Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yagudin interview - translated

On the Ice
    Thanks for the translation. Once again Alexei contradicted himself, since he didn't stay in Russia until SOI, etc. but headed back to the U.S. for a flying lesson, an appearance at Sun Valley, and who knows what else.

I've reread the translation and here's my take:

He loves Russia where he is easily recognized. (Why not? He is just not a movie star in the US.)

He and Anton became friends after both matured. (Why were they so immature before?)

Coaching requires getting up early in the morning. (Yup)

He's beating all those overage skaters in the Pro Competitions. (Isn't that what a recent Oly champ is expected to do?)

Interest in figure skating is dying in the US (agree!). Programs are more interesting the previous year. (his opinion! Others would add, if you've seen one ice show, you've seen them all.)

America lacks its own athletes to take top honors. (The americans should force their government to subsidize figure skating as is done in Russia.)

Most ice performances (not his I presume) are too conservative. They need a WOW! (Amen!)

He's not buying a house for himself until he has a family of his own. (OK - anything going in that direction?)

He' still wants to work with SOI and have his contract extended. (Where else will he be able to do what he loves and still make money?)

He still seems to me, to be a boy in flux. His expectations are never met. He is dependent on Canada and the US to keep his dreams alive yet he has no praise for them.

He lives with his parents and has no girlfriend that he speaks of. All his colleagues are not only married but are fathers. They have other things to talk about off the ice.

JMO. Am I reading too deeply into this?

Joe

Rinkside
    Thank you for the translation !
    Fun to read his honest point of view .Sad that figure skating is not so populair in the states any more .Luckily this is not the case in Europe .Its on its way up
    All his colleagues are not only married but are fathers.
    Hm so when did Anton marry ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    He loves Russia where he is easily recognized. (Why not? He is just not a movie star in the US.)
    No. He loves Russia, or to be more exact St. Pete's. (You can't imaging how much I enjoy just driving around the city. Just walking along the Nevsky. I can't stop being amazed at how many gorgeous people our city has.). Having been around the world he can now truly appreciate St. Pete's. In addition, it's really cool to be recognized.

He and Anton became friends after both matured. (Why were they so immature before?)
    Alexei was only 24 when he won at SLC; his life up until then was pretty much one-track. Actually, it's not surprising at all for a 24 y.o. to grow more mature by 27. Anton is a different question. He always appeared more mature to me in the first place; however, he apparently has or had such a temper he was called Psychorulidze by his teammates.

He's beating all those overage skaters in the Pro Competitions. (Isn't that what a recent Oly champ is expected to do?)
    Sure, there's a bit of boasting there. To my mind, though, this is more like - hey! I'm there with the stars! I'm as good as they are! No, really, I am!

America lacks its own athletes to take top honors. (The americans should force their government to subsidize figure skating as is done in Russia.)
    Joe, where on Earth did you dig up this opinion on what US government should do? I've never read Alexei say anything on the subject.

He still seems to me, to be a boy in flux. His expectations are never met. He is dependent on Canada and the US to keep his dreams alive yet he has no praise for them.
    I see no contradiction. I don't like it when people who immigrate to the US speak ill of it, but I have no problem with those who come here to work doing it. How many of us have spoken harshly of companies that employ us while being happy with professional work the company allows us to do? The same logic could apply - the company is keeping my dreams alive, yet I have no praise for it.

He lives with his parents and has no girlfriend that he speaks of. All his colleagues are not only married but are fathers. They have other things to talk about off the ice.
    Sikhuralidze isn't married. I am not sure who else he is friends with other than the admittedly married Kulik. As for living with parents - not only is it far more common in Russia than it is here, it does not carry the stigma that US attaches to it.

Hi, Maria 05, welcome to Golden Skate. I'm glad you have started posting. Post often, post long, LOL.

I heard that Anton and Elena are secretly married.

Mathman

Thanks for the explanations, Ptichka. I did read a lot into them and perhaps I should not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka

Alexei was only 24 when he won at SLC; his life up until then was pretty much one-track. Actually, it's not surprising at all for a 24 y.o. to grow more mature by 27. Anton is a different question. He always appeared more mature to me in the first place; however, he apparently has or had such a temper he was called Psychorulidze by his teammates.
    I should have been clearer. I was not sure what he meant by 'mature'? His win in SLC was very mature and very deserving. His private life (none of my business but I think that's what he was talking about) is now different. But how?

Joe, where on Earth did you dig up this opinion on what US government should do? I've never read Alexei say anything on the subject.
    I was being envious of the Russian System which promotes figure skating with many perks. To me, the Russian athletes and athletes of communist countries always had an edge on athlete's who had to rely on family and friends. From what I read, Russia still has a Ministry of Arts and Sports. Todd Eldridge was lucky, he got an entire town to help finance his sport. Other Americans happen to have wealthy families, and still others, just can't afford the bills.

I see no contradiction. I don't like it when people who immigrate to the US speak ill of it, but I have no problem with those who come here to work doing it. How many of us have spoken harshly of companies that employ us while being happy with professional work the company allows us to do? The same logic could apply - the company is keeping my dreams alive, yet I have no praise for it.
    I didn't read it that way. It seemed to me he was striking out at the countries he's involved in for not making him a 'hero'. Mea culpa. I could have jumped to a conclusion. (I agree with your statement and could add one doesn't have to be an immigrant to distrust his boss.)

Sikhuralidze isn't married. I am not sure who else he is friends with other than the admittedly married Kulik. As for living with parents - not only is it far more common in Russia than it is here, it does not carry the stigma that US attaches to it.
    I was not thinking of his 'friends' but of his environment. Aren't all the men (and women) in SOI either married with kids or going hot and heavy with someone? (I think Anton, although not married, is quite involved.) When they make conversation off the ice, it's probably about the 'kids'. Yags is not involved and it is probably all in English which I can understand as being tiresome after a while.

That's pretty true in New York. At 30 a single person should be roomates with someone of the opposite sex, if not married. And definitely away from the parents.

Joe

Mathman-you are one bad equation! Has your family been indulging in the vodka tonight? Actually, I heard that Yagudin is jealous that Anton and Elena are secretly married.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    Alexei was only 24 when he won at SLC; his life up until then was pretty much one-track. Actually, it's not surprising at all for a 24 y.o. to grow more mature by 27.
    Just nitpicking a little bit, but Yagudin was actually 21 when he won Olympics, he turned 25 this year in March. I think many times he seems older than he really is, he certainly has had a very "full" life and achieved many things at a young age. And he always seems to have so many projects and ideas for the future.

Thanks for the translation, it's always interesting to read these in depth interviews. I'm happy for him, he seems to deal very well with his responsabilities and still always manage to enjoy himself.

Rinkside
    Hi Mathman !
    Thank you sure will post again and try and make it longer .My goal.... a Joesitz lenght post ....and Ptichka good points ...

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    I heard that Anton and Elena are secretly married.
    Mathman
    ..........................and I heard that you and Rgirl are secretly married. Now, fess up to that one and please.............leave the vodka alone!!

Dee

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    A single person should be roomates with someone of the opposite sex, if not married. And definitely away from the parents.
    I lived with my parents until I got engaged. Seemed totally meaningless to waste money on my own living accomodations once my parents and I came to a good mutual understanding. Many of my friends do the same. In fact, the house my husband and I bought is only 2 miles from my parents (and perhaps 5 or so from his; same distance from my grandparents). Could never see the need to get away from the parents to assert one's independence.

Anyway - on to the question of "maturity". First of all, as I've said, most people mature in their 20's. This is the time when one really grows into his/her philosophy. Secondly, it does seem that only after his Olympic win was he able to look around and see something more than just skating.
    Last edited by Ptichka; 07-25-2005 at 11:36 AM.

Custom Title
    why would alexei be jealous if anton and elena were secretly married? I don't think they are but who knows

Ptichka - Not taking any sides on the imbilicle(sp) chord. Just my 2 cents on what happens in my home town. BTW, during holidays, there is mayhem here to get back to the parents so it's not just leaving them and never seeing them again.

Skaters like dancers, imo, when they really get maturity show it in there skating. B&S and S&P are skating better than either did in SLC, and Gorsha and Sur are for me just about the most polished couple on blades. There have been some very young lady Olympic champions who have never reached that stage later in life. Two male skaters I was never crazy about, Todd and Ilia Kulic, are now very mature and a joy to watch. So maturing is not just about medals, and as you say, growing up to life outside skating is maturing. JMO

Joe

Custom Title
    I think Joe raises some excellent points and has a very thoughtful insight into the psyche of many of the skaters he discusses on this board.

Essentially Alexei has grown and matured a lot over his Olympic reign. But he does not like to be alone for long - some people thrive on living alone, and spending a lot of time solo. He likes to be in a family environment, which is one of the reasons he's chosen - even though he could afford a mansion of his own - to live with a complete Russian family in CT.

Since he's been back in Russia a short time, it only makes sense to stay with his Mom and Grandmother, who are eager to spend time with him and more than happy to have him there. But, he is shopping for his own apartment (not just one to rent out like most of his properties) in Peter and will probably get one in the near future.

Where I see Alexei being so impressive is in the handling of his career. He is never content with status quo - things must constantly move forward. There is no 'resting on his laurels' and even now he racks his brain to try and come up with something - anything - that can top last season's SOI aerial 'Passion' routine. This is what sets him apart from other skaters who may be as good or almost as good as him athletically and artistically, but they lack the career drive. Or... maybe not. Because as I think Joe was pointing out, if you're not careful you can be a person who is never content because you think contentment is always one more medal, one more performance, etc. away.

But there's no getting away from the fact that his driven personality is one of the most compelling things about him.
    Last edited by Zanzibar; 07-25-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by curious
    why would alexei be jealous if anton and elena were secretly married? I don't think they are but who knows
    Yags said how he had (unsure if tense is accurate) a crush on Elena, and went with Tatiana to buy a ring to pop the question -- and then got cold feet. Maybe, he thought that while they were touring together, he'd get another chance? (OTOH, the woman on SOI he spoke about the most was Sarah -- who he described as one of the [if not the] nicest of the American ladies)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast