won't let me.

Thanks for your help.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Try SpyBot search and destroy. I've had good luck with it getting rid of persistent infections. It's freeware, and you should update the definitions each time before you use it.

Adaware is good for getting rid of a different class of infections. Also freeware.

Suzy

On the Ice
Thanks for all your help. I removed the 180Adware by manually going through the Files section? I followed the Norton Antivirus instructions somewhat but the thing is the bug is actually hidden in files and not labeled like Norton said they would be, so I looked at a few recently created files and decided to delete those and -- voila! -- it did the trick. Hard to explain but I am getting better at this kind of stuff. :clap: Thanks again!