Yagudin interview - translated | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yagudin interview - translated

Thanks for the explanations, Ptichka. I did read a lot into them and perhaps I should not have.

Ptichka said:
Alexei was only 24 when he won at SLC; his life up until then was pretty much one-track. Actually, it's not surprising at all for a 24 y.o. to grow more mature by 27. Anton is a different question. He always appeared more mature to me in the first place; however, he apparently has or had such a temper he was called Psychorulidze by his teammates.

I should have been clearer. I was not sure what he meant by 'mature'? His win in SLC was very mature and very deserving. His private life (none of my business but I think that's what he was talking about) is now different. But how?

Joe, where on Earth did you dig up this opinion on what US government should do? I've never read Alexei say anything on the subject.

I was being envious of the Russian System which promotes figure skating with many perks. To me, the Russian athletes and athletes of communist countries always had an edge on athlete's who had to rely on family and friends. From what I read, Russia still has a Ministry of Arts and Sports. Todd Eldridge was lucky, he got an entire town to help finance his sport. Other Americans happen to have wealthy families, and still others, just can't afford the bills.

I see no contradiction. I don't like it when people who immigrate to the US speak ill of it, but I have no problem with those who come here to work doing it. How many of us have spoken harshly of companies that employ us while being happy with professional work the company allows us to do? The same logic could apply - the company is keeping my dreams alive, yet I have no praise for it.

I didn't read it that way. It seemed to me he was striking out at the countries he's involved in for not making him a 'hero'. Mea culpa. I could have jumped to a conclusion. (I agree with your statement and could add one doesn't have to be an immigrant to distrust his boss.)

Sikhuralidze isn't married. I am not sure who else he is friends with other than the admittedly married Kulik. As for living with parents - not only is it far more common in Russia than it is here, it does not carry the stigma that US attaches to it.
I was not thinking of his 'friends' but of his environment. Aren't all the men (and women) in SOI either married with kids or going hot and heavy with someone? (I think Anton, although not married, is quite involved.) When they make conversation off the ice, it's probably about the 'kids'. Yags is not involved and it is probably all in English which I can understand as being tiresome after a while.

That's pretty true in New York. At 30 a single person should be roomates with someone of the opposite sex, if not married. And definitely away from the parents.

Joe

76olympics

On the Ice
Mathman-you are one bad equation! Has your family been indulging in the vodka tonight? Actually, I heard that Yagudin is jealous that Anton and Elena are secretly married.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
Alexei was only 24 when he won at SLC; his life up until then was pretty much one-track. Actually, it's not surprising at all for a 24 y.o. to grow more mature by 27.
Just nitpicking a little bit, but Yagudin was actually 21 when he won Olympics, he turned 25 this year in March. I think many times he seems older than he really is, he certainly has had a very "full" life and achieved many things at a young age. And he always seems to have so many projects and ideas for the future.

Thanks for the translation, it's always interesting to read these in depth interviews. I'm happy for him, he seems to deal very well with his responsabilities and still always manage to enjoy himself.

maria 05

Spectator
Hi Mathman !
Thank you sure will post again and try and make it longer .My goal.... a Joesitz lenght post :laugh: ....and Ptichka good points ...

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mathman said:
I heard that Anton and Elena are secretly married. :biggrin:
Mathman
..........................and I heard that you and Rgirl are secretly married. :clap: Now, fess up to that one and please.............leave the vodka alone!! :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
A single person should be roomates with someone of the opposite sex, if not married. And definitely away from the parents.
I lived with my parents until I got engaged. Seemed totally meaningless to waste money on my own living accomodations once my parents and I came to a good mutual understanding. Many of my friends do the same. In fact, the house my husband and I bought is only 2 miles from my parents (and perhaps 5 or so from his; same distance from my grandparents). Could never see the need to get away from the parents to assert one's independence.

Anyway - on to the question of "maturity". First of all, as I've said, most people mature in their 20's. This is the time when one really grows into his/her philosophy. Secondly, it does seem that only after his Olympic win was he able to look around and see something more than just skating.

Last edited:

curious

Final Flight
why would alexei be jealous if anton and elena were secretly married? I don't think they are but who knows :biggrin:

Ptichka - Not taking any sides on the imbilicle(sp) chord. Just my 2 cents on what happens in my home town. BTW, during holidays, there is mayhem here to get back to the parents so it's not just leaving them and never seeing them again.

Skaters like dancers, imo, when they really get maturity show it in there skating. B&S and S&P are skating better than either did in SLC, and Gorsha and Sur are for me just about the most polished couple on blades. There have been some very young lady Olympic champions who have never reached that stage later in life. Two male skaters I was never crazy about, Todd and Ilia Kulic, are now very mature and a joy to watch. So maturing is not just about medals, and as you say, growing up to life outside skating is maturing. :thumbsup: JMO

Joe

Zanzibar

Final Flight
I think Joe raises some excellent points and has a very thoughtful insight into the psyche of many of the skaters he discusses on this board.

Essentially Alexei has grown and matured a lot over his Olympic reign. But he does not like to be alone for long - some people thrive on living alone, and spending a lot of time solo. He likes to be in a family environment, which is one of the reasons he's chosen - even though he could afford a mansion of his own - to live with a complete Russian family in CT.

Since he's been back in Russia a short time, it only makes sense to stay with his Mom and Grandmother, who are eager to spend time with him and more than happy to have him there. But, he is shopping for his own apartment (not just one to rent out like most of his properties) in Peter and will probably get one in the near future.

Where I see Alexei being so impressive is in the handling of his career. He is never content with status quo - things must constantly move forward. There is no 'resting on his laurels' and even now he racks his brain to try and come up with something - anything - that can top last season's SOI aerial 'Passion' routine. This is what sets him apart from other skaters who may be as good or almost as good as him athletically and artistically, but they lack the career drive. Or... maybe not. Because as I think Joe was pointing out, if you're not careful you can be a person who is never content because you think contentment is always one more medal, one more performance, etc. away.

But there's no getting away from the fact that his driven personality is one of the most compelling things about him.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
curious said:
why would alexei be jealous if anton and elena were secretly married? I don't think they are but who knows :biggrin:

Yags said how he had (unsure if tense is accurate) a crush on Elena, and went with Tatiana to buy a ring to pop the question -- and then got cold feet. Maybe, he thought that while they were touring together, he'd get another chance? (OTOH, the woman on SOI he spoke about the most was Sarah -- who he described as one of the [if not the] nicest of the American ladies)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
BTW, during holidays, there is mayhem here to get back to the parents so it's not just leaving them and never seeing them again.
True, and I really don't want to get into this issue right now, but I do believe that problems of community alienation which contribute (IMHO) to many social ills in this country, do begin with the pre-conceived notion of a forced separation from one's parents.

Skaters like dancers, imo, when they really get maturity show it in there skating. B&S and S&P are skating better than either did in SLC, and Gorsha and Sur are for me just about the most polished couple on blades.
ITA. However, I think that B&S could have never achieved that on-the-ice maturity in eligible skating. Elena does not exactly have nerves of steel. Perhaps having been in abusive relationships also didn't help her relax. Even when they were skating in eligible ranks, I felt that their best performances came in exhibitions.

curious

Final Flight
attyfan said:
Yags said how he had (unsure if tense is accurate) a crush on Elena, and went with Tatiana to buy a ring to pop the question -- and then got cold feet. Maybe, he thought that while they were touring together, he'd get another chance? (OTOH, the woman on SOI he spoke about the most was Sarah -- who he described as one of the [if not the] nicest of the American ladies)

if he were indeed jalous he wouldn't be close or hanging so much with anton don't you think? :biggrin:

76olympics

On the Ice
Curious, I was just kidding about Alexei being jealous--since Mathman was joking around also. Actually, I had forgotten the story that Alexei was once interested in Elena. Anton has recently said that he and Elena are like family now --no romantic involvement since long ago.